• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010
    Hmmmm? I think I'll still need to listen to the clips.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I'll be damned....so they DID manage to squeeze two CD's out of this?

I have 0 (zero) PATTON CD's after recently having sold my RSNO recording (it's just not a score I care very much about in any variation, at least not as album....I haven't seen the film), and it's going to stay that way. But I'm impressed by how many times they've managed to package this, Lucas-style. Guess there's a neverending supply of Goldsmith nuts.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love this score... but hmm. Not sure I'm going back to this particular well. The 1970 LP program is, I think, by far the best (I do have the LP, though not the means to play it any more) - certainly vastly superior to the film tracks.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Hmmmm? I think I'll still need to listen to the clips.

Yeah about Gathering, there are no clips to be found ! sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Search "gathering of eagles goldsmith" on YouTube - there's plenty of tracks!! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010
    Looks like Intrada will release a 2 CD set of FIRST BLOOD on Monday.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I saw that. I can't remember more than a couple of minutes of music in the film which wasn't on the album, so I guess they must have discovered some unused stuff or something. I think the existing album is perfect, but let's see what they come up with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Looks like Intrada will release a 2 CD set of FIRST BLOOD on Monday.

confused

These expansions are getting out of hand. What's next, an expansion of the complete LORD OF THE RINGS sets?

It pains my heart and soul that useful resources and money are wasted on these things.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    These expansions are getting out of hand. What's next, an expansion of the complete LORD OF THE RINGS sets?

Eh... talk about being overly dramatic. Your comment would have made sense if First Blood had been expanded already.

Thor wrote
    It pains my heart and soul that useful resources and money are wasted on these things.

Then don't buy it (which you won't) yet fans of Goldsmith and the score WILL. There is a demand for these releases weather YOU like it or not therefore useful resource and money have NOT been wasted.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Southall wrote
    I saw that. I can't remember more than a couple of minutes of music in the film which wasn't on the album, so I guess they must have discovered some unused stuff or something. I think the existing album is perfect, but let's see what they come up with.

I'd read that people didn't think that there was much missing from what had already been released. So it will be interesting to see what is also coming. Maybe an unknown unused score? (No foundation at all for that last statement.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Eh... talk about being overly dramatic. Your comment would have made sense if First Blood had been expanded already.

Thor wrote

Then don't buy it (which you won't) yet fans of Goldsmith and the score WILL. There is a demand for these releases weather YOU like it or not therefore useful resource and money have NOT been wasted.

-Erik-

I'm sure they will. And while I realize it's not an either/or question, somehow I imagine all the resources going into a premiere release of an unreleased score instead of a soundtrack that is 100% perfect the way it is.

I think the focus is all out-of-whack among record labels (and the fan community, for that matter), augmented by the easier access to materials and rights over the last few years.

Now if someone released an ABBREVIATED album out of a score that is only available in C&C (like Mancina's BAD BOYS or Arnold's GODZILLA or Williams' GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN)....THEN we'd be talking!

Ah well....it all boils down to subjectivity, I guess. But still quite frustrating.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor if you don't want the complete score, make your own shorter playlist. At least that's possible. The other way around is a lot trickier I think. wink

And I agree with Erik, even though I'm not interested in First Blood complete (I don't even have the vanilla album), it's great for all the people having wanted such a release for many years. You can't please everyone, but if you can please some people, it's not wasted money or resources.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor if you don't want the complete score, make your own shorter playlist. At least that's possible. The other way around is a lot trickier I think. wink

We most definitely need a Thor FAQ for this sort of stuff. biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor if you don't want the complete score, make your own shorter playlist. At least that's possible. The other way around is a lot trickier I think. wink

Why would anyone want to spend all the time necessary to do that? A commercial product is being released, it should be the best product possible. It's not like these things are done as a favour to consumers, we are expected to buy them, therefore they should be made in the best way possible. I suspect that has already been done for this particular score, but I'll wait and see what Intrada has up its sleeve. If all they do is add in the missing two minutes (or whatever) and rearrange the cues into film order then blatantly that's a total waste of time but from the amount of hype they've given it, I would hope and expect that not to be the case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Why would anyone want to spend all the time necessary to do that?

I do it all the time. It's fun! I've condensed many complete scores into my own personal playlist. I like having the option to choose the tracks I want to listen to instead of some one else doing it for me and leaving some great music off the album.

Goddammit... now you've gone and done it. I didn't want to rehash this but whatever.

-Erik-
  5. Let's just quote a MOD at JWFan on Thor -- for future reference:

Alright guys, this has gone on long enough.

Thor, we know your opinion, you've rehashed it a million times in a million ways on this board, FSM's, and others.

I'm officially asking you to please stop derailing positive threads with your anti-C&C posts. If you want to create your very own thread where you and anybody who wants to post in it can rag on C&C release and praise OSTs, you are very welcome to, and I assure you it will never be locked or deleted.

But in a thread where people were having a good time talking about what scores they would like to see in complete form, your never-ending anti-C&C posts accomplish NO good.

By all means, please stay on JWFan, just stop derailing threads to have your opinion heard. We get it.

I think the most ironic/funny part was, after Thor started his own thread, they locked it. biggrin
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Poor Thor, so misunderstood. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    I do it all the time. It's fun! I've condensed many complete scores into my own personal playlist. I like having the option to choose the tracks I want to listen to instead of some one else doing it for me and leaving some great music off the album.

I just don't have the time to do it justice. As I've said many times, if they gave some kind of suggested tracklist or, better still, presented the best album possible and stuffed the rest on as bonus tracks, that would be perfect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't have the time to do so either; too much work, too little time for this kind of stuff; i just want to pop the cd in, or the mp3 up, enjoy the music and that's it; i want 100% usage of my extremely limited time going in pleasure and not something someone else is paid to do for me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't have the time for that either, nor should it really be required of a consumer (album producers produce albums, not consumers!). But hey, I have a faint feeling we've been down this road before. And Erik, I actually DO have a FAQ ready for this particular question. Let me paste it in here:

FREQUENTLY-ASKED-QUESTION NO. 1:

"So why don't you just arrange your own album out of a C&C presentation?"

ANSWER:

1) I'm not a record producer and record producing is an artform. So I leave that to the actual artists and professionals (especially if it's the composer him/herself producing). I don't usually fix my own sink or build my own house either. I get qualified plumbers and carpenters for that.

2) It should not be required of the consumer to complete the product. You buy a finished product, including a finished presentation of the music. Otherwise, it would be a bit like buying a car, but getting it in pieces and asking you to put it together yourself!

It often amazes me that some people think anyone can put together an album that will automatically be just as good and thought-out as if Danny Elfman or John Williams or whoever had done it, the actual composers of the music. There's a lot more going into album production than picking out the tracks you like!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010
    Swings and roundabouts.
    I prefer well thought-out "best presentations".
    I find my mood, preference and interest (generally!) is best served by a helping not exceeding one hour.

Therefore I will always prefer a briefer or "symphony hall" presentation.
    That said, if all that is available is a longer or complete release, I'll happily trim it down to contain only my favourite cues in a good flow (luckily I have a good ear for that so it's pretty automatic), to make sure I am left with a five star listening experience rather than a three star complete but tedious/repetetive work.

I don't see any real issue, except one: record producing is NOT an art form.
    It's a craft, and anyone can learn to do it.
    So while I prefer to let craftsmen do it, in a pinch I'll do it myself.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. to make things official, here it is

FIRST BLOOD (2 CD) $19.99

Label: Intrada MAF 7111
    Date: 1982
    Tracks: 33
    Time = 87:19

Home at last! 2-CD world premiere of complete Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack for megahit Ted Kotcheff action movie where Sylvester Stallone first introduces iconic Rambo character to moviegoers and legendary composer first unleases landmark action music to listeners. Hear FIRST BLOOD like never before, complete and from multi-track masters for the first time! Many years ago Intrada presented score as it's very first limited edition CD, drawn from original 1982 1/4" two-track stereo LP masters with one additional track courtesy Goldsmith and engineer Len Engel. Tapes were processed with less-than-satisfying noise reduction to compensate for problems inherent with incorrect Dolby-encoding of 1/4" masters. Subsequent Varese Sarabande label CD used same master for its version. Now, back at home on Intrada, FIRST BLOOD finally appears in complete fashion with best audio ever! Goldsmith prepared terrific album in 1982 but resequenced entire program, edited numerous important bars of music to allow assemblies with other cues. Thanks to discovery of actual pristine condition 1/2" three-track stereo session elements made in London, Intrada presents entire score in sequence, restores all edits, allows magnificent music to unfold in sequence originally written. But there's more! Goldsmith recorded three different endings so producers could determine which way to go for closing credits. Familiar Dan Hill vocal version (the final choice) was actually preceeded in sessions by also-familiar but not-used orchestral version (It's A Long Road Instrumental). But multi-track masters revealed rare "pop" orchestral arrangement by Arthur Morton, conducted by Goldsmith with full National Philharmonic playing famous theme replete with additional pop rhythm feel. Neat arrangement! (Hear this track as start to complete score on CD 1.) And there's still more! Entire original 1982 album with unique edits and assemblies by Goldsmith appears here on CD 2, completely remastered from multi-tracks. Still more extras include equally rare "demo" version of theme made by composer and lyricist Hal Shaper to audition song prior to recording with Hill plus stereo presentation of Carolco logo, composed by Goldsmith for international presentations of film and subsequent productions. And one last - and very rare - musical treat! After success of initial film, sequel went into production for 1985. But full year before, Goldsmith composed & conducted magnificent version of theme (with Bruce Botnick engineering no less) in spectacular new arrangement composed exclusively for special summer '84 trailer. Powerhouse cue appears for first time anywhere as finish to CD 2, presented from 1/2" three-track stereo masters made by Botnick. Finally, in honor of Intrada's 25th Anniversary, notes by Douglass Fake offer brief journey down memory lane with emphasis on Goldsmith and importance of this particular score to label's history. Great value: all of this is yours for the price of a single CD! Jerry Goldsmith conducts National Philharmonic Orchestra.

CD 1 – Complete Original Soundtrack
    01. Theme From First Blood [Pop Orchestra Version] 4:07
    02. Home Coming 2:21
    03. My Town 0:59
    04. Under Arrest 0:45
    05. The Razor 2:37
    06. A Head Start 1:03
    07. Hanging On 2:02
    08. Over The Cliff 1:26
    09. A Stitch In Time 0:57
    10. Mountain Hunt 4:52
    11. No Truce 0:39
    12. First Blood 4:45
    13. The Tunnel 3:25
    14. Escape Route 2:36
    15. The Truck 1:00
    16. No Power/Night Attack
    17. Hide And Seek 0:57
    18. It’s A Long Road (Instrumental) 3:22
    19. It’s A Long Road (Theme From first Blood) Vocal: Dan Hill 3:19

CD 1 Total Time: 45:14

CD 2 – Original 1982 Soundtrack Album
    01. It’s A Long Road (Theme From First Blood) Vocal: Dan Hill 3:19
    02. Escape Route 2:36
    03. First Blood 4:35
    04. The Tunnel 4:00
    05. Hanging On 3:26
    06. Home Coming 2:20
    07. Mountain Hunt 6:01
    08. My Town 1:55
    09. The Razor 3:05
    10. Over The Cliff 2:05
    11. It’s A Long Road (Instrumental) 2:51

Total Original Album Time: 37:00

The Extras
    12. It’s A Long Road [Recording Session Piano/Vocal Demo] 3:18
    13. Carolco Logo 0:19
    14. Rambo [Special Summer 1984 Trailer] 1:15

Total Extras Time: 4:57

CD 2 Total Time: 42:05
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010 edited
    The clips don´t play for me. From the announcement, it certainly sounds like something Goldsmith fans should have. However, they really go a long way to describe how awesome this is, which is exactly what makes me take a closer look. A pop arrangement of the famous theme is not exactly what I would be looking for. A simple reedit of most of the stuff we had before, but in better sound quality? Sounds nice, but do I really want seven tracks around or under the one-minute mark? The trailer arrangement of the theme could be great. Need to play those clips.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010
    the multi-track session masters—complete and intact -- every channel, every reel, every take.

For the first time, all of those interesting little bars Goldsmith deleted to create his initial record could be restored within the full-length cues just as they were originally written and recorded.

A brand new presentation of First Blood would finally be possible, unfolding to audiences in the proper picture sequence, uncut and intact

I'm sure this will find a nice home with the Goldsmith and/or C&C crowds.
    Much as I love this score, though, I'll stick to the excellent album presentation.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm the Goldsmith crowd and I'm afraid it won't find a nice home with me - though I must admit I'd like to read the liner notes with Doug Fake's Intrada story.

I do find it rather odd that the press release itself goes on about how wonderful the original album was and then a few words later says that the fact it's in the "proper picture sequence" is a virtue. If the original album's so good, why would anyone want to hear it in proper picture sequence?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If the original album's so good, why would anyone want to hear it in proper picture sequence?

Moneys.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. I'd call myself one of the "Goldsmith crowd" but I will be passing on this. As people have already mentioned, the earlier album presentation is good enough to satisfy.
  9. I see that this new Intrada release of First Blood is not limited.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Great score. Varese is fine. The End.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Thor wrote
    Great score. Varese is fine. The End.

biggrin

I'm also the Goldsmith fan, but I'll let this one pass too

that's already 3 Goldsmith fans who say no shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh