• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010
    Make that 4.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    I do find it rather odd that the press release itself goes on about how wonderful the original album was and then a few words later says that the fact it's in the "proper picture sequence" is a virtue. If the original album's so good, why would anyone want to hear it in proper picture sequence?

Are you seriously STILL asking these questions. Don't you get it?

There are two camps. The C&C camp and the the camp that loves the album presentation. Actually, there's a third camp that's likes both. Some people want to hear the score as it was conceived for the picture from cue 1M1 til the end credits. What is so wrong about that? Right... nothing. Just like there is nothing wrong with people who like album presentations. Intrada here is offering us both, all three camps should be happy, let's move on.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010 edited
    Yes, that's fine. Of course I understand that. I commented because it's a really strange thing to say in the press release ("The old album was so brilliant and we all think it's perfect and you all have that, but we've decided to release it this way instead.")

They're only charging a single CD price for it so for anyone who doesn't own the old album, this release is perfect. No problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010
    Bingo! And having re-read my post above I came off like a total jerk. Sorry James.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010
    La-La Land has released a 2-CD version of Star Trek V.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've been trying to sell my old copy of that score (since I find it rather mediocre), and I'm guessing it's going to be impossible now that this is out. So to me, this is only bad news. For most others, it's probably the opposite.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek V was the very first soundtrack I ever bought. I still love it now. Even though I am rarely a fan of extended editions, I'm very much looking forward to this one.
  1. Southall wrote

Is this the title you hinted at earlier in the week that you were waiting for?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote

confused

Nothing on La-La Land's home page (yet)...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Excellent news to me! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Why-o-why didn´t they release the complete 3 CD version of Star Trek IV first...?

Oh. Wait a minute. I see.

Forget what I said.

wink

THIS IS GREAT NEWS INDEED!
  3. HELL YES !!!! Great news! cheesy

Star Trek V is a welcome one, and complete out of the blue too.

I always found the original release a little short. Love the wonderful Jerry sound on Trek V, probably my next favourite after his work on TMP.

And Horner's Jade is being released too. Not too sure about it though.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2010 edited
    FILM SCORE MONTHLY presents: Poltergeist (1982)
    Limited Edition of 10,000 Copies.
    Composed by: Jerry Goldsmith

Jerry Goldsmith was at the peak of his phenomenal powers when he scored Poltergeist, Steven Spielberg’s 1982 film about paranormal activity. With this 2CD set, FSM presents the definitive edition of one of Goldsmith’s finest and most popular works—including the complete film score on Disc 1 and the original LP soundtrack album (along with a few previously unreleased bonus cues and alternates) on Disc 2.

Poltergeist was produced by Spielberg and directed by Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre). Set in a fictional Southern California development, it tells the harrowing tale of a typical suburban family whose home is invaded by demonic spirits. It blends elements from previous Spielberg films in a new mix that is part sci-fi, part horror, and part contemporary thriller—all genres in which Jerry Goldsmith excelled.

Goldsmith’s score flows effortlessly between hard-core, dissonant modernism and some of the most lyrical, humanistic music he ever wrote. It is both a marvel of musical construction and a visceral listening experience. Composed over an uncharacteristically long period of fifteen weeks, the music for Poltergeist evokes both child-like simplicity and sheer terror. The complete presentation of the score on Disc 1 includes several passages that were not used in the film.

Mike Matessino restored Goldsmith’s Poltergeist score from the three-track stereo film mixes for this release; Bruce Botnick, the film's original recording supervisor, did the digital mastering. The deluxe 28-page booklet features an informative and perceptive essay on the film and score—incorporating remarks by the composer—and a complete cue-by-cue analysis by Matessino.

As a bonus, disc 2 also includes the re-recorded suite of cues (including one previously unreleased) from Goldsmith’s The Prize (1963). Originally recorded for MGM LP, four of these tracks were included on FSM’s CD of the complete score (FSMCD Vol. 5, No. 16), but all five have now been remixed for superior sound quality from newly-discovered ½” three-track masters.

The CD booklet also includes a personal reminiscence from Bruce Botnick about the 1982 Poltergeist recording sessions, as well as the original LP notes by Steven Spielberg. In the legendary producer’s words, “Jerry’s music conjures many classical impressions of ferocious drive and at the same time, cathedral beauty. So…let the imagination wander. Pleasant dreams.”

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … EIST-2-CD/
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2010 edited
    Hmm. A few years ago, this would've been an instant purchase, but since I've got the previous Poltergeist release, which really is enough for me, I would only purchase this for the improved sound. The bonus is fun, but not a selling point. And when I hear that hiss in the tracks, I'm not sure if there's enough improvement. So this'll most likely be a purchase for those that missed the previous release.

The inclusion of The Prize, more than anything, bothers me. It's a complete break with the mood of the Poltergeist score and has no business in here. They're just filling the CD up. Fine for those that want it, but if you want to remaster it, give it it's own release. Or combine it with another score with little material. Over here, it's an unwelcome afterthought, no matter how high the quality of the music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2010
    I'll be giving it a miss too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2010
    I even sold my ol Rhino CD, as I don't really like it in the first place (except the theme, which is kinda nice).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Sold! But what's with the irrelevant "bonus" tracks? There must be something more appropriate they could have added.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Thor wrote
    I even sold my ol Rhino CD, as I don't really like it in the first place (except the theme, which is kinda nice).

Kinda nice??? confused

It's freaking as beautiful as a woman's curves.

Not sure if I'll get the new Poltergeist, my Rhino copy has provided me with plenty of terror and enjoyment in the past.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. About Poltergeist, I see the new album is slightly rearranged but not that much has been added compared to the Rhino presentation.

And the bonus CD, I don't know! Sounds like something for true collectors.

Might give it a miss, even though it's my favourite score by Jerry.
  7. Thomas just informed me that LINK from 1986 is available for purchase through Intrada.

I'm getting it. Sounds like good old fashioned 80s synthesized fun. Plus the Legend-like theme won me over.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011 edited
    I had never heard this one before, but I have always known it as a rare entry in Goldsmith's discography and a fan favourite. Well, I can only imagine what the collectors are feeling now that their precious original release is null and void....

As for the music, I went over and listened to the clips, and found that it's a testament - once again - that ol' JG had no CLUE about using electronics (neither alone nor with an orchestra). Some charm, GREMLINS-style, in the main theme, but otherwise quite annoying.

On the plus side again, though, it must be a treat to Goldsmith completists who could never afford the original.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011 edited
    That's just his quirky way of using electronics and blending them with the orchestra. I love most of the scores from around that time where he used electronics. Now I hope we'll be hearing more of that theme, because the clips don't show it, except track 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    That's just his quirky way of using electronics and blending them with the orchestra. I love most of the scores from around that time where he used electronics. Now I hope we'll be hearing more of that theme, because the clips don't show it, except track 2.

Well, to each their own. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Goldmith synth farts is something that i could never find the pleasure in listening to.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas just informed me that LINK from 1986 is available for purchase through Intrada.

I'm getting it. Sounds like good old fashioned 80s synthesized fun. Plus the Legend-like theme won me over.

good for you bud, we need more Goldsmith material
    even if they aren't classics, it still is Goldsmith smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. I'm not expecting a milestone, but Jerry in this mode can be a lot of fun, and I'll take Jerry's fun whenever I can. Besides at a mere 40 minutes it won't be a drag either.
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    I'm not expecting a milestone, but Jerry in this mode can be a lot of fun, and I'll take Jerry's fun whenever I can. Besides at a mere 40 minutes it won't be a drag either.

ah well, I'm curious to hear the end result smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have LINK on LP, it's okay with a couple of tracks I really enjoy, just not enough to want this new release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Same here. I'll skip this one.