• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Review of Forever Young

Agree with you on the presentation of the expanded, I much prefer the original release. Do we really need these super short tracks?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Review of Forever Young

Agree with you on the presentation of the expanded, I much prefer the original release. Do we really need these super short tracks?

apparently, some people do
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2011
    SAND PEBBLES, THE (2CD) - Jerry Goldsmith

Label: Intrada MAF 7116
    Date: 1966
    Tracks: 50
    Time = 109:28

Finally! Complete 2-CD presentation of all-time classic Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack from legendary Robert Wise film with Steve McQueen (in his only Oscar-nominated performance), Richard Attenborough, Candice Bergen. Newly re-mixed, re-mastered from original multi-track stereo elements vaulted at 20th Century Fox, 2-CD set features everything in stereo (including stereo CD premiere of "Repel Boarders") plus several previously unreleased cues, numerous never-before-heard alternates as well as Lionel Newman-recorded source music heard in important brothel scenes where Maily (Marayat Andriane) is introduced. Score itself has truly interesting architecture: Goldsmith creates not one but two distinct main themes, yet draws each from the same first four notes! Go one direction, get his military theme for titular gunboat, go the other direction, get his famous major-key love theme for Jake (McQueen), Shirley (Bergen). In addition, composer creates haunting minor-key secondary theme for Frenchie (Attenborough), Maily. Highlights are many but getting spotlight is premiere release of brief all-important cue where Jake first sees "San Pablo" on docks at night. It is here Goldsmith introduces his four widely-spaced notes on French horn, launching military theme that anchors score. Another highlight is premiere release of aggressive, action-oriented alternate for "Commence Firing". Sequence was re-scored, toned down for final production. Both versions are presented here. Strong liner notes by Julie Kirgo, background details by co-producer Michael Matessino, overall supervision by Nick Redman plus both original artwork campaign, 1966 album cover art round out exciting package. Lionel Newman conducts. A genuine film score classic!

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7333/.f
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Happy with my Varese pressing (which has become far less valuable all of a sudden. dizzy I hate having to constantly update my database!), which contains MORE than enough of this score, which is interesting, but not one I revisit a lot.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Same here, Martijn. I am quite happy with what I have already.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Same here!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I'm getting sick of these complete editions that already received an expanded edition of a score that was already released long ago.

Good for the people who don't have it, but I want releases of scores that haven't been released. And if it's not Goldsmith anymore, then someone else. Folk? Zimmer? Mancina? Debney? Davis? D Newman?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'm getting sick of these complete editions that already received an expanded edition of a score that was already released long ago.

Good for the people who don't have it, but I want releases of scores that haven't been released. And if it's not Goldsmith anymore, then someone else. Folk? Zimmer? Mancina? Debney? Davis? D Newman?

Amen, brother!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2011
    Thanks to Zooba at FSM for posting this...

RECORDING THE MEPHISTO WALTZ

Very interesting stuff.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'm getting sick of these complete editions that already received an expanded edition of a score that was already released long ago.

Read back the portion I highlighted in bold. THAT'S the reason for a re-release of a re-release of a re-release. Just imagine if Intrada re-released a score that YOU missed out on 10 years ago and wanted really bad. Would you still be complaining?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

Now if only someone would release John Barry's THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM which has been released before but it was pre-internet and I missed it! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So did I. I don't even have a CDR of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What's a CDR?
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Read back the portion I highlighted in bold. THAT'S the reason for a re-release of a re-release of a re-release. Just imagine if Intrada re-released a score that YOU missed out on 10 years ago and wanted really bad. Would you still be complaining?

-Erik-

I wouldn't be complaining, IF the score wasn't available anymore. Now they release an expanded release of a score that's still available for a perfectly reasonable price. That's my concern.

I just hope that the stuff that's still unreleased gets its prime time moment in the future. Because it feels now that they have released almost everything of Goldsmith, Horner, Williams, and they rather release an expanded or a complete score of an already released score that's still available.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I wouldn't be complaining, IF the score wasn't available anymore. Now they release an expanded release of a score that's still available for a perfectly reasonable price. That's my concern.

You are talking about The Sand Pebbles, right? Varese's edition went out of print years ago and from what I've been reading Intrada's version features the best sonics from the original soundtrack recording ever presented on CD.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I just hope that the stuff that's still unreleased gets its prime time moment in the future. Because it feels now that they have released almost everything of Goldsmith, Horner, Williams, and they rather release an expanded or a complete score of an already released score that's still available.

Come on. Intrada, La La Land, Kritzerland, Varese, etc are releasing piles of brand new editions from previously unreleased scores all the time. I'm sure the previously unreleased scores out weight the re-releases. Don't worry, nothing is taking a back seat to anything. And if they re-release Predator for the third time, don't buy it. Save your dough for something else.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    You are talking about The Sand Pebbles, right? Varese's edition went out of print years ago

True that, it's been long gone. And while it's nowhere near my favourite Goldsmith score, I do know it's one held dear by many Golsmithonians (although I would gather they'd already own it).

I have grave doubts about the "improved sound quality" (although admittedly that's academic as I haven't heard the new issue!), as the source material is what it is, and I think the Varese issue was a truly excellent effort. So there is a niggling little cynical sense that this may be a bit of a ploy to make diehard Goldsmithonians double-dip...

But hey-ho. Whatever makes people happy. smile

I'm just glad with anything that does get released.
    My major regrets concern those composers who so poorly stand a chance these days (like Dobrowolski's Clockwise...a seriously missed opportunity for any label... but I'm getting off topic now).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

You are talking about The Sand Pebbles, right? Varese's edition went out of print years ago and from what I've been reading Intrada's version features the best sonics from the original soundtrack recording ever presented on CD.

-Erik-

I was actually talking about The Great Train Robbery, The Sand Pebbles is indeed out of print.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012
    Oh! Ok. Well, even Varese edition is filled with problems.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You think? confused
    I never heard any? Like what? (I gather you mean The Sand Pebbles?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    My major regrets concern those composers who so poorly stand a chance these days (like Dobrowolski's Clockwise...a seriously missed opportunity for any label... but I'm getting off topic now).

yeah
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote

"I an angry they released this watermelon and not the watermelon I wanted!"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    You think? confused
    I never heard any? Like what? (I gather you mean The Sand Pebbles?)

Now we are moving to The Great Train Robbery. The Intrada mix is a much more balanced and the percussion is finally alive and upfront where it is suppose to be. Plus, the inclusion of some of the previously unreleased cues really rounds out the listening experience.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    cheesy
    Understood. Got confused. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree with every word of that review. Though I've been familiar with the theme for quite some time, the score (and the film) are a relative new discovery for me. And I loved them both. It's just a shame I didn't see and hear this when I was a kid... I would have LOVED this as a kid.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A good concise and solid review James beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    I would have LOVED this as a kid.

No, you'd be scared shitless as a kid. Believe me. Especially the Gremlin in the Christmas tree bit. When seen during Christmas.
  8. It's certainly no Kilkline
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote
    I would have LOVED this as a kid.

No, you'd be scared shitless as a kid. Believe me. Especially the Gremlin in the Christmas tree bit. When seen during Christmas.

"Billy!"

Nah, that's nothing compared to seeing Ghostbusters II when I was a kid.
    Fuck that was some scary shit.

But I loved it, and I think kids like being scared in films and stories... even if they don't know it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2012
    GHOSTBUSTERS? GREMLINS? Pah....when I was 9, my dad allowed me to stay up for ALIEN on TV. Now THAT was scary -- one of the two massive horror experiences I've had in my life (the other being THE GRUDGE).
    I am extremely serious.