• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2012
    Steven wrote
    I went to what would have been Goldsmith's last concert at the Barbican in 2003 (or 2004?) where he ended up not being able to come due to his cancer and had Dirk Brossé conduct it instead. I was so close to seeing a living legend!

I nearly went to that concert too but got inside information on just how ill JG was so I didn't bother ( which I regret now ) At least you have age on your side as an excuse for not having seen him earlier.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Although I was a Goldsmith fan at the time (but still a relative Goldsmith noob), had I've been as big a fan of Goldsmith as I am today, I think Goldsmith not turning up to that concert would have crippled me! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Not to rub it in but there was only ever one Jerry Goldsmith. I can't remember why you never came to see him wayyyyyy back in 2001 when me, Jim, Marian and a large handful of others from MovieMusic and FSM went to see him at the RAH??

Good question. May have been a schedule thing (I was finishing up a bachelor degree at the time). It may also have been a financial thing (only had pennies for student loan) and the fact that I wasn't so comfortable travelling abroad alone, despite being 23 years old.

Oh well, a missed opportunity. At least I had a similar experience with the Morricone concert in the RAH a couple of years ago.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    I never got to see him. sad

But I've been fortunate to see other greats in recent years, so I'm not too sad for it.

Not to rub it in but there was only ever one Jerry Goldsmith. I can't remember why you never came to see him wayyyyyy back in 2001 when me, Jim, Marian and a large handful of others from MovieMusic and FSM went to see him at the RAH??

I think the only composer I regret not having seen perform live is Elmer Bernstein, no excuses really because I had a number of opportunities.

All the rest of the composers I'd ever have wanted to see Bernard Herrmann, Jerome Moross, etc etc are all dead and there's only a tiny handful of living composers I'd cross the road to see.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I went to what would have been Goldsmith's last concert at the Barbican in 2003 (or 2004?) where he ended up not being able to come due to his cancer and had Dirk Brossé conduct it instead. I was so close to seeing a living legend!

I nearly went to that concert too but got inside information on just how ill JG was so I didn't bother ( which I regret now ) At least you have age on your side as an excuse for not having seen him earlier.

I went to that one and it was very good even though the man himself wasn't there.

I probably saw Goldsmith about five times. Memories I will treasure. Also seen Williams, Bernstein, Morricone and Barry - all of the "big five" who were responsible for getting me so into film music in the first place. (And very, very happy that I got to see what I believe is the only Michael Kamen concert there has ever been.)

Next up - James Horner, please. Doubt it will happen though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    JAMES HORNER is easily my # 1 "must see" closely followed by WOJCIECH KILAR ( also unlikely ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Of course, I'd like to see a Goldenthal or Elfman-only concert -- preferably with the composers in the audience (I doubt they'll conduct themselves), but I think I would have to go to the US for that. Then again, the Goldenthal pieces in Ghent were fabulous (also with the composer present).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm dying to see Brian Kilkline live but apparently he only performs one concert a year with his home town Antarctica Chamber Orchestra.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    I think the only composer I regret not having seen perform live is Elmer Bernstein, no excuses really because I had a number of opportunities.

I did! smile

My first movie music concert ever. Unforgettable.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote

I did! smile

In Spain or did you have to travel Marcel?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm dying to see Brian Kilkline live but apparently he only performs one concert a year with his home town Antarctica Chamber Orchestra.

-Erik-

He does - it's such a shame. I heard that for his 2012 concert he's going to play the entire score to A Captain of Industry: The Douglas Dutton Story, live to picture, complete with the original orchestra of dogs he used for the actual soundtrack recording back in 2007. It will be interesting to see whether Tricksie has reconciled his differences with the dachshunds.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    All depends on what breed Tricksie is?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well - he was born a German shepherd, but we all know what happened next.
  1. Michael Kamen had a concert in Warsaw, but I didn't go, because it was so expensive and because I didn't know the name by then, really!

Elmer Bernstein was in concert in Poland too, but that festival was fucking expensive and died out.

I saw Morricone live once, in fact, on his way to the car he was like 15 meters away from me.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. The most treasured concert I've been on was Joe Hisaishi in Kraków.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote

I did! smile

In Spain or did you have to travel Marcel?

It was in Barcelona. March 2001.

'Mr. Bernstein arrived a few days before for rehearsals. On Friday 23, he cancelled the last rehearsal, saying that he was fully satisfied with the OBC (The National Orchestra of Catalonia and of the City of Barcelona). His consideration was justified: both concerts gained the best acceptance of the public'.

smile
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012 edited
    This just popped up out of the middle of no where a few minutes ago.

Star Trek: First Contact Limited Edition Complete Motion Picture Score
    Composed and Conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
    GNPD 8079

April 2nd 2012 —GNP Crescendo Records, longtime home of new and classic Star Trek soundtracks, releases a long-sought limited-edition collector’s CD of Star Trek: First Contact (1996) featuring the complete score by Jerry Goldsmith (with additional music by Joel Goldsmith), newly remastered by recording engineer Bruce Botnick. Star Trek: First Contact (1996) was the most popular feature film starring the crew of Star Trek: The Next Generation. When the Borg travel through time into Earth’s past, Picard and his crew must prevent them from altering a pivotal moment in human history—mankind’s “first contact” with an alien race (the peaceful Vulcans).
    First Contact marked the much-anticipated return of beloved composer Jerry Goldsmith to the franchise. Goldsmith’s march from Star Trek: The Motion Picture (reused as the main title theme for The Next Generation) is instantly identifiable, and Goldsmith’s extraordinary gift for melody, thrilling orchestration and musical storytelling has made him the signature composer for Gene Roddenberry’s vision.

For First Contact, schedule constraints led Goldsmith to recruit another composer to write additional music—his son Joel. The resulting score by both men combines exciting themes from Goldsmith’s previous efforts with vital new material, including a “first contact” theme (nobly sounded by French horn) and an ominous motive for the Borg.

GNP Crescendo released the original soundtrack album to Star Trek: First Contact in 1996, featuring 45 minutes of score highlights. Since then, fans have clamored for both Goldsmiths’ complete work—particularly the thrilling “Flight of the Phoenix.” This expanded release (nearly 80 minutes) presents exactly that—including three alternate tracks—in sterling sound quality, mastered by Jerry Goldsmith’s longtime recording engineer, Bruce Botnick.

The accompanying 16-page booklet includes informative notes by Jeff Bond and John Takis and is lavishly illustrated with film stills. Star Trek: First Contact—Complete Motion Picture Score (GNPD 8079) is available solely as a physical CD from GNP Crescendo Records.

1. Main Title*/Locutus
    2. How Many Ships
    3. Battle Watch
    4. Red Alert
    5. Temporal Wake
    6. Shields Down
    7. The Phoenix
    8. They’re Here
    9. 39.1 Degrees Celsius
    10. Search for the Borg
    11. Retreat
    12. No Success
    13. Borg Montage
    14. Welcome Aboard
    15. Stimulation
    16. Smorgasborg
    17. Getting Ready
    18. Fully Functional
    19. The Dish
    20. Objection Noted
    21. Not Again
    22. Evacuate
    23. New Orders/All the Time
    24. Flight of the Phoenix
    25. First Contact
    26. End Credits

Bonus Tracks
    27. The Phoenix † [alternate]
    28. Borg Montage [alternate]
    29. Main Title [alternate]

Running time 79:13

$19.98

http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/new/produ … cts_id=227

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012
    My wallet is empty cry
  3. Well, that came out from nowhere. shocked

I don't know if I should pick this up. This is no First Knight, no must-have. I'll have to listen to the expanded boot again.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    First Contact is indeed a great score. Will have to ponder though if it is worth it since I own the old OST release. Maybe. But there are other score higher up on the "to get" list - the expanded First Knight, among other things.
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Time to do the automatic robot voice:

"Have the original. Content with that. Great score. Will not be buying".

smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You know... the original album would have been perfect had they just included the "Flight of the Phoenix" cue.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    You know... the original album would have been perfect had they just included the "Flight of the Phoenix" cue.

-Erik-

yeah
  4. I'm going to hold out on the expanded 'First Contact' release. I think there's not enough of great material left off of the existing album. Yes that includes that Phoenix track. shame

Besides, I think Jerry had a point when he came up with the score albums and why he included this track and excluded that one. Not all expansions make for the best listen after all.

Star Trek V, First Knight, The Edge and Innerspace are a few exceptions. Especially First Knight, which is twice as good now.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Considering it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm going to hold out on the expanded 'First Contact' release. I think there's not enough of great material left off of the existing album. Yes that includes that Phoenix track. shame

Besides, I think Jerry had a point when he came up with the score albums and why he included this track and excluded that one. Not all expansions make for the best listen after all.

Yeah... but was wrong about excluding "Flight of the Phoenix."

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Star Trek V, First Knight, The Edge and Innerspace are a few exceptions. Especially First Knight, which is twice as good now.

Star Trek V? If ever there's a counterargument to "if you don't like the album being too long, just remove some of the tracks yourself" it's that album. Those tracks where Goldsmith removed a bar here, a bar there, stuck a bit of one track with a bit of another one - so much better than the actual, recorded film ones. (However... there's lots of the previously-unreleased material which I do think is very good, so I'm absolutely delighted they did that album!)
  6. I adore Star Trek V, the themes, that whimsical sound Jerry captured, the exciting action music and ethereal melodies. So for me to simply have more of that sound was something I couldn't pass up.

I love it more than First Contact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    I love it more than First Contact.

Oh yes - it's much better. But that main theme in First Contact is an absolute belter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012