• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. ah yes, I'll try to remember that next time shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. A couple of reviews

- Along Came a Spider
    - The Ballad of Cable Hogue
    - Congo
    - Psycho II
  3. RIO CONCHOS (REMASTERED REISSUE)

Label: Intrada MAF 7126
    Date: 1964
    Tracks: 21
    Time = 60:12

Finally! Remastered - and ever so slightly expanded - reissue of our 1989 re-recording of Jerry Goldsmith's RIO CONCHOS, with Jerry conducting the London Symphony Orchestra for the first time. This recording also includes his complete 'Prologue' from THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY, which he sub-titled "The Artist Who Did Not Want To Paint". The latter piece was prepared for our original album as a world premiere and heard right after our recording sessions in a live concert, Jerry's first such concert at that time. RIO CONCHOS is the 1964 western score that actually introduced what became Jerry's signature style of aggressive action music with dynamic brass writing and powerful percussion sequences. For this new 2013 edition, we have included the brief but stunning major key "End Cast" that we recorded but subsequently dropped from the initial release, allowing that album to close in a dramatic minor key. The major key finish here admittedly brings a bravura feel to this thrilling work. An additional extra is the original take we made of "Wall Of Fire", with its fortissimo brass a much more intense and exciting display of activity than the more subdued later take that Jerry preferred and placed on the album. You get both! One final taste treat offers the end cast performance being slated by Bruce Botnick for a take, followed by Jerry speaking humorously to the LSO players, a rarity for the composer during his sessions. In the day, both composer and engineer stated the album was amongst the best sounding they had ever made. It was only the second time Jerry had ever looked backwards to record one of his earlier landmarks, something he had done just once before, happily for Intrada's own ISLANDS IN THE STREAM. RIO CONCHOS now proudly joins our Excalibur Collection of classic film score re-recordings. Jerry Goldsmith conducts the London Symphony Orchestra.
    Total Time: 60:12

THE ARTIST WHO DID NOT WANT TO PAINT (1965)
    'Prologue' From The Agony And The Ecstasy
    01. Rome/Florence/The Crucifix/The Stone Giants/The Agony Of Creation 12:37

RIO CONCHOS (1964)
    02. Rio Conchos Main Title 2:26
    03. Where's The Water 1:55
    04. Bandits Ho 7:00
    05. The River 2:04
    06. River Crossing 4:22
    07. The Aftermath 2:06
    08. Wall Of Fire 2:21
    09. Lonely Indian 3:25
    10. Chief Bloodshirt 2:27
    11. The Corral 2:45
    12. Free Men/The Intruder 6:00
    13. Special Delivery 6:12
    14. End Cast 0:22*

The Extras
    15. Wall Of Fire (Early take with fortissimo brass) 2:19*
    16. End Cast Take 1 (With voices of composer and engineer) 0:58*
    * = World Premiere Release
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2013
    A good score but I don't want another version. For those that don't have it, The Artist Who Did Not Want To Paint is superb.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    A good score but I don't want another version. For those that don't have it, The Artist Who Did Not Want To Paint is superb.

it's amazing, and Rio Conchos has one of the most catchiest themes. punk
  5. Several new reviews

- Coma
    - Fierce Creatures
    - Hour of the Gun
    - Leviathan

Enjoy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2013
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Several new reviews

- Coma
    - Fierce Creatures
    - Hour of the Gun
    - Leviathan

Enjoy

Well done Thomas. beer

I would have pointed out that COMA had no score for the first half of the film. It's a very good score but not one I like to listen to of it's own.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Several new reviews

- Coma
    - Fierce Creatures
    - Hour of the Gun
    - Leviathan

Enjoy

Well done Thomas. beer

I would have pointed out that COMA had no score for the first half of the film. It's a very good score but not one I like to listen to of it's own.

Thanks Tim, I saw the film Coma so long ago, and I thought it was a good film with an alienating effective score. But yeah, on CD it's not pleasant.

Didn't remember anymore that the film had no score in the first part beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2013
    I see from the FSM board that Kritzerland will be releasing a complete and remastered POLTERGEIST II : THE OTHER SIDE
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Never got into that one, so I can't say I'm excited about this one. I'll take the far superior original any day.
  7. Steven wrote
    Never got into that one, so I can't say I'm excited about this one. I'll take the far superior original any day.

So do / am I in all points. I own the Varese de luxe edition of the score and that's sufficiant.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. Some comments from Kritzerland on the new mastering, which is wholy different from passed issues:

What you might get from liner notes that are of the kind that are more to your very personal liking than mine must be balanced by what you will get in completeness and sound. And yes, it's the complete (at long last!) Poltergeist II. We've gone back to the original three-track mixes so we didn't have to deal with the previous CDs various EQs, none of which were to my liking and the last of which is mastered so hot as to defy credulity. The four missing short cues are there. No alternates, but we are including bonus tracks of two cues that appear without choir in the film (they were scored to have the choir and appear that way in the main program - but we have the instrumental-only versions in the bonus section) along with some other odds and ends that are fun. Very excited about this one and yes, it's more than 1000 and less than 2000 - given it's prior release history I wasn't comfortable with 2000, whereas I was with 1500, which I think will move just fine. At 2000 I'd have to read the endless litany of "I'm fine with the Varese" - you know what I mean.

James Nelson and I have spent a LOT of time on the phone talking about this release and its sound - the original mixes are so clean-sounding and detailed with wonderful dynamic range and all that's lost with that extra-hot mastering - plus they added so much washy reverb to the choir (it needed some but boy did they go to extremes) that it actually created a slap-back effect and then also caused the orchestra to have that extra verb washed over it. When I heard the first test track of our new release my ears were extremely happy.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. Well, I don't know the original release so I can't make any comparisons. Yet I do think that this is a bit of marketing exeggeration. The Varese de luxe edition will be a major reason fo people not to buy this new release. Some may already have bought two editions.

And: If he doesn't won't to read the endless litany of "I'm fine with the Varese" he should concider offering another product. This sounds like he was offended in advance.

At the end of the day I just don't care enough about this score to really bother.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I personally feel in-between Steven and the Captain, it's nowhere near as good as the classic original, I won't be buying this new release but I do like the score.

As Volker says, a lot of people are already happy with the Varese issue and I'm one of them.

I do recommend it to those who haven't heard it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I didn't like the first score (except the "Carol Anne Theme"), and I can't even remember the second one, nor the film (there's something about a hotel room in the beginning, isn't it?). Or the third one, for that matter.

But I kinda like the first FILM for what it is -- a weird blend of Hooper and Spielberg with some classic 80's elements.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Surely that must include THIS track Thor? cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    love

I hope Thor doesn't like that track, because I LOVE it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

No, it's OK, by all means -- but if you imply that it's a representative of the 'religious sound' I love so much, I beg to differ. Goldsmith never grasped that particular sound.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    IYO Thunderer.

Your idea of a "religious sound" is, bar a few that coincide*, different to mine, neither of us is right or wrong, we just have some variations on the concept. wink

*Actually there are quite a lot we totally agree upon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Of course. Everyone puts different things into it, and we do seem to overlap on a lot of them (although not all).
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

No, it's OK, by all means -- but if you imply that it's a representative of the 'religious sound' I love so much, I beg to differ. Goldsmith never grasped that particular sound.

Did you, by any chance, ever listen to the Silva recording of QB7?
  11. Thor wrote
    I didn't like the first score (except the "Carol Anne Theme"), and I can't even remember the second one, nor the film (there's something about a hotel room in the beginning, isn't it?). Or the third one, for that matter.

But I kinda like the first FILM for what it is -- a weird blend of Hooper and Spielberg with some classic 80's elements.

Not too much Hooper in that blend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Did you, by any chance, ever listen to the Silva recording of QB7?

I think I've sampled it once, but never owned it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

No, it's OK, by all means ...

You never cease to amaze me. Still, at least I can keep this in my Favourite Goldsmith Tracks. :phew: cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

No, it's OK, by all means ...

You never cease to amaze me. Still, at least I can keep this in my Favourite Goldsmith Tracks. :phew: cheesy

That's nothing. You should hear his views on the Jurassic Park films! shocked

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts … ;archive=0
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...that he likes them? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I like all of them too.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love the first one, quite enjoy the second. And the third one has Sam Neill in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I LOVE the Pterodactyl cage and the scenes in it, such a creepy, mysterious, yet beautiful concept.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A fair point.