• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Goldsmith at that age could do nothing wrong, stunning release as well. Finally, Christmas seems to bring out the best releases (for me at least cool )
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2014
  2. What a beautiful eulogy on the great master! I had to fight back my ... my ... cry

No, really, a very fine review, James!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2014 edited
    YES PLEASE! punk

Happy Birthday maestro Jerry Goldsmith:

THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER

THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Music Composed and Conducted by Jerry Goldsmith

Today we celebrate what would have been Jerry Goldsmith’s 85th birthday. And what a release we have to mark the occasion!! A title like this deserves to be announced alone. One of the greatest and most important scores of Jerry Goldsmith’s early career is 1963’s The List of Adrian Messenger. We couldn’t be more excited about our world premiere release of this landmark score and we suspect there will be many who share our excitement. The List of Adrian Messenger is fun and it’s dark, it’s romantic and it has thrilling action! The score features a fox hunt cue that ranks among the greatest cues of Goldsmith’s career. It was very clear, even in Jerry Goldsmith’s earliest scores, that he was a master. Jerry was already revolutionizing film music by the time he wrote this score. He had already written such film scores and Freud, Lonely Are The Brave and Studs Lonigan. For television he had scored episodes of The Twilight Zone, Thriller and Dr. Kildare. The stage was set for one of the greatest careers in film music history. It wouldn’t take too many more years for Goldsmith to become a true legend. What an important chapter in that story the score from The List of Adrian Messenger represents and finally … it’s available! Enjoy! Let’s all remember and celebrate the great Jerry Goldsmith.

Superstars Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis, Burt Lancaster, Robert Mitchum and Frank Sinatra headline the witty thriller The List of Adrian Messenger directed by Academy Award(r) winner John Huston. A retired officer (Academy Award(r) winner George C. Scott) must uncover the identity of a mass murderer who is killing off the potential heirs to a family fortune. The only clues are the names on the list of murdered heir Adrian Messenger. The tension builds as the final evil unfolds during a suspense-filled fox hunt. Let the chase begin!

CDs expected to begin shipping the week of February 24.

Please note: On Checkout you will be charged the full amount of your order within the first week (not when items are shipped). This will show as "Shipped" in your account on our site. There will be a delay in shipment of this product as noted above. Please allow up to 2-3 weeks before inquiring about shipment of your order. You will receive a separate e-mail when your order ships.

Limited Edition of 3000 copies

Price: $19.98
    Catalog #: VCL 0214 1149

Track List:

1. Prologue / Main Title / Gleneyre (5:09)
    2. Death In Disguise (3:28)
    3, Le Borg Remembers (1:12)
    4. Back In The Ditch (:57)
    5. Cat And Louse (4:07)
    6. It’s A Gasser (1:07)
    7. Lost Love (1:28)
    8. Assault On Slattery (2:02)
    9. The Brush Off (:50)
    10. The Gypsy (1:47)
    11. Beagles And Fox (2:58)
    12. Quail Hunt (1:02)
    13. Baiting The Trap (2:17)
    14. It’s A Drag (3:35)
    15. Broom’s Doom (3:17)
    16. End Cast (3:10)

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/ … ian/Detail
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2014
    smile
    I was just gonna post this as I seemed to remember this was a high priority on some people's wishlists here.
    Didn't remember it was you, Timmer.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, it's long been a grail of mine love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. That's funny. The day before yesterday I listened to The Lost World: Jurassic Park without knowing it was John Williams' birthday. Today I'm listening to Mulan and didn't know until just now that it's Jerry Goldsmith's birthday. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Very happy to see this released. I only had two scores left that were unreleased and I really wanted - this, and Morricone's What Dreams May Come. So my list has now been cut in half.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Very happy to see this released. I only had two scores left that were unreleased and I really wanted - this, and Morricone's What Dreams May Come. So my list has now been cut in half.

More to the point, this is my very last Jerry Goldsmith "grail".

I feel sad about that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have absolutely zero connection to this (it's only been a title associated with Goldsmith for me). But I have to check out the clips now that you're all raving about it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

More to the point, this is my very last Jerry Goldsmith "grail".

I feel sad about that.

I hadn't thought of that. There are still some completely unreleased scores, but I don't know any of them. And there's barely anything (only Mulan springs to mind) where I'd be that bothered about an expansion. So I guess this is pretty much it. Yikes.
  4. Several new reviews

- Breakhart Pass
    - Matinee
    - QB VII
    - Sebastian
  5. QB VII is indeed a wonderful production. However, when it comes to "Kaddish for the Six Million" I prefer the suite recording to the OST one. The choir is more powerful and the church organ is mixed to the front more prominently. (Is there an organ in the OST version at all?) Also the tempi a slower in the concert piece, giving it a more epic proportion.

Very informative review of course!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014
    I really believe that Mulan is a brilliant score... One of Goldsmith's best in my opinion...
    Robinson
  6. Captain Future wrote
    QB VII is indeed a wonderful production. However, when it comes to "Kaddish for the Six Million" I prefer the suite recording to the OST one. The choir is more powerful and the church organ is mixed to the front more prominently. (Is there an organ in the OST version at all?) Also the tempi a slower in the concert piece, giving it a more epic proportion.

Very informative review of course!

Volker

thanks smile
  7. Robinson wrote
    I really believe that Mulan is a brilliant score... One of Goldsmith's best in my opinion...

and one that deserves the complete (or at least expanded) treatment soon wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2014
    A good score but I'm happy with the original release.

THE SUM OF ALL FEARS
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Robinson wrote

and one that deserves the complete (or at least expanded) treatment soon wink

Certainly before The Sum of All Fears, that's for sure.
  8. I can't remember...is this the Goldsmith score that Mark McKenzie did additional music for? And if so, is any of it included on the album?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I can't remember...is this the Goldsmith score that Mark McKenzie did additional music for? And if so, is any of it included on the album?

I think McKenzie wrote additional music for at least half a dozen of Goldsmith's last scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2014
    Psycho 2 from Intrada. Good score, if you can get over the inevitable comparison. Intrigued to hear a longer version.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8 … egory=-113
  9. Southall wrote
    Psycho 2 from Intrada. Good score, if you can get over the inevitable comparison. Intrigued to hear a longer version.

I was two-thirds of the way through the purchasing process when I had a think. I have the original release of this but have never again listened to it after that original listen. And none of the tracks made it to a favourites playlist.

So, I cancelled my "blind purchase" buy. In these days of austerity I have to have some sort of decision-making tree for these CD purchases (it's $30+ including p&p).

Though I may weaken at some point if it's a non-limited release (which I think it is.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think the original album's fine, though it's certainly not a favourite - but I usually enjoy Goldsmith expansions. (And since I was also buying the Rozsa and Broughton albums released at the same time, the extortionate Intrada P&P isn't so much of an issue.)
  10. If funds allowed I think I'd certainly go for an expanded Goldsmith and I know how much the Broughton release is praised - though I have not heard any of the music - and would have gone for this too.

It's certainly wise to group purchases together to minimise the impact of the high p&p costs. But then there's the balance of this and the chance of being landed with extra cost of import/custom tax & additional handling charges from Royal Mail if the cost of the package is too much.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

It's good but it was never a favourite. I went to see Ridley Scott's LEGEND on it's release when it still had Goldsmith's score, it was jarring ( to me ) to hear Psycho 2 used in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I hated hearing Norman Bates' theme inserted in Legend! There were a couple of weird spotting choices by Ridley Scott or Terry Rawlings in there for sure.
  11. Weird spotting choices by Ridley Scott? The devil you say! shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What most people don't realise is that not one single track in BLADERUNNER is original score. Ridley Scott plundered the Vangelis and Aphrodite's Child extensive back catalogues to fill his film with pre-existing music.

This was the reason that an "original" soundtrack release took so long.
  12. Hm. I have read several accounts that do not support that. It is often described how Vangelis composed the music on the fly while watching the raw cut of the film, without any temp track involved. This is his usual way of working and that's why there can't ever be any true remasters.
    What may be is that the music was based on preexisting yet unpublished tracks.
    Any evidence?

smile Volker
  13. Timmer wrote
    What most people don't realise is that not one single track in BLADERUNNER is original score. Ridley Scott plundered the Vangelis and Aphrodite's Child extensive back catalogues to fill his film with pre-existing music.

This was the reason that an "original" soundtrack release took so long.

April Fools Tim?