• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    No, but Mulan is in there, which The Mummy is a better score than. FACT!

UNFACT!

REFACT!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2014 edited
    Hmmmm? Neither is in my top 25 but...

I like MULAN but I also like THE MUMMY........but which one is better?

Where's Harry Hill when you need him?*

an in-joke that those outside the UK are unlikely to get.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Top 10 Goldsmith scores, in my opinion; in no special order:

1. Capricorn One
    2. First Blood
    3. Rudy
    4. The Wind and the Lion
    5. The Planet of the [Damn Dirty] Apes
    6. The Secret of NIMH
    7. Basic Instinct
    8. [spoiler]Monkies always look.[/spoiler]
    9. Star Trek: First Contact
    10. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2014
    ...Damn you Justin! angry wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2014
    I expect many of you have seen this before but for those that haven't...

JERRY GOLDSMITH INTERVIEW

Thanks to an FSM thread for reminding me this existed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thanks for sharing, Timmer. I'm going to set aside some time to watch the whole thing. I could listen to Goldsmith and Williams talk film music for hours and hours.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2014 edited
    Yeah, I saw that way back in 2008 when it was first posted, and I spent another two hours earlier today revisiting it again.

It's a great interview, although it's quite amusing to see a rather grumpy Goldsmith try desperately to remember the details of the past, and how he continually dismisses any attempt of intellectualization with "I just thought of it, and it came out that way"-type responses. Made me chuckle time and again. He was never very good at speaking about his work.

One of my wet dreams is seeing a similar interview being done with Williams, since I kinda obsess over his period in television (an interest I can share with very few others).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You seriously think Williams would say anything other than "I just thought of it"!? There surely isn't a man in history whose absolute dullness in interviews is so completely at odds with his extraordinary talent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think that's a wee bit harsh, though I can understand where you're coming from (personally I prefer Williams to Grumpy Goldsmith).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I really wish both of them had been / would be a bit more open about it. At least Goldsmith tended to bring a few anecdotes out, even if he rarely said much of interest about the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wow, I disagree. Williams is about ten million times more eloquent than Goldsmith and able to actually communicate something worthwhile about his musical approach to things. Not to mention more forward and polite and genereally agreeable.

However, I do dread his inability to remember details about his ancient past. He's been -- deliberately or indeliberately -- avoiding that in the interviews I've read and seen.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    You seriously think Williams would say anything other than "I just thought of it"!? There surely isn't a man in history whose absolute dullness in interviews is so completely at odds with his extraordinary talent.

confused

Fut The Whuck?!?!? For real? Sure, Williams might not jump out of his seat and do the cucaracha dance while talking about a specific score but I love the way he talks about his music and the process of creating it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I must have watched the wrong interviews! I've only ever heard him say "it just came to me" or "the scene was darker so the music had to be darker" etc. Would certainly be interested in seeing something more in depth than that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I must have watched the wrong interviews! I've only ever heard him say "it just came to me" or "the scene was darker so the music had to be darker" etc. Would certainly be interested in seeing something more in depth than that.

I agree. I find Williams dull in interviews. I guess he's just a private person and doesn't like to open up much about his life? If that's the case then fair enough.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Which composers are great value in interviews?
  3. Timmer wrote

Patrick Doyle is fun to talk to. As are Zimmer, Rona, Fenton, Goldenthal (if you're smart enough). Just a few that spring to mind.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  4. I remember a very early interview with Desplat back on Soundtrack.net when Dan Goldwasser was still doing them. He came off to me just like Zimmer, with some one-liners and so on.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorMWippel
    My Top 10 Goldsmith Scores

1. Papillon
    Star Trek - The Motion Picture
    The Final Conflict
    Legend
    Under Fire
    Lonely are the Brave
    Masada
    Wild Rovers
    The Secret of Nimh
    QB VII
  5. Hi there M. !

Legend is still a big black hole for me. That goes as well for the Goldsmith as for the Tangerine Dream score.

Volker

(PS: Why don't you introduce yourself to the community. Just go to the sticky new members thread. smile )
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Zimmer, only.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMWippel
    Captain Future wrote
    Hi there M. !

Legend is still a big black hole for me. That goes as well for the Goldsmith as for the Tangerine Dream score.

Volker

(PS: Why don't you introduce yourself to the community. Just go to the sticky new members thread. smile )

Done wink
    Legend has the best love theme ever!!! At least to me
  6. Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

Zimmer, only.

Unless you are ironic, that's far from the truth smile

Brian Tyler can be a lot of fun unless he has to talk specific score. Goldsmith... he wrote very instinctively he even said that, actually, if he starts thinking, that's very bad.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

Zimmer, only.

uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

Zimmer, only.

Brian Tyler can be a lot of fun unless he has to talk specific score. Goldsmith... he wrote very instinctively he even said that, actually, if he starts thinking, that's very bad.

Zimmer and Tyler then.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

When called on it, Williams can be very specific and interesting instead of the broad, polite strokes. Plenty of examples, but I recall the CD-ROM interviews from the NIXON soundtrack. Or that 1-hour session at USC hosted by Jon Burlingame. This is where he really becomes a "professor", in many ways, and if you like that -- like I do -- it's brilliant. I also have tons of text interviews in the same style.

But as Erik says, if your idea of an interesting interview is tons of comic oneliners and whatnot, then no, he's probably not for you.

Goldenthal is great, in a sort of 'stream-of-consciousness' style. Elfman is always fun and self-deprecating. Same with Zimmer. Goldsmith is useless for the most part, although I did enjoy the nuts-and-bolts reminiscing of that interview above. And I giggle when I see his grumpiness take over. He's like Herrmann that way. More intriguing for their terse tone than what they're actually saying. Horner isn't that good in interpreting his approach either, although he's surprisingly candid in his description of colleagues. He has a kind of charming arrogance and softspoken humility at the same time.

I have to echo what Syncrotones said above, though. Of the composers I've spoken to, Doyle is most "likeable" and humourous.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

Zimmer, only.

Zimmer and Tyler then.

Really? biggrin Both are dull as dishwater.
  7. Tyler especially - seems like a nice guy, sure, but he rarely if ever has anything actually worthwhile to say about his (or anyone else's) music. Zimmer's good for the occasional hilarity of his "revolutionary" claims.
  8. But I think we can all agree that Leonard Rosenman gave the best interviews.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    But I think we can all agree that Leonard Rosenman gave the best interviews.

Well, he was certainly high on himself.
    I am extremely serious.