• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Which composers are great value in interviews?

Zimmer, only.

Unless you are ironic, that's far from the truth smile

Brian Tyler can be a lot of fun unless he has to talk specific score. Goldsmith... he wrote very instinctively he even said that, actually, if he starts thinking, that's very bad.

Zimmer and Tyler then.

Really? biggrin Both are dull as dishwater.

Their interviews? not really; i find them more informative than anyone else.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2014
    As last time, First Knight is being used all over Sky's coverage of the Ryder Cup in this country, being used as the theme for their programmes, little extracts over all the ad break bumpers, all over the highlights reels, etc. And they're using a lifeless re-recording of it (presumably by Silva but it sounds much worse than Prague usually does so I guess it must be from a long time ago, before they became much better). So I think I shall listen to the proper version of it later on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2014 edited
    Yeah, the City of Prague did a suite re-recording of First Knight on their rather good Warriors Of The Silver Screen album released in 1997.

Varese also recorded a short suite on their Hollywood '95 album.

-Erik-
    host and producer of CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2014
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah, the City of Prague did a suite re-recording of First Knight on their rather good Warriors Of The Silver Screen album released in 1997.

Varese also recorded a short suite on their Hollywood '95 album.

-Erik-

I like the way the Silva recording ends with a very calm choir at the end of Never Surrender aka Arthur's Farewell, the only improvement over JG's original IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014
    New Intrada...

YES PLEASE!!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    New Intrada...

YES PLEASE!!!!!

The Varese release from some years back contained both original film scores ( not complete ) and were, IMO, "bitty". This release is the long wanted rerecorded 60's albums that are a far greater and more satisfying listening experience.

I'm guessing that I'm the only one here this album appeals to.
  1. Goldsmith's "Flint"scores never really appealed to me. Even now that I live in Flintshire, 4 miles from Flint itself.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Goldsmith's "Flint"scores never really appealed to me. Even now that I live in Flintshire, 4 miles from Flint itself.

I love that 60's mod style and am well aware it isn't for everyone, all of whom are wrong of course! tongue wink
  2. Not actually Jerry Goldsmith, but found this interview with the composers of Alien Isolation game.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2015
    https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2015/01/18/ … -sketches/

Not exactly a soundtrack but piano sketches for 21 of his popular themes.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2015 edited
    Thank you to Mike H at FSM for making me aware of this.

I wasn't sure where to put this but this is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. ( so I put it in the Recent Viewing, JERRY GOLDSMITH and JOHN WILLIAMS threads )

trumpet player Malcolm McNab on working with Goldsmith, Williams, Herrmann etc...

For those who are impatient go to the 32 minute mark for the film music talk but the whole thing is great, this guy has great stories and is a fine raconteur.

I really like his 'big up' for Bruce Broughton too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2015
    Wasn't sure which thread to put this in. Chose this one.

http://startrek.com/article/the-ultimat … ncert-tour

Star Trek: The Ultimate Voyage, a special musical event designed to bring five decades of Star Trek to concert halls nationwide, will beam down to more than 100 North American cities next year. CineConcerts, CBS Consumer Products and Paramount Pictures are teaming up for The Ultimate Voyage, which will kick off in Florida in January 2016, and travel through the U.S. and Canada until late April 2016. An exclusive pre-tour engagement will be take place at London's Royal Albert Hall on November 1, 2015.Star Trek The Ultimate Voyage Concert

"The Star Trek franchise has for many years been an important and meaningful part of our culture in so many ways," said Justin Freer, CineConcert's producer and founder, as well as The Ultimate Voyage's conductor. "This exciting concert experience featuring the greatest music and visuals spanning five decades will bean extraordinary and memorable event.”Star Trek The Ultimate Voyage Concert

The lavish production will include an impressive live symphony orchestra and international special solo instruments. Fans of all backgrounds and ages will experience the franchise’s groundbreaking and wildly popular musical achievements as footage of the most-iconic moments from Star Trek features and episodes is simultaneously beamed in high definition to a 40-foot-wide big screen. The concert will feature some of the greatest music written for the franchise, including music from The Original Series, The Motion Picture, The Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home, Insurrection, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and much more.

Visit www.StarTrekVoyageLive.com for additional details. And keep an eye on StarTrek.com for further news about Star Trek: The Ultimate Voyage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2015 edited
    I looked too, and was quite ready to thread police you... but this does seem to be the most appropriate thread.
  3. I have a concert thread here somewhere. But let's face it -- more people are going to click on his name
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2015
    New JG from Intrada...

WARLOCK

I have the old Silva regular release of this score and probably played it 3 times in total.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2015
    I am in the same boat as Timmer. JG can't hit a homerun on every score.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  4. I think it's a nice little score, even if it's a rather quirky one. But if you know the movie, you also know it's perfectly fine for it. Not every movie needs the full-mode Jerry, and he seemed to know that himself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015
    Review of the non-rejected (and rather middling) The River Wild

http://www.movie-wave.net/the-river-wild/
  5. I love that first paragraph.

You know, a family member once told me Kevin Bacon was hot. I'm still baffled by that to this day.

Then I remember this actress who told a story (I think on Conan O'Brien's show) years ago of watching this scene in a movie where you see his penis and she would pause it and excitedly look at it. Again, baffling.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9 … egory=-113

New release of "The Ghost and the Darkness" from Intrada, really excited to get my hands on this.
  7. Oh God, where's my tax return!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. "The Trouble With Angels"

THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS
    Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH
    INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 327

Composer Jerry Goldsmith was 36 when he composed the music for the 1966 Columbia film The Trouble with Angels, coming after his score to A Patch of Blue and right before The Blue Max. He had not scored many comedies to that point, but still had come into a voice of his own. He chose to compose music that acknowledged the girls’ cartoonish antics as well as their rock ’n’ roll era, but tied it all together with a versatile theme, containing an emotional sensitivity that matches the film’s sincere heart.

This release mark's the premiere appearance of the stereo soundtrack from the original first-generation LP masters, presenting a striking clarity as heard on Intrada's previous release, The Elmer Bernstein AVA Collection. In addition, Sony Pictures provided the complete mono session elements, allowing Intrada to also present the entire score in mono, which includes several key musical sequences not included on the original LP.

The film was adapted from the 1962 novel Life With Mother Superior, written by New York advertising queen Jane Trahey and based on her own experiences attending a Catholic all-girls school in Chicago. Starring Rosalind Russell as Mother Superior, The Trouble with Angels opens with Mary (Hayley Mills) reluctantly arriving at St. Francis Academy for Girls. On the train she meets fellow classmate Rachel (June Harding), and suggests her first of many “scathingly brilliant ideas." For the next four years, Mary tests the patience of Mother Superior: smoking cigarettes, complaining, putting dish soap in the nuns’ tea, giving tours of the off-limits cloister, and plenty of other miscreant mischief. Gradually, though, Mary’s heart begins to soften.

Intrada Special Collection Vol. 327
    Retail Price: $19.99
    Shipping Now
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9711/.f
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2015 edited
    CD'S START SHIPPING THE WEEK OF OCT. 26th, meaning they may start shipping on Monday Oct. 26th, Tuesday October 27th, Wednesday October 28th, Thursday October 29th or Friday October 30

Chain Reaction: The Deluxe Edition

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Jerry Goldsmith

UPC: VCL10151160
    Release Date: 10/12/15

LIMITED EDITION OF 3,000 COPIES
    CDs will begin shipping the week of October 26

$ 19.98

CHAIN REACTION: The Deluxe Edition
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Music Composed and Conducted by Jerry Goldsmith

Nobody wrote action music like Jerry Goldsmith. His entire career is filled with scores in each era that saw Jerry truly writing and then rewriting the book when it came to action scoring. Of course, he defined and redefined many more genres than action, but it’s his great rhythmic action writing that gets a workout in this 1996 score for 20th Century Fox’s Chain Reaction. For one, the cue Ice Chase is very clearly an “it could only be Jerry” kind of cue. More than doubling the length of the original soundtrack release, we are thrilled to present this greatly expanded Deluxe Edition of Jerry Goldsmith’s Chain Reaction.

Chain Reaction (1996) was directed by Andrew Davis and stars Keanu Reeves, Morgan Freeman, Rachel Weisz, Fred Ward, Kevin Dunn and Brian Cox. Two members of an advanced energy experiment--a clever machinist and ambitious female physicist--become fugitives from government operatives who've framed them for murder and the bombing of their lab as part of a concerted effort to bury their project's promising energy research.

CDs will begin shipping the week of October 26.

Limited Edition of 3000 copies

1. Meet Eddie (4:53)
    2. Open Minds (2:47)
    3. Invaders (1:04)
    4. Too Late (2:28)
    5. Aftermath (1:12)
    6. Questions (1:45)
    7. Can’t Stay (1:44)
    8. Visitors /The Meeting (4:25)
    9. Be Safe (5:52)
    10. A?Song / The Observatory (2:40)
    11. Getting There / C?Systems (4:15)
    12. Ice Chase (5:52)
    13. The Old House (2:50)
    14. Assassins (5:44)
    15. The Museum (4:01)
    16. Sardines And Crackers (1:05)
    17. Lily And Chen / Eddie (1:29)
    18. The Number / Deeper In (2:19)
    19. No Solution (2:48)
    20. My Job / The Deal (1:42)
    21. Well Done (2:02)
    22. System Down (2:28)
    23. On Your Way (1:50)
    24. Inside The?Plant (2:01)
    25. Open Door (Extended) (3:18)
    26. Out Of The Hole (3:35)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2015
    I've always enjoyed this one much more than most people seem to. (But half an hour seems plenty.)
  9. I keep reading that the original release wasn't exactly representative of the entire score, that most of the good stuff was left off. So I'm intrigued what that good stuff is.

There's a good chance I'll be getting this one.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2015 edited
    IN HARM'S WAY
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    I keep reading that the original release wasn't exactly representative of the entire score, that most of the good stuff was left off. So I'm intrigued what that good stuff is.

There's a good chance I'll be getting this one.

what a surprise tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2016
    New release of one of his best western scores (including one of my very favourite western themes):

TAKE A HARD RIDE: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1367
    Music by Jerry Goldsmith
    Limited Edition of 2000 Units
    RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

Produced by Nick Redman
    Mastered by Daniel Hersch at D2 Mastering
    Liner Notes by Julie Kirgo
    Art Direction by Jim Titus

STARTS SHIPPING JAN 26th

La-La Land Records, 20th Century Fox and Fox Music present the remastered original motion picture score to the 1975 Twentieth Century Fox feature western TAKE A HARD RIDE, starring Jim Brown, Lee Van Cleef and Fred Williamson, and directed by Anthony M. Dawson (aka Antonio Margheriti). Long out of print, this dynamic western score from legendary composer Jerry Goldsmith (RIO LOBO, PATTON, THE OMEN, BASIC INSTINCT) returns to CD sounding better than ever, with a track listing featuring the original cue titles. Produced by Nick Redman and mastered by Daniel Hersch from original vault elements, this special release is limited to 2000 units and features all new, exclusive liner notes by writer Julie Kirgo, as well as exciting new art design by Jim Titus. An exhilarating mix of iconic orchestral western motifs and modernist electronica, this is classic Goldsmith that is a must-have for all film music enthusiasts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2016 edited
    Another Goldsmith gift! Good heavens. It too is one of my favourites, and possibly my favourite western theme ever written. (A rerecording would be even better... still, beggars/choosers.)
  11. One of Goldsmith's ever best themes, and I hope now it much improved sound quality. Great re release. Brother, better pick this one up quickly wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh