• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. justin boggan wrote
    Yes, yes, YEEESSS!!! One BABY presetn and acounted for. Don't touch it. Don't even look at it. It's not yours, it's mine. Don't even try you sons of bia'tches. tongue

you know what's amazing? Baby's been here for over a week and I haven't listened to it yet! shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. And if you don't like it, I'll but it off you for a good, opened, used CD price.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. justin boggan wrote
    And if you don't like it, I'll but it off you for a good, opened, used CD price.

no thanks, I'll know I like it. I have the bootleg you know wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008
    justin boggan wrote
    And if you don't like it, I'll but it off you for a good, opened, used CD price.

good luck elsewhere Justin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. UNDER FIRE (FSM 1104)

One of the new FSM CDs, found early from a bug that Craig from ScreenArchives.com assures will be fixed next time. wink

I wonder if Intrada has any bugs...

What's the score like? I am completely unfamiliar with it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's a masterpiece. Of course being a true soundtrack fan you should already know that.
  5. Steven wrote
    It's a masterpiece. Of course being a true soundtrack fan you should already know that.

Any random, true score fan has not heard everything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    justin boggan wrote
    Steven wrote

Any random, true score fan has not heard everything.

You don't say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    What's the score like? I am completely unfamiliar with it.

It is truly magnificent. My Goldsmith top-ten changes often, but this one is always in it. One of his best.
  6. UNDER FIRE is in the top 3 Goldsmith scores of all time. It's position is undinted.

As to whether I get the new release... I'd really be getting it for the liner notes, as I already have the Japanese release.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote

I have to say : Being a true soundtrack fan of what? Hollywood? Indie? European? Asian? etc???

The majority of score fans know little beyond Hollywood scores, and I'm not suggesting that of Justin, far from it, but UNDER FIRE, besides being a Goldsmith score is hardly a film most people have seen.

It's a bit unfair calling out someone as "call yourself a true soundtrack fan" just because they've not heard it.

And Justin, YES it is brilliant! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2008
    Just checked it out on FSM and I'll be giving this a miss!

If this had included the score as heard in the film I'd have snapped it up, the film tracks through much of the film differ a lot from the album with some fantstic material. Obviously there are reasons but it's a real shame a complete original release didn't happen.

Anyone here who hasn't got this?

GO GET!
  7. It is a brilliant score, really enhancing mood and atmosphere. Over there at the TOP THREE, it´s at rank 6/7 currently, which means a lot regarding to the number of votes and the scores nominated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2008 edited
    Ah, I just read the introductory notes over at FSM.
    I was rather surprised at this release, as -as far as I know- the WB release is still very much in circulation (I got it quite recently at quite a normal price) but apparently that particular release is horribly expensive in the States.

Anyway, any Americans here: yes, get it! It's a wonderful score and highly recommended (though I'm only just relaying Timmer's recommendation here, as it was his raving primarily that led me to get it in the first place!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I have to say : Being a true soundtrack fan of what? Hollywood? Indie? European? Asian? etc???

The majority of score fans know little beyond Hollywood scores, and I'm not suggesting that of Justin, far from it, but UNDER FIRE, besides being a Goldsmith score is hardly a film most people have seen.

It's a bit unfair calling out someone as "call yourself a true soundtrack fan" just because they've not heard it.

I was being sarcastic to make that very point. It was Justin who brought it up in the first place, and I completely agree with everything you said. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I was being sarcastic to make that very point. It was Justin who brought it up in the first place, and I completely agree with everything you said. wink

smile I wrote this before seeing comments made at another thread, easy mistake.
  8. I've had a Goldsmith day, bits of The Edge, First Blood, Rambo First Blood Part II, Rambo III, Hoosiers, Rudy, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Supergirl, The Burbs, and Under Fire.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008 edited
    KevinSmith wrote
    I've had a Goldsmith day, bits of The Edge, First Blood, Rambo First Blood Part II, Rambo III, Hoosiers, Rudy, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Supergirl, The Burbs, and Under Fire.

Allow me to show my enthusiasm for this...

YEAH BOI!!!!!!!!!!!!

punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk
    beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008 edited
    KevinSmith wrote
    I've had a Goldsmith day, bits of The Edge, First Blood, Rambo First Blood Part II, Rambo III, Hoosiers, Rudy, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Supergirl, The Burbs, and Under Fire.

Holy crap! That's like the best day anyone in the world has ever had in the history of our known universe. punk punk punk

You could fill a whole year with the stuff he's written.

Steven wrote

YEAH BOI!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only 13 punk smilies??

Only 17 beer smilies??????

Not enough headbanging + not enough booze = lack of enthousiasm !!!!!

tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. I sense sarcasm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008
    I don't. Goldsmith's da bomb.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Holy crap! That's like the best day anyone in the world has ever had in the history of our known universe. punk punk punk

You could fill a whole year with the stuff he's written.

Steven wrote

YEAH BOI!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only 13 punk smilies??

Only 17 beer smilies??????

Not enough headbanging + not enough booze = lack of enthousiasm !!!!!

tongue

A very restrained and humble Steven I thought!? wink cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008
    KevinSmith wrote
    I sense sarcasm.

You kidding me!? I was sincere in every " punk " and " beer " I used! cheesy

And Timmer and Gilles were quite right, I didn't put enough. shame
  10. I meant sarcasm from Dreamy.
  11. KevinSmith wrote
    I meant sarcasm from Dreamy.

who the hell is dreamy?
    If anything DreamTheater wasn't sarcastic at all, he was estatic to find such wealth in a musical afternoon wink
  12. KevinSmith wrote
    I meant sarcasm from Dreamy.

Nothing but godlike love for Goldsmith, sarcasm from me has no place in this thread.
    Yeah I would be emotionally exhausted but so over satisfied if I played all those scores in succession.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008 edited
    Tony Bancroft (co-director of Mulan) interview @ Animated Views
    http://animated-views.com/2008/tony-ban … ing-mulan/

AV: As far as the music is concerned, before ending up with Jerry Goldsmith, you first turned to Rachel Portman?

TB: Well, you know, we listened to a lot of different composers. At one time, we really considered Danny Elfman because we were many fans of his work. We listened to Thomas Newman. And then we listened to something from Rachel Portman. I’m not even sure what movie it was to tell you the truth, and found she had a really good emotion side, but that she could also do a good action and add some energy to the score. So, we thought that she would be a great choice. We talked to her about it and accepted. She actually started working on it for a short time. But then she got pregnant and she decided she couldn’t do because she wanted to enjoy being pregnant and not being stressed. And the baby would have come while we would have been on the soundstage, on recording, and that would have been the worst timing possible. So, she stepped down and I think it was a good choice. And we were fortunate that Jerry Goldsmith became available. We had talked about him also, but he didn’t seem like it was gonna be a potential because of his schedule. Then, I think, one of his movies dropped down, something he was working on, so we jumped at it!

AV: How did you work with Jerry Goldsmith?

TB: We would break the film up into sequences. Maybe 15 or 20 different sequences and we would review those with Jerry. We would look the sequence and then we would talk about just the emotions that we wanted to see in the score. We talked about themes for Mulan or for Shan-Yu, the villain, some adventurous theme for the army and that sort of things. We wanted to get that feeling of Good and Evil and definitely play on Mulan’s theme whenever possible. So, we watched the movie together and then we talked about using those themes and versions of those themes. Happy version for a certain sequence or sad version for another. And that’s what he did first. He said: “Well, the first thing I need to do is to create that theme for Mulan.” So, he did that and then he created a villain theme. Those were the first things he sent to us, little sound files, and we talked about those on the phone and he changed them a little bit based on our notes and then he started composing the sequences. That was easy to work with him on that project.

The biggest trouble that we had; when Barry and I, the directors, and Jerry didn’t see eye-to-eye totally was a sequence where Mulan cuts her hair to make the choice to take her father’s place. It’s a key moment and when we storyboarded it, we had always played it with music from another movie. We wanted it to be a musical moment, with a kind of a pop-rock kind of energy to it so that it really moved the sequence along because it had a lot of drums to it. It was still score, it didn’t have vocals, but there was a very driving percussive beat to it. When we showed it to Jerry Goldsmith, he didn’t quite get it, he didn’t quite understand what we were trying to do with it. His first approach at it, musically, when he showed it to us, was like he scored on different beats to it.

We explained that we wanted one kind of musical song that plays over the whole sequence, from the moment that she’s sitting out in the rain and she sees her father and mother, then it starts. And then she walks into the temple and she blows up the candles and she grabs the conscription from her father, she leaves the house, she goes up on the horse up to the grandmother wakes up. It was all one song. But he saw that with several different beats. So, he disagreed, creatively, with our choice on that. So, we had to make him change it and that was difficult because, I mean, he’s Jerry Goldsmith, and I was a first-time director! I remember going to his house with co-director Barry Cook. We would sit in there, in his studio with him playing music for us and here we were these little kids, really, to him! It was kind of comical when I look back at it, now! But I was happy with what he finally came up with for that. I think he finally understood, towards the end of the production, what we were going for on that, and he gave us something great!

For a long time "Short Hair" cue was a kind of mystery for me (it sounds very different from other cues and it's only released on European versions). Except the synth percussion (it sounds cheesy), I think the final version worked well in this scene.

But... Danny Elfman on Mulan? shocked Can't imagine dizzy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008
    Thanks for that, Miya! beer biggrin

Yeah, I always wondered why JG used the synths only in the Short Hair track... so mystery solved now! biggrin

Miya wrote

LOL, yeah! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That Short Hair bit is the worst-scored part of the film, the music jumps out and is totally at odds with everything else. They should have listened to Jerry!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote

Miya wrote

LOL, yeah! biggrin

I can: theremin, fluffy orchestra with bells and woodwinds high, female choirs and vocalists screaming and "oooooeeeeiiiiiiii" singing for 2 hours.....the horror; the horror.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.