• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Theremin? In Mulan? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Miya wrote
    But... Danny Elfman on Mulan? shocked Can't imagine dizzy

LOL, yeah! biggrin

I can: theremin, fluffy orchestra with bells and woodwinds high, female choirs and vocalists screaming and "oooooeeeeiiiiiiii" singing for 2 hours.....the horror; the horror.

rolleyes

Give me a break.

Elfman has proved time and time again that he can adapt his style to fit any film. Are his more dramatic works... Sommersby and Black Beauty full of theremins, female choirs, wild zany Burtonesque music, etc. No. You are better than this, Demetris.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008 edited
    It was actually meant to be taken with a............WAIT! STEVEN! Get out of my head!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    It was actually meant to be taken with a............WAIT! STEVEN! Get out of my head!

Sorry. beer All's good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

I don't wanna, there's sexy Greek women in here.
    I'm stayin. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I don't wanna, there's sexy Greek women in here.
    I'm stayin. slant

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    That Short Hair bit is the worst-scored part of the film, the music jumps out and is totally at odds with everything else. They should have listened to Jerry!

Yeah, it sounds very out of place, as well as the songs, which don't blended in score... I think the directors didn't care about musical continuity rolleyes

But on the other hand, I find the alternate cue on the official album (the latter part of Mulan's Decision) is a bit too triumphant (not sure it's a proper English word to describe it) for that scene. Perhaps the final version played by real instruments could be work better.

(But I haven't seen the movie for a while, so I may change my mind later...)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008
    Miya wrote
    Yeah, it sounds very out of place, as well as the songs, which don't blended in score... I think the directors didn't care about musical continuity rolleyes

Yeah, but still I love the I'll Make A Man Out Of You song! biggrin
  2. Miya wrote

You really think so? Jerry used the themes from the songs a lot of times during the movie, and, most prominently, in that fantastic suite, so the continuity is there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008
    Did he Ralph? I only remember them in the suite (which isn't in the film) and I think one of them was arranged for the very brief opening titles, but otherwise I didn't think he incorporated any of them? I might be remembering wrong, of course.
  3. Ehm, now that you mention it... I didn´t listen to it in recent time, but I thought he used them within the movie. Might be something I heard in the... ehm... complete edition... ehm...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Ehm, now that you mention it... I didn´t listen to it in recent time, but I thought he used them within the movie. Might be something I heard in the... ehm... complete edition... ehm...

iiiiiiiouuuuuuuuuuuu ioiuuuuuuuuuuuuuu iouuuuuuuuuuuuuu.....
    federal bureau of investigation alert......iououuuuuu iouuuuuuuuuuuu
  4. Damn, I meant the "Special Edition DVD", of course... shocked *hides behind the curtain*
  5. I've just tried to order the rejected Timeline but cant find it anywhere. Its gone from the Varese website and out of stock everywhere, is this now out of print?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008 edited
    Yes, it's out of print, but not inobtainable.

EDITED: it's not even out of print.
    Quite readily available, just not by the larger outlets like Amazon or Varese.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. I ordered it a while back on SAE but it was unavailable at the time, I told them they should delete the CD from their website, but as I can see now it's back. But I'm guessing it won't be for long.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    I have a question for Goldsmith fans.

What is the appeal to you of Total Recall?

I have repeatedly tried to give this score a chance and every time, I end up thinking it an incredibly boring score as it lacks the rich melodies that normally give Goldsmith's music it's charm (to me). Please understand that I am not trying to be harsh or critical. I love most of Goldsmith's music, and it simply baffles me why exactly this score of his is held in such regard. If I can figure out what I am supposed to be liking about it, maybe I will grow to like it too!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can see where you're coming from Matt. It's quite a 'harsh' score in some respects, but its appeal to me is its complexity in the action material (and the sometimes eery/epic quality it sometimes delves into, with tracks like 'The Mutant').

Not for everyone though, that's for sure!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Don't like it so much either Matt.
    No worries. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I can't remember much off it, probably heard it a couple of times long time ago but it's interesting to observe how many people insist it's probably the best action score ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I think it's certainly one of the best action scores, at least within the last twenty years. I admit it took me a while to get into it but now I think it is absolutely marvelous. Long live the music of Goldsmith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I can't remember much off it, probably heard it a couple of times long time ago but it's interesting to observe how many people insist it's probably the best action score ever.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the best, but it's certainly an important action score IMO. It's not even one of my favourite actions scores though, there's a ton of other action scores I'd pick over Total Recall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008 edited
    LSH wrote
    I think it's certainly one of the best action scores, at least within the last twenty years. I admit it took me a while to get into it but now I think it is absolutely marvelous. Long live the music of Goldsmith.

I agree with you. It is one of the finest action scores to come out since 1990. Not too many since then have been able to match the excitement and creativity of this fine score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    LSH wrote

I agree with you. It is one of the finest action scores to come out since 1990.

-Erik-

Two examples of my deep frustration in that those who hold such opinions generally don't support them with details.... confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Heh. biggrin

Read my reply, I think it's one of the reasons why so many hold it in such high regard, among other points.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I do understand and can appreciate the reasons you gave, Steven.

I'm looking for some of those "other points" now. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Third paragraph down pretty much sums up why a lot of people appreciate this score as much as they do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    LSH wrote

I agree with you. It is one of the finest action scores to come out since 1990.

-Erik-

Two examples of my deep frustration in that those who hold such opinions generally don't support them with details.... confused

When I listen to the score again I will post a detailed review in the Now Playing thread. In the meantime, what I posted a few minutes ago was all I was able to spare during my lunch time.

-Erik-

PS - Clemmensen is spot on with his review of Total Recall... especially that third paragraph.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I get everything in that paragraph except for the last point: "extraordinary beauty"...that is something i have never heard in Total Recall. But fear not...I shall be listening to this score again...and again...and again...until I like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    I get everything in that paragraph except for the last point: "extraordinary beauty"...that is something i have never heard in Total Recall. But fear not...I shall be listening to this score again...and again...and again...until I like it!

Why? If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Maybe you'll return to it later in your life and enjoy it, maybe not. For now, go and listen to something you like!