• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHumaid
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2016
    Watched Hoosiers last week. Really enjoyed the score. The main theme sustains enough strength to be played over and over and every time we hear it the scene would dramatically sway to a new direction. It’s sort of similar to the way John Williams’ main theme to Born on the Fourth of July was used in the film. Didn’t mind the heavy electronics at all. A great ascending bass line plays under the main theme at times and it has such a cathartic effect. A couple of phrases reappear in Rudy a few years later.

I also got a chance to re-watch Islands in the Stream. What a wonderful film and gorgeous score. The main theme casts a reflective and mature mood from the onset. That piece when the Hammerhead enters the reef is just thrilling. You really feel like a train is coming at you, full speed, and there is nothing you can do to stop it (thanks to the muted trumpets!). It's music as it should be. It starts with a lush and islandish rendition of the main theme but soon throws you into a life or death situation. I can understand why Goldsmith said it’s his favorite score. Well, at least that's what I read on imdb.

The only thing that bugged me was the pillow fight scene. I guess this is a spotting issue. I wish the music just faded away when the scene turned dark. That beat didn’t work for me. My gut tells me it was the director that wanted that part scored. But who the hell am I? :-) It’s such a poignant score.
  1. Over the years Goldsmith changed his favorite score done by himself, probably about a handful of times. I don't remember all the titles off hand.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016 edited
    New Intrada release:

POWDER - EXPANDED

This has always been a gem. And I really love the film too. As someone who has always felt a bit like an outcast, I can definitely relate to the character and his attempts at fitting in. But sadly I don't have his wonderful magical abilities.

I'm certain that 'Everywhere' (Going Away on the new album) is one of the most powerful ending cues ever written for film. Truly emotionally gut-wrenching, Jerry makes me cry during Powder. Every time!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    New Intrada release:

POWDER - EXPANDED

This has always been a gem. And I really love the film too. As someone who has always felt a bit like an outcast, I can definitely relate to the character and his attempts at fitting in. But sadly I don't have his wonderful magical abilities.

I'm certain that 'Everywhere' (Going Away on the new album) is one of the most powerful ending cues ever written for film. Truly emotionally gut-wrenching, Jerry makes me cry during Powder. Every time!

truly a wonderful film, thanks to the music of Jerry that indeed goes for the heart. Again, another great expanded release of Intrada.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    New Intrada release:

POWDER - EXPANDED

Never heard of that film ... confused
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Doesn't surprise me, only socially awkward outcasts know of that film. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    New Intrada release:

POWDER - EXPANDED

Never heard of that film ... confused

Well, don't read the behind the scenes of the making of it... especially the director's questionable history.

But is it a good film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Yeah, and don't go looking at the comments on his IMDB page. You'll learn more than you want to know. sad
  6. But you did have to mention this, didn't you? wink
  7. It's a test, whether your own curious nature will convince you to know more or not. I just provided you with a choice. Whether you decide to follow that road or do a 180 is completely up to you.

Just a word of warning... the truth isn't always so lovely. Sometimes it's better for the soul to stay ignorant.
  8. I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016
    Ahhhhh, Frost. My very favourite poet love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016
    Review of the universally-acclaimed masterpiece Link:

http://www.movie-wave.net/link/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2016
    Southall wrote
    Review of the universally-acclaimed masterpiece Link:

http://www.movie-wave.net/link/

biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2016
    Is anyone else COMPLETELY freaked out that the two most famous songs penned by the Bee Gees for singers other than themselves - Islands in the Stream for Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, and Chain Reaction for Diana Ross - are also the names of films scored by Jerry Goldsmith?

And then I was reading J. Edgar Dyson's biography of Maurice Gibb and he mentioned that there's an unreleased single they wrote for Marillion called The List of Adrian Messenger.
  9. A song by the Gibbs penned for Marillion? Now, that I would have liked to hear!
  10. A cue from the rejected score to "The Public Eye", re-performed with synths by a youtube user:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOiKUIupsrE
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2017
    For those who may not have seen this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ7ICPKcqJc
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2017
    Timmer wrote
    For those who may not have seen this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ7ICPKcqJc

A classic. I think I saw it 10-15 years ago. I wish something similar had been done for Williams.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. I just saw the Walk-of-Fame-Ceremony on YouTube. It's worthwhile. I especially liked the remarks by David Newman.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    I just saw the Walk-of-Fame-Ceremony on YouTube. It's worthwhile. I especially liked the remarks by David Newman.

Volker

Yes, I saw it live yesterday. Best bit was when Carol mentioned that Paul Verhoeven was present (off-camera). I wish Verhoeven had been asked to say something.

I'm a bit cynical when it comes to these stars on Hollywood Walk of Fame, and yesterday's ceremony sometimes smacked of that superficial, 'glitzy' Hollywood ambiance that is very far removed from my local frame of reference. And -- correct me if I'm wrong -- these stars only come about after lengthy campaigns and backhanded, financial support?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm with you on that Thor. I'd also like to know more about how these are funded?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Timmer wrote
    I'm with you on that Thor. I'd also like to know more about how these are funded?

Here's an article from a few years back.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/07/16/how … k-of-fame/

$30,000 raised is one of the things that helps it seems.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    This has always come off as fishy to me. There is no relation between the 'greatness' of a film person and their 'eligibilty' on the Walk of Fame. When I was there 5 years ago, I was struck by how many obscure people there were, or that barely had anything to do with show biz. But that obviously had the people and money to make it happen.

John Williams is not there, for example. Either because he or his apparatus has expressed no interest, or because of the system behind it.

I'm all for Goldsmith getting wide exposure and recognition, but I have an issue with this 'star' system. I've said the same thing over on the far more Hollywood- and industry-friendly FSM, and I'm waiting for the first 'partypooper' comments to seep in (the first one is actually already in).
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Well, the Chamber of Commerce seems to be behind it, and, as they say, it's a tourist attraction. Just like those hand prints in front of the Chinese Theatre it's essentially a private affair, not a public award. So I guess there is not much point in discussing the fairness of it all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2017
    OK. But the 'shallowness', then.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Seems Intrada is ONCE AGAIN releasing Poltergeist II, now in a 3 CD format

Intrada

Is this all really necessary? I suppose it's because it was once again out of print, and I suppose there will always be people who want to get it now, but why release something AGAIN which already saw the light of day 4 years ago (Kritzerland 2 CD Release), and before that 14 years ago (Varèse Sarabande Deluxe Edition)?

I want something unreleased for a change angry

Besides, I don't think it's that a good a score to begin with. Effective and completely different but nothing special.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2017
    Agreed. But it's how this mad soundtrack world spins these days. I just block it out and pretend it's not happening.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. It is a good score but mainly because it has gotten such an incredible mix from the analogue source tapes. Thanks Kritzerland. It sounds amazing and it's much more relying on mood than with the first Poltergeist. Still It's a masterpiece compared to some of the crap you want to invest time in bro, and I don't want to. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2017
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Seems Intrada is ONCE AGAIN releasing Poltergeist II, now in a 3 CD format

Intrada

Is this all really necessary?

YES! Awesome news!

I'd say it is, since this is the kind of sore I've been meaning to buy... just after it got out of print. When it was *in* print I told myself I didn't like Goldsmith's electronics, preferred the original score, wouldn't like its sequel, and then I was reminded of my love of Damien: Omen 2, electronics and all, got excited about Poltergeist II and... out of print. Never heard it yet.