• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. BobdH wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Seems Intrada is ONCE AGAIN releasing Poltergeist II, now in a 3 CD format

Intrada

Is this all really necessary?

YES! Awesome news!

I'd say it is, since this is the kind of sore I've been meaning to buy... just after it got out of print. When it was *in* print I told myself I didn't like Goldsmith's electronics, preferred the original score, wouldn't like its sequel, and then I was reminded of my love of Damien: Omen 2, electronics and all, got excited about Poltergeist II and... out of print. Never heard it yet.

I know, there will always be people who haven't had the chance to get it, and now will.
    I know Goldsmith sells, but what sells even more is Goldsmith that people haven't got yet wink (a re recording or one of his few unreleased scores)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. But we see those happen all the time too bro. Re-releasing Poltergeist II may not mean much to you but it does to countless others. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2017 edited
    I do get where you're coming from - whenever LaLaLand Records releases yet another season of Star Trek or X-Files related music I wonder how many discs and variations of the same subject or music you can release - clearly only catering to the completists among the die hard fans, wishing they'd turn their attention to other projects. And yeah, I too would love to see a Lionheart release in the near future, or something like that. But I stopped seeing those releases as something the labels do *instead* of something else, but rather *in addition to*. The one does not exclude the other, and in the meantime they're also working on other hot new releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah. I miss the good old days when there was an album, and we discussed that. Its contents. The music. Perhaps the movie. Period. These days, every new release or or every thread about a given title will at some point succumb to endless discussions about missing music, cravings for expansions etc. In other words, everything AROUND the music itself.

I don't usually wax nostalgic over yesteryear, but here's one case where I do.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    This is not about expansions or missing music, but about releasing out of print or never released titles, which is a topic you engage in or bring up yourself on a regular basis wink.
  3. I believe, for as long as film music has been released on any form of sound carrier, there was a craving for additional cues. Only before the internet it didn't become that obvious.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Stupid internet.

There was actually a time in the late 90s and early 2000s where things weren't as crazy as they are now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2017
    It started getting worse after labels actually started releasing those editions, permitted by changing re-use / orchestra rules.

But let's not bring up that whole complete and expanded discussion again, Thor wink.
  4. I think the RCA Victor Star Wars releases were a game changer. Studios realized, that there is a market for such releases. With that the concept of the soundtrack album became somewhat fluid.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Thor wrote
    Stupid internet.

There was actually a time in the late 90s and early 2000s where things weren't as crazy as they are now.

Hooray for the Internet.

For knowing which scores / composers to avoid by listening before purchasing. Made me lose a lot less money than in the past. On the other hand the music used to be better too.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    It started getting worse after labels actually started releasing those editions, permitted by changing re-use / orchestra rules.

While there were examples of this in the early 90s too (the Arista STAR WARS box, for example), it really took off just as specialty labels took off, ca. 2005 or thereabouts.

But let's not bring up that whole complete and expanded discussion again, Thor wink.

I don't intend to. Just using this opportunity -- a ridiculous release of Goldsmith's POLTERGEIST II -- to reminisce about a time when the whole discussion paradigm was more fruitful.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. A ridiculous release? rolleyes

Not in the slightest. I won't buy it, but I welcome it 100 % for all the people that will.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nothing against POLTERGEIST II or the people who crave it, but the superflousness of this particular reissue irritates me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    What about it makes you say it's "superfluous"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What doesn't? Both a digital and analogue version of the complete score, plus a bunch of 'extras'? For a score that already received a "Deluxe Treatment" years ago?

I know, I know....for some people, this is not superflous. But I don't care. Soundtrack collecting has turned into "Archeology 101".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    To be honest, I think it's nothing but common sense. It's a score which has been out of print since 2013, so to get back in print 4 years later for a young bunch of Goldsmith fans, or those who are discovering him later on, is great. Four years of out of printness is enough time to pass until a rerelease, especially since the last Kritzerland version was limited to just 1500 units for such an in-demand title and it sold out almost immediately. Lots of people missed it.

If you do want to get into the topic of extra content (and apparently you do, even though disc 1 still retains a perfect listening experience, with extra's for those interested handily on a separate disc): when you release a new album to the market you want something that's unique to your edition, and when you've got access to a different sounding version it's easy to press it on an extra disc for not that much extra cost.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Maybe, but I refuse to let 'market common sense' dictate how things SHOULD be. Also, to be honest, I'm not sure how much 'market common sense' there is in this. Are there many Goldsmith fans left who don't either have the original soundtrack album or the Deluxe edition? This seems to be mostly for a very hardcore segment of those fans.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Sure, people should need to dish out for expensive editions on eBay for long out of print and in demand titles in order to enjoy the classic works of their favourite composers, but unfortunately we live in a world in which a label needs to make money for keeping titles available as long as they are in demand (they wouldn't do this if there weren't a demand), so those who were around to buy the original editions can feel special about their collector's item. It's fucked up, I know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    Also, to be honest, I'm not sure how much 'market common sense' there is in this. Are there many Goldsmith fans left who don't either have the original soundtrack album or the Deluxe edition? This seems to be mostly for a very hardcore segment of those fans.

That should've been the original discussion. I don't know, but since Intrada is a commercial company, I'm sure they analysed this before obtaining the rights and spending money about artwork. And judging by the fact that the previous edition sold out immediately after its previous release, 4 years ago, and I'm even seeing enthusiasm about this release on Dutch DVD collector's forums, I'm thinking this will sell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, what they SHOULD do is to rerelease the original in sparkling new sound for those who can't afford the copies already in circulation. Instead of archeological documents like this. But yeah, I know that's more of a 'pipe dream' than any form of pragmatic alternative.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    But the original Poltergeist *is* in print, with license at FSM in a 2CD edition for $24,99, including the original album presentation and separated extra's for those interested. That's not reasonable? Throughout the years, it's also been re-issued many times, also in remastered 1-cd editions the original album from Warner Bros records.

I think you're focussing too much on the extra's. You're paying for the album. The point is keeping them in print. Also, the price of part 2 is only $21,99. Reasonable if you ask me.
  7. I don't understand how you can get so worked up in one of the specialty labels re-releasing an out of print score from one of the greatest composers that ever lived.

Believe it or not but Goldsmithland does not have a city called Thorville.

If it doesn't interest you, just don't click that buy button and all will be well, no ? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    But the original Poltergeist *is* in print, with license at FSM in a 2CD edition for $24,99, including the original album presentation and separated extra's for those interested. That's not reasonable? Throughout the years, it's also been re-issued many times, also in remastered 1-cd editions the original album from Warner Bros records.

If that's the case, all the more reason to label this latest release superflous, wouldn't you agree? However, I was under the assumption that the original POLTERGEIST 2 album was now OOP and hard to find?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    I don't understand how you can get so worked up in one of the specialty labels re-releasing an out of print score from one of the greatest composers that ever lived.

I'm less worked up about that (which has basically been the status quo for more than a decade now), as what it does to the way we talk about soundtracks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    BobdH wrote

If that's the case, all the more reason to label this latest release superflous, wouldn't you agree? However, I was under the assumption that the original POLTERGEIST 2 album was now OOP and hard to find?

Wait, I thought you meant the original *film*, as in the first Poltergeist. No, the "original" album of part 2 was only 29 minutes long due to fee restrictions, the listening experience now present in this new set is a very reasonable 64 minutes, with extra's on separate discs as to not diminish the listening experience, and the 3-disc set is offered for the price of a 1 disc set, $21,99. Nothing superfluous about it, nothing people can't afford, like I said previously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I could respond to some of that, but it would lead us into the C&C discussion again, the very thing I wanted to avoid.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I don't understand how you can get so worked up in one of the specialty labels re-releasing an out of print score from one of the greatest composers that ever lived.

I'm less worked up about that (which has basically been the status quo for more than a decade now), as what it does to the way we talk about soundtracks.

Talking about if an out of print title should be made available again? Because that's the conversation you either added to yourself, or in the case of the extra material, started it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    I could respond to some of that, but it would lead us into the C&C discussion again, the very thing I wanted to avoid.

Then don't bring it up again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I didn't really want to bring up the C&C debate. I wanted to make a point out of a release that I not only considered superflous (pr. Thomas' remark "is this all necessary?"), but also symptomatic of a paradigm in which 'archeological considerations' trump fruitful discussions about musical qualities.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2017 edited
    Thor wrote
    I didn't really want to bring up the C&C debate. I wanted to make a point out of a release that I not only considered superflous (pr. Thomas' remark "is this all necessary?"), but also symptomatic of a paradigm in which 'archeological considerations' trump fruitful discussions about musical qualities.

I'm trying to find the logic in your reasoning, but I'm genuinely surprised you're annoyed about the discussion veering into the old and tiresome C&C debate while Thomas clearly referred to simply re releasing this out of print title so soon (his words) without referring to the contents of the release, while you explained your choice of word of 'superfluous' does refer to it being C&C in your mind, thus getting the discussion in that territory, even though I don't agree with it.

Anyway, I'm sure you have a point that people do tend to talk a lot about the contents of releases nowadays, but only when a new version is released (which makes it to me logical people talk about the form of its release rather than its music, the music itself isn't particularly new and can be discussed in the Now Playing topic once you actually listen to it), but hat I have observed over the years is that you are mainly the one who either brings that up or fuels that conversation, instead of avoiding these discussions and simply talk about the music yourself.

In this case, the discussion could've went into the direction of the quality of the music and on that basis its merits of the rerelease (or not), and I was frankly hoping it would and I'd be getting those kind of responses in arguing against the release (especially since I haven't heard the music myself yet), but instead we're talking the form again.