• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2021
    I consider it a must, yes. But the OST, of course. Haven't played it in years and years, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2021 edited
    Yeah, I’ve given that OST presentation over on Apple Music a scan now and it does sound good, but not all tracks are available. The La-La Land version does have the OST on disc 2, so that’s good. And the full score presentation fits on disc 1, which could be an ideal length for this type of score.

Hmm. I’ve thrown it in my basket along with Always by John Williams. Still in doubt, but I might purchase eventually :p. I missed Lionheart and I’m still bummed about that.
  1. Whatever you do do not listen to Thor and only get the OST of First Knight, it's entirely missing one of the score's primary themes!
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Whatever you do do not listen to Thor and only get the OST of First Knight, it's entirely missing one of the score's primary themes!

Yes, get it. You can always sell it or give it to someone you hate for their birthday if you don't like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2021
    If I could only have one extended soundtrack rather than the OST then it would be First Knight. No other score has benefited so dramatically from the expansion. I say this of course as someone who doesn’t usually consider any form of expansion to be necessary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2021 edited
    I had the expanded boot on CD-R once, way before this new LLL release (which I had completely forgotten existed -- kudos to myself for pushing expanded releases out of mental existence, which is something I strive for). I agree that there were one or two great tracks there that could easily have been added to the existing OST program without it losing its flow, but the rest of it was a chore. So I eventually threw the CD-R in the trash, and purchased the OST, which raised my appreciation of the score considerably.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. First knight is a must have, the original format is already amazing, but the extended one makes it one of his ever best. Few scores add so much (unreleased) brilliance to an already brilliant score.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Whatever you do do not listen to Thor and only get the OST of First Knight, it's entirely missing one of the score's primary themes!

I assume you're talking about Lancelot's heroic theme? ("The Gauntlet / No Kiss" and the amazing "The Cave")
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2021 edited
    Thanks for all of the recommendations! And yes, if I am to buy this score, it would be the LLL-release, especially since the full score presentation is still limited to a single disc (my limit) and such a multi-thematic score does seem to warrant such a release (especially from a composer like Goldsmith).

The only thing that kept me from hitting ‘buy’ has been the shipping costs when I saw those (wow!) and knowing there will nowadays be additional fees sad.
  5. Thor wrote
    kudos to myself for pushing expanded releases out of mental existence, which is something I strive for

God you are melodramatic. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2021 edited
    Not really. Just a great mental exercise that allows me to still be interested in this weird little artform of ours.

Back on-topic, has anyone followed the debacle on FSM about Lukas and the abandoned Goldsmith book? Some wildly holier-than-thou sentiments being brandied about by the membership.

His blog post: https://www.lukaskendall.com/post/the-u … -biography

Then the FSM thread: https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/ … ;archive=0
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Yes, I have been following it. I am out-and-about at the moment but will comment later. For what it's worth!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. It is an interesting read, and it's also interesting to see the different opinions from people. And it's also interesting to see Lukas' use of the story and wonder at his motives.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2021 edited
    I think the whole thing is… weird. He seems to have little disregard for the wishes of the Goldsmith’s, as it’s clear they want to keep the manuscript in a tight circle. And yet he lets someone else (within the industry!) read it, apologizes over it, yet refuses to give back the manuscript, “giggles” over Joel Goldsmith’s anger over it, brings it up 14 years later *again*, and despite Carrie’s anger over this then decides to publish a whole blog-post over it, in effect letting the whole community know of the existence of it and the fact Goldsmith smack-talked about colleagues, mentions the whole thing is unpublishable (dragging down Carrie’s hard and probably very emotional and personal work), and why write this blog to begin with? For personal gain? For traffic to his site? To show people, ‘look at me, I was involved with the Goldsmith’s’?

He continually confesses that he was in the wrong, while at the same time being annoyed by the backlash from the Goldsmith’s. “I helped them for free, and all I got was getting yelled at!”. Yes! Because of your mistakes!

And honestly, I don't care what any of the Goldsmiths think.

I think this quote by Lucas on the boards says it all.
  8. To me it seems that Lukas became involved in some sort of editing job for the manuscript that had been put together that was based upon discussions with Goldsmith. As Bob mentions above, he was asked to keep the contents of the manuscript confidential (but he didn't).

At some point he was asked to give the manuscript back. But he refused the request.

As far as I am concerned there needs to be no further discussion. He was asked to give the manuscript back but didn't. He's in the wrong regardless of the legal status of the decision (I can't believe that anyone would could see him as being in the right by keeping the manuscript.)

Lukas' decision to 'resurrect' this whole episode some years later seems bizarre. That decision just seems like he wants to get people talking about it all again, and increase the exposure of the whole thing. Before this topic was brought up I didn't know anything about it. It seems like he's using the story just to promote his new personal website and to increase traffic to it: he seems to refer to it on social media in order to get people to visit the site.

And the various responses are typical FSM messageboard and reflect responses and opinions from one extreme to the other. I don't get those who say that the manuscript shouldn't be destroyed because that would mean that an important document would be lost. Which suggests that the information contained in the manuscript isn't available elsewhere. But wasn't Lukas originally sent a manuscript based upon some original documentation? So, if Lukas' version was destroyed then there would still be the information. It's just that he wouldn't have it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2021 edited
    Agree completely with your post, Alan. And you’re right, Lukas owns a digital copy but I’m sure Carrie has the same one. So if Lukas deletes his, the Goldsmith’s are still in possession of the digital manuscript. This makes the whole ‘journalist preserving a source’ argument moot, as that call is to be made by the Goldsmith’s, not Lukas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2021 edited
    So apparently Intrada just announced to release Masada again - this time in a 4-disc release WITH the original LP-recording and soundtrack program! Now, since this might be one of the biggest differences between original score recording and soundtrack recording that I know of, with somehow a much grander and sweeping version on the soundtrack recording, I’m quite thrilled with this announcement. And although I already own the 2-disc release, and that recording did grow on me over time, I remember how disappointed I was when I originally heard that release, since I was very much used to hearing Masada’s LP version on YouTube and falling in love with that, which was in sharp contrast to the more dry / thin sounding score one that was released back then. I always missed this alternative version and can’t wait to have this more compact and grander sounding listening experience.