• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2017
    I interviewed Christophe Beck today, but alas, I had the microphone settings reversed. So while you can hear my voice pretty clearly, his voice is buried in the background noise/talk.

I know how to BOOST the volume on his voice in Audacity, but I don't know how to remove the background noise (which is also then boosted).

Can anyone help?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Youtube has a lot of tutorials. I recall that I successfully removed noise in the past with one of these tutorials.

Like for example this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAJ4Sg-nO6A
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2017 edited
    Thanks. Yeah, I tried googling around and watching Youtube tutorials...and then trying it myself, but none of it worked.

My problem is two-fold -- 1) too much background noise/talk and 2) I had the microphone/dictaphone settings turned towards me instead of Beck. Dammit!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    First remove the noise, and then do the boost?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Tried it. When I remove the noise (which doesn't really get removed anyway), the voice gets all digital, scratchy and creaky, like if he's talking on a cell phone from the inner Congo.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Send it my way. I'll see what I can do within Audition.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I played around with the file you sent. Man, that's one noisy room. And yes, it is unfortunate that the mic was facing the wrong way. I've quickly pulled this into iZotope's RX 6 audio editor and quickly applied some of their noise reduction plugins. The results aren't great. I need to spend more time with it to see if I can enhance the voice because right now everything sounds like it's underwater.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thank you. Don't sweat it if it's a "lost cause", Erik. If it fails, I'll probably just publish as is (with boosted voice + background noise). Better than nothing, I guess, and it IS possible to make out what he says most of the time.

Everything went wrong in this one!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    When do you need it by. I'm swamped with work at the moment but I could make a more valiant effort tonight.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    In your own time, Erik. Ideally I'd like to publish it before I do the annual "Ten Best Scores" and "Norwegian Film Music Year" episodes towards the very end of December, but it'll take the time it takes. Meanwhile, I can write a script, pick out the "stretches" that I want to use (with or without noise reduction) and so forth.

I insist that you don't spend too much time on this; or at the very least let me pay a sum for your trouble.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2017
    Sorry Thor. I tried but even with iZotope RX 6 Advanced it still sounds warbly and really wet.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2017
    OK! Thanks for trying, Erik. Really appreciate it. I'll just go for boosted voice + boosted background noise.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2017
    By the way, Erik -- and totally unrelated -- check out the new Gaute Storaas score in the animated category (IFMCA). I think it might be up your alley.
    I am extremely serious.