• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I love playing film music when I prepare a meal and then during dinner too. Usually when I have people over, I inadvertently pick the wrong score, as in, not really suitable for dinner music, haha. cheesy Maybe it's one that I just love, and forget that other people don't appreciate it, or it's something that I know has some lovely soft pieces, but then there are usually more tense or suspenseful tracks mixed in that I enjoy, but distract other people.

Anyway, I'd love to know - what are your favorite scores to play when you have friends over as dinner music?

Thanks all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2018
    Something 'loungey' and 'cocktaily'. A few film music CDs work, but not many. I often play Jan Vardøen's HØST (featuring Nils Petter Molvær). I rarely have friends over to have dinner in my tiny apartment, though. It's rather when we're on cabin trips and such, and prepare somthing then.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2018
    The Beast from Sicario
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2018 edited
    There are a lot of options, and I'm not sure what kind of a dinner party you're talking about, but for a jazzier score, you could play the score from LA LA LAND and program out the songs. That would make fun and happy dinner music. You could make a fun playlist from RATATOUILLE that would be fun and jazzy, but also situationally appropriate. smile

For a more refined dinner playlist you could go with music that's more classical-sounding. Something really pretty and not too obtrusive. Something like Nigel Hess's LADIES IN LAVENDER or Philippe Rombi's UN HOMME ET SON CHIEN, or Marianelli's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE might do nicely. I could probably give you dozens more examples like these. Ilan Eshkeri has written several (THE YOUNG VICTORIA, AUSTENLAND, THE EXCEPTION), and Abel Korzeniowski, too (W.E., A SINGLE MAN, ROMEO AND JULIET).

You could also go with some really serenely beautiful music for dinner. Thomas Newman has written so many gorgeous melodies you could incorporate into something like that.

You could throw a themed dinner party and have some fun with film music to match the mood (a Halloween party scored by Christopher Young).

You could also put together a play list of super famous movie themes and let your guests play "name that tune" all night.

On the non film music side, I also think it's really fun to play some fun songs from specific eras and specific countries that share a certain sound. I love the old crooners from the U.S. (Sinatra, Crosby, etc.). You could put together a great playlist of classic French songs with lots of Piaff, Trenet, etc.
  2. Aidabaida wrote
    The Beast from Sicario

Haha, very funny!
  3. christopher wrote
    You could also go with some really serenely beautiful music for dinner. Thomas Newman has written so many gorgeous melodies you could incorporate into something like that.

Thanks for the great ideas Christopher. One of my favorite Newman go-tos, if I'm having Indian food especially, is The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. I forgot about the Austen-type scores, but will be looking to those the next time I have dinner guests. smile
  4. Thor wrote
    Something 'loungey' and 'cocktaily'. A few film music CDs work, but not many. I often play Jan Vardøen's HØST (featuring Nils Petter Molvær). I rarely have friends over to have dinner in my tiny apartment, though. It's rather when we're on cabin trips and such, and prepare somthing then.

Remember the story Julie Taymor told in Kraków about her and Goldenthal having lunch while listening to... I think "The Tempest" and her commenting that it's probably the first score of his they can actually play when they eat?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2018
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote

Remember the story Julie Taymor told in Kraków about her and Goldenthal having lunch while listening to... I think "The Tempest" and her commenting that it's probably the first score of his they can actually play when they eat?

I can't remember that, but THE TEMPEST is NOT very dinner friendly.

If there's any Goldenthal that would work in a dinner setting, then maybe -- just maybe -- FRIDA or GOLDEN GATE. But even those are a stretch.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Could've been Frida, actually.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I guess much of THE GOOD THIEF could work too, if you're eating North African food.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Maybe I should check online dating agencies for a girl that would enjoy listening to Final Fantasy during dinner. biggrin

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I wouldn't date that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2021
    Here are some recommendations of scores that would work well in a dinner/lounge setting (you might want to program out some tracks, though):

THE VIRGIN SUICIDES (Air)
    TWIN PEAKS (Badalamenti)
    FILMMUSIK (Björn Isfält)
    THE LOVELY BONES (Brian Eno)
    THE DUKE OF BURGUNDY (Cat's Eyes)
    MAD MEN (David Carbonara)
    MENAGE ALL'ITALIANA (Ennio Morricone)
    BILITIS (Francis Lai)
    Various Mancini
    HØST (Jan Vardøen) -- previously mentioned, I see
    EVERYBODY'S GONE TO THE RAPTURE and SO LET US MELT (Jessica Curry)
    PETULIA (John Barry)
    A bunch of early John Williams
    GONE WITH THE WAVE (Lalo Schifrin)
    THE ELECTRIC STATE (Simon Stålenhag)
    BLADE RUNNER (Vangelis)
    SELECTED WORKS (Solomon Grey)
    OCEANIC (Vangelis) -- OK, so not a score
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I have no interest in thinking of meal-preparing music. It just seems bizarre to me that you would expend the energy on this!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2021
    I can see the value in it. If you have a big kitchen, some wine in a glass (or a beer) and some soft cocktail music in the background while you make the food; especially complex or timeconsuming food.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. For complex dishes I need to focus. And need complete silence!

I was always like this as well when studying for exams - no music distractions.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2021
    He, he. Yeah, depends on how comfortable you are with cooking, I suppose. I'm not a terribly good cook, but would perhaps ease some of the frustration with a "cozy context" like a wine glass on the side, some relaxing music etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I love cooking with music on. But studying doesn't work at all for me with music on.
  10. So I don't annoy people while they're eating - I seem to reach for The Holiday or The Help most of the time during dinner. But when it's just me cooking in the kitchen, that's a totally different thing. I usually pick something more action-packed and full of adrenaline.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2021
    I generally don’t find scores suitable for background listening at all, mostly because they just vary in volume and tempo in most cases, or in more intimate scores they can get quite dramatic, which doesn’t always set the right mood. So normally I just put the radio on - also because my musical tastes generally don’t match with those visiting.
  11. BobdH wrote
    I generally don’t find scores suitable for background listening at all, mostly because they just vary in volume and tempo in most cases, or in more intimate scores they can get quite dramatic, which doesn’t always set the right mood

Yes, that's the quandary exactly! I just feel like instrumental is a better choice for me, because I find words more distracting during a conversation. But finding the right film music for that setting is a challenge!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2021
    Yes, I also understand the instrumental over words thing! That’s why I often set the radio very low in volume in the background, and whenever the conversation turns more serious I turn the radio off. Another good option is light jazz - either a ‘jazz radio’ or ‘jazz playlist’ on Apple Music usually suffices.
  12. That's a very good point, light jazz would be a great option. I should try that more often! Of course I haven't had anyone over for dinner in ages because of the pandemic, so I guess I still have time.
  13. So, I need your help with something. My sister asked for some vinyl records for Christmas - she asked for "easy listening records for nice background music - jazz, etc." Her type of music is kind of the 60s/70s - she likes Neil Young, Crosby, Stills & Nash, The Eagles, etc...do you know of any bands/albums that are jazzy from that era or something along those lines? Any artist recommendations would be helpful, thank you! kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2021
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    So, I need your help with something. My sister asked for some vinyl records for Christmas - she asked for "easy listening records for nice background music - jazz, etc." Her type of music is kind of the 60s/70s - she likes Neil Young, Crosby, Stills & Nash, The Eagles, etc...do you know of any bands/albums that are jazzy from that era or something along those lines? Any artist recommendations would be helpful, thank you! kiss

I'll give it a shot, but there really isn't anything jazzy about Young, CS&N and The Eagles. So which trace should I follow?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2021
    I'd'suggest to search for terms such as ''jazz Christmas album' and forget about these names. There are plenty of soothing jazz Christmas vibe releases.

I especially like the customization given the kind of diner. For a larger group, there's usually a lot of noise, so I refrain from intimate piano scores I'd otherwise use in an intimate diner.

The more guest, the more I usually select things from David Holmes (Ocean's trilogy amongst things), or expressive rhythmic cues, isuch as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Sr2Wx-MlM. Very accesible.

Yet, the thing I enjoy the most is compiling diner music based on the cultural (diversity) of guests, let them be an entire group or a single person. I do cheat, because if I have a (yes almost always) female of, say, Armenian origin, I like to play a compilation which combines pieces of score (sometimes based on folk) with actual folk/traditional music. It is especially in these intimate diners that I feel I am permitted to include things with often have deeper meaning for the invited guest, and allows us to not only talk and eat, but also just pause and listen, enjoying a shared, intimate moment by the music at display. Sort of holistic diners.....