• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2018 edited
    I have just seen that JW is coming to London on October 26 for a concert with LSO at the Royal Albert Hall.
    https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets … n-concert/

shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2018
    Just read it on Facebook. This will be a once in a lifetime concert, hopefully I will be able to get tickets smile Had tickets for his Tanglewood concert in 2015, where he sadly had to cancel. Never thought I would get another chance to see him in concert! Fingers crossed smile
  1. Awfully tempting even for me here in Germany. I didn't think Williams would cross the pond ever again, this really might be a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Wish I had money. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    This will be sold out in a heartbeat. They really should do a double show for something like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Oh Lord.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I can't believe this is possibly happening. Hope I'm able to get a ticket.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It seems like everyone and their grandmother have a ticket already.

I also noticed the ticket price would be around £80 (from a Facebook post Dave Norris made).

I seriously doubt I'm going to get a ticket -- except maybe in the worst possible seats, if I'm lucky.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It does seem like a lot of people already have tickets, but the vast majority of them aren't released for sale until Friday. It's a very large venue so hopefully we'll be OK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It has prompted me to reminisce about his last UK appearance, in 1998, when he did one concert of the traditional favourites in Birmingham, repeated it over the following two days in London, then did a completely different programme over the following two days which included far less common stuff (like his tuba concerto). Five days in a row! Those were glorious days for film music concerts in the UK. It's virtually all films-live-with-orchestra these days (which I have literally no interest in and honestly can't see the point of) - I really didn't think Mr Williams would ever come back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nobody did. I didn't even think he would ever return to Europe.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Also in 1998 I saw Jerry Goldsmith and John Barry (and quite possibly Elmer Bernstein). Happy days.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    My friend Jesper secured us tickets today, and frankly I still can't believe it! I didn't expect ever to have the chance to see John Williams in concert. To say that I look forward to this is the understatement of the century!
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  2. Southall wrote
    It's virtually all films-live-with-orchestra these days (which I have literally no interest in and honestly can't see the point of) - I really didn't think Mr Williams would ever come back.

I think the reason they keep doing them is that they're one of the best ways for orchestras to make money these days. That's the case around here anyway. All the live-to-picture concerts sell out. But our symphony is literally giving away seats to their Bernstein/Stravinsky concert in a couple weeks. As long as the live-to-picture concerts keep doing so well I think you can expect to see them for a long time yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yeah. I’ve got no problem with them happening, loads of people evidently love them. They’re just not for me. The whole appeal of film music to me is when it functions on its own, as I’m sure we all believe the best of it does, and that sort of event seems to rather undermine that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm with James. Film concerts are nothing more than glorified cinema-going.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2018
    You miserable grinches!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Definitely going to try and secure a ticket for this on Friday, but not holding out much hope. Would be a great opportunity for a meet-up if a decent number of us make it.
  3. Thor wrote
    I'm with James. Film concerts are nothing more than glorified cinema-going.

Come on, Thor. Don’t you love listening to a complete score in chronological order? I would think these concerts were exactly your kind of thing! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Through some terribly poor prioritisation I missed out on Poledouris.
    This will not happen again.
    I am there.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2018
    Well. I will not be going after all because it sold out. Very disappointed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    No ticket! Went from 2760 to 44 in line and then the "sold out" message appeared. I wonder what the odds are for a second concert? Probably not going to happen. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Crazy stuff!

Through some sheer luck, me and a friend (and his girlfriend) managed to secure three tickets. But when we entered the digital line a few minutes before 9 (10 local time), we were in the 600s. Just a few minutes later, I noticed people were 3000-something in line.

Bloody shame you didn't get tickets, James. As I said elsewhere, there's no WAY all the 5000 who have a ticket now, will be there on the day. So there's hope for cancelled tickets?

Also, I MIGHT sell mine, if I get press accreditation. But you probably need two.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Shame you didn't got a ticket James. Perhaps they'll add an extra concert later?

I got a ticket too, and my girlfriend, brother and Mario. This was tense! I was working in my house and calling and messaging with Mario in between works. dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I was unlucky too. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    I knew how the queue system worked 45 minutes before the tickets went online, and was able to buy 4 tickets as well at 10:00 AM sharp for my three friends and I. I am so happy and I am also sad for the people who cannot go. This whole day is filled with both sad and happy faces...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018 edited
    Kaat, my brother and Mario are joining me for the concert. We arrive on Friday 26th and leave on Sunday. We stay around Paddington, close to Hyde Park and the RAH. Ant was going to get us to Windsor perhaps on Saturday as a day out.

Who else will be there?

Will there be
    - rooftop bar meetings?
    - dinner before the concert?
    - kazoo concertos?
    - accidental meetings with John Williams after the concert?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018
    I'll be there from Thursday to Sunday. I'll be travelling with Eirik Myhr and his girlfriend, but I'm staying by myself (also in the Paddington area, so probably close to you!).

I have nothing planned for Thursday evening, but I have two pre-concert events on Friday, including a dinner with JWFAN. So that day is filled.

On Saturday, I only have a dinner/meeting with two other FSMers (and maybe Eirik) at 5. So that day is fairly open.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh! Busy schedule. How will we meet!? :o
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    We'll find time. Especially since we're "neighbours". Where are you staying in Paddington?
    I am extremely serious.