• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018 edited
    Thor wrote
    We'll find time. Especially since we're "neighbours". Where are you staying in Paddington?

Point A Hotel

Ant is also staying closeby.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018 edited
    Nice. That's just 350 meters and a 5-minute walk away from where I'm staying (Belmont Hotel). What a coincidence!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018
    Haha, cool.

How long are you staying on Sunday? We leave in the afternoon.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018
    Plane leaves at 18:00, but it's Stansted (1 hour 30 minutes from my hotel) and we need to be there about 16:00, so I'll probably leave around 14.

You're welcome to after-concert drinks near RAH (with the JWFAN crowd) on Friday, btw.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2018
    Thor wrote
    Plane leaves at 18:00, but it's Stansted (1 hour 30 minutes from my hotel) and we need to be there about 16:00, so I'll probably leave around 14.

Same leaving time for us.

You're welcome to after-concert drinks near RAH (with the JWFAN crowd) on Friday, btw.

Cool. Hope it ill be easier to find a pub than last time.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Cool. Hope it ill be easier to find a pub than last time.

Last time (Morricone concert?), I think we walked in the wrong direction (to South Kensington, which is too far!). If we had walked back towards the tube, there were a couple of bars open around that area. That's what we did for the Elfman concert, anyway.

But yes -- it's insanely difficult to find good pubs around the RAH, that stay open late. Which is bizarre, when you think of it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Yeah busy days ahead in London. What is the best way to keep in contact over there? Facebook messenger? In case you guys end up in a random bar and I am bored :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2018 edited
    Unfortunately, owing to a last-minute illness, John Williams greatly regrets that he is no longer able to conduct this concert with the London Symphony Orchestra.

John travelled to London but was taken ill and is in hospital, where he is receiving very good care. It is his wish that the performance should go ahead, and his colleague and dear friend Maestro Dirk Brossé has kindly agreed to conduct the LSO for this very special event.

Money well spent cry

But I hope he is just under the weather from the flight.

Frustrating though. Anyone wants a ticket?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2018
    Are you not going to London then, Bregt?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Initially I thought of cancelling the whole thing but that is crazy. So we will still go. There's refund possible, so we'll try to get at least some.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2018 edited
    Good that you're going, Bregt!

If there was a way to cancel my hotel and flights, I probably would have. But there isn't, so I'll go. And I comfort myself in the fact that it will be a legendary get-together of people I've only met through cyberspace; plus an events-filled weekend in London is nice anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Still going as well. It is still the LSO at the RAH
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Vienna concerts completely cancelled sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Damn, might be more serious then!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm speculating it could be issues from the flight and his pacemaker (which he installed a couple of years ago). But I realize it's probably quite useless to speculate at this point. Just wish him well, cross my fingers and hope for the best!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Actually, just read Mike Mattessino's Facebook post on this:

I can tell you that this is a routine illness and that he will be fine. They will simply get him well in a London hospital and then send him home to L.A. as soon as he can travel.

Thank God!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Here's hoping on a speedy recovery. Good to hear that it's 'just' a 'routine illness.'
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2018
    Here's my write-up of the whole trip (which I wrote over on JWFAN):

I need to get all of my thoughts together as a personal reference. You don’t have to read all the following if you don’t want to. Sorry for the longwindedness in advance.

Two very busy weeks now finished. First 4 days at the ISFMF in Pula, Croatia, then one day off and directly to London after that.

On Thursday, it was a rush for time. Landed, took the quickest route to the hotel (a crappy hole in the basement of the Paddington hotel – I felt like Harry Potter living under the stairs), and then directly to the Brian Tyler concert at Royal Festival Hall (got a free ticket from a fellow Norwegian film music fan). A concert as expected – loud superhero stuff galore, and Tyler showing off his rock-like demeanour in all its glory. In the last number he even ran from the drum kit to the piano and back to the podium for conducting. Fun, but not really my cup of tea. I prefer Tyler in STANDING UP mode.

Then there was a Tyler afterparty two floors up. Tyler eventually came, and was constantly surrounded by fans and entourage. Steven Price (GRAVITY) was also there, and Robert Townson (we had hung out in Croatia a few days before). Free bar, which is always dangerous for me. Took the last tube home.

Friday was jampacked with events. Got up, hung over, headed over to Tottenham Court Road for a tea (proper British!) before meeting Jay, Stefan, Mikko at the Forbidden Planet store. Lunch at the NBC building before meeting everyone else in the lobby. Such mayhem with all the familiar faces I’ve either met at festivals and concerts previously, or met for the first time.

Into the Matessino event. Tim Burden is an excellent moderator, allowing the guests room to talk and elaborate (as a moderator myself, I like that approach). Mike seems to be a treasure trove of stories, and I have a feeling we only glimpsed the surface. Fascinating insight into the documents he uncovers while researching new projects. Loved the bit with the guy who had worked on MONSIGNOR and JEDI (name escapes me at the moment….Maurice something?). More easygoing, broke off the ‘drier’ atmosphere somewhat. Great questions by the crowd afterwards, not many “stupid” questions which you often get in events like this that have a less knowledgeable crowd. More comments about this in the “Matessino event” thread. Perhaps 2+ hours was a bit long in one sitting (a short midway break would have been nice), but logistically difficult, I guess.

Then off to the JWFAN dinner, now properly covered in the relevant thread. I came early, more people came eventually. In fact, at some point so many arrived that we far superseded the original order number of 26. Must have been 50 people in total. Two of my Norwegian friends (who arrived 30 minutes late because they had misunderstood the time) had to go to an Indian place next door. Very chaotic, which I kinda expected. But some great chats to be had. I hope your wife got all the payment she needed, Quintus, since there was no way to break up the bill individually! I’m often critical of the ‘discussion atmosphere’ on the forum, but I absolutely LOVE the IRL conversations. Not a bad apple in the bunch, if you ask me.

Then I ran off to the RAH and the concert. I’ll be writing a special concert report about this on my site soon. But probably the best orchestral performance I’ve ever seen live (and I’ve seen a few) – even if Williams himself wasn’t there.

After the concert, we all headed over to the Hotel Gore (I think it was Tim’s suggestion; or his hotel), surprising the bewildered bartenders with this sudden explosion of people. A decent place for mingling, but very crowded – and as Quint says, the drinks were expensive. Almost Norwegian prices. I was tempted to leave, but knew that finding another place that was open at the time would be difficult so I stayed put for a while untill I took a cab home. I think I got to speak to most people, but some for far too short.

On Saturday, I got up, hung over again, and just rummaged through the London streets for hours. First at Baker street (I have no idea why I went there; a touristy area without any real charm), then almost immediately a tube to Covent Garden and subsequently SoHo where I hung out for the rest of the day. Meeting a few Norwegians, then eventually going for dinner with fellow FSMers Tall Guy and DavidinBerkeley. After-dinner drinks at an Italian place nearby (Maintitles ‘boss’ Bregt also showed up with his girlfriend and brother), drank far too much, took a cab back to Paddington for a night cap with Bregt at the Hilton hotel bar – the only place open in the vicinity. Completely sloshed by the end.

Despite the 100th hangover in a row, spent Sunday visiting some record stores (FOPP, Reckless Records), then flying back in the evening with RyanAir from Stansted – absolutely horrible, and will never do again, btw.

All in all, an extremely events-filled (and beer-heavy) long weekend with all of you and others; as well as some great cultural happenings. I hope we can do something similar again, hopefully a little less chaotic and more room for mingling properly. There are so many of you, I didn’t get to speak enough with.

Phew….that was it, I think. Hopefully, I can do an abbreviated and re-arranged post of this at some point. wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2018
    I read it all, I'd like to hear more Thor.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. JL IThS with LSD

... takes coat.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2018
    Here's my concert report (in English):

http://celluloidtunes.no/a-celebration- … rk-brosse/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2018
    For who is interested in another read about this amazing concert. Here is my version:

https://soundtrackworld.com/2018/11/a-c … ms-london/