• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008 edited
    I think most of us know how little space there is in a music shop for soundtracks, and most CDs they do have are just compilations rather than scores, so where are the best places to buy stuff from online?

Personally I'd say www.amazon.com and www.play.com are great for fairly cheap but easy to find scores. You'd have thought eBay would have been a great place to find rare stuff but in my experience I've never really seen much. Amazon traders for the win though, I've picked up a lot of great stuff on there (but of course it has to actually be listed on Amazon in the first place...so no bootlegs or promos. rolleyes )

Where else is good? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008
    www.amazon.com
    www.screenarchives.com
    also
    www.moviemusic.com
    www.intrada.com
    www.colosseum.de
    all guaranteed via personal experience.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    www.cd-wow.com also seems pretty good (but again, only for common stuff). I've got a great site in my favourites back home that sells lots of Japanese releases. I'll post it when I get back!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008 edited
    I also buy regularly at http://soundtrackcorner.de/. Especially for limited FSM or Intrada cds.
  1. I buy mostly from Moviemusic.com and Screen Archives Entertainment. French scores are usually from amazon.fr.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've bought from all the main soundtrack stores and have never had problems with Intrada, Moviemusic.com or Screen Archives.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I´ve bought a lot of asian cd´s / dvd´s from www.yesasia.com (free shipping worlwide!)
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    cdbaby.com for more indie and lesser known stuff.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I bought from yesasia.com too and i am very pleased overall. Same goes for cdbaby.com
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Amazon.com and Moviemusic.com Occasional SAE.
  2. All of the above sites are worth using.

I've also used http://www.intermezzomedia.com/ for some hard-to-find CDs and Italian stuff and Ark Soundtrack Square (http://www.arksquare.net/index_main.html) for some hard-to-find CDs and Asian stuff (though I have tended to not use these recently as I usually get a prompt of out-of-date security certificates (or something like that). Both have given good service (and Ark Soundtrack sometimes translates track titles if you send them a scan of the tracklist).

I'd be interested in anyone's experience with http://www.rosebudbandasonora.com/catal … Path=1_196 as a source for Spanish CDs. At the moment, eBay is my main source for Spanish CDs.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Excellent experiences with
    Play (expensive, though),
    Chris' Soundtrack Corner (ditto, but a LOT of rarities!),
    Backtrack (excellent second hand department!),
    SynSonique (game soundtracks),
    LaLaLand (slightly off-the-beaten-track stuff, and a great selection of cheap and rare goodies, including game soundtracks)
    and of course the band of usual suspects (Screenarchives, Intrada, Amazon and VareseSarabande)

Not so good:
    Footlight Records (sometimes offer things they don't actually carry, which is annoying) and
    MovieBoulevard (carry a LOT of VERY rare material, but is hideously expensive, and have had some unpleasant experiences where some rare CDs were lost in the mail and the shop owner tried to push the culpability on me).

Buysoundtrax gets a generally bad rep all over the soundtrack community, but I've always had the most pleasant experience with them so far. And they carry a LOT of good stuff!
  3. Watch out for FOOTLIGHT. So often I've had half the shipment delivered with a note saying that the rest of the items I ordered weren't actually in stock. I wasn't charged of course, but with limited edition items, by the time you figure out that you haven't actually bought it, they're sold out at other outlets.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. I thought that Footlight was no longer a viable outlet!! I remember that their physical store(s) finished some time ago and they were concentrating on their online store. But, as I say, I thought that their online store went the same way as the physical store soon after!!

But I see that they are still going.

I'd echo peoples' experiences with them. They do have some rare stuff but they do list titles that they do not stock. But I do recall that they do state somewhere on their site that their catalogue is all titles that have been released though they may not have it in stock. Maybe worth calling them before ordering?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Ebay?
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'd be interested in anyone's experience with http://www.rosebudbandasonora.com/catal … Path=1_196 as a source for Spanish CDs. At the moment, eBay is my main source for Spanish CDs.

I've never had a problem with Rosebud ordering either from their online store or on Ebay, where they sometimes offered autographed CDs - I got Alatriste and Oceano from them. Shipping is high to the U.S. and it takes 3-4 weeks but the CDs are mailed in cardboard boxes and really, really taped up so no one messes with them.
  5. zirael wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I've never had a problem with Rosebud ordering either from their online store or on Ebay, where they sometimes offered autographed CDs - I got Alatriste and Oceano from them. Shipping is high to the U.S. and it takes 3-4 weeks but the CDs are mailed in cardboard boxes and really, really taped up so no one messes with them.

Thanks for the information.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2008
    Most of my recent purchases have been from ebay seller rolsonline (from Germany). His auctions always have some interesting stuff... I've made a lot of blind purchases and had very few disappointments.

Rosebud Banda Sonora's online store seems to be expensive. I've bought a number of times from him on ebay (dangeauty). He had reduced prices for regulars. I used to buy just one from his auction and add more from his catalog (and tack it onto shipping costs).
    Like zirael mentions, his packaging is totally tamper-proof. It will probably take you more than 10 minutes to open the packing.

In general Google is my resource for hard-to-find or import cds
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited
    Crikey.

Apparently Movieboulevard (http://movieboulevard.co.uk, link now defunct) in Leeds has gone belly-up. sad
    While I wasn't without some poorer experiences (see above), it's sad to see sucha big specialty store having to have to close their doors after sucha long run.

I remember Movieboulevard from before the internet: living in The Netherlands soundtracks were -at best- a niche market, but the very idea of having specialty stores catering to afficionados was considered pretty freaky. So I scraped by with the regular outlets stocking only the ten or twenty of the latest releases, until -through, of all things, library research- I found Movieboulevard's address and sent out for a catalogue.

What came back changed my world: I never even knew so many scores were actually available. Yes, their prices were steep, even then, but my God...they had EVERYTHING.

In fact Movieboulevard is the first shop I ever frequented (if only through the mail) and they are squarely to thank/blame (wink) for me starting the collection in the way that I did, with regular purchases and a growing interest fed by new discoveries.

Over time of course, as through the internet more affordable options became available, my patronage dropped off to a trickle, but I've always used them as a first stop whenever I was looking for something really rare.

I loved visiting, and perusing their catalogues. I will miss them. It's honestly a bit of my own personal history coming to a close here.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Crikey.

Apparently Movieboulevard (http://movieboulevard.co.uk, link now defunct) in Leeds has gone belly-up. sad
    While I wasn't without some poorer experiences (see above), it's sad to see sucha big specialty store having to have to close their doors after sucha long run.

I remember Movieboulevard from before the internet: living in The Netherlands soundtracks were -at best- a niche market, but the very idea of having specialty stores catering to afficionados was considered pretty freaky. So I scraped by with the regular outlets stocking only the ten or twenty of the latest releases, until -through, of all things, library research- I found Movieboulevard's address and sent out for a catalogue.

What came back changed my world: I never even knew so many scores were actually available. Yes, their prices were steep, even then, but my God...they had EVERYTHING.

In fact Movieboulevard is the first shop I ever frequented (if only through the mail) and they are squarely to thank/blame (wink) for me starting the collection in the way that I did, with regular purchases and a growing interest fed by new discoveries.

Over time of course, as through the internet more affordable options became available, my patronage dropped off to a trickle, but I've always used them as a first stop whenever I was looking for something really rare.

I loved visiting, and perusing their catalogues. I will miss them. It's honestly a bit of my own personal history coming to a close here.

It is very sad indeed! My association with Robert Wood and Richard Jolley ( co-owners of Movie Boulevard ) goes back to 1978 ( cripes but sometimes I make myself seem old dizzy wink ) when I found an address for 'The John Barry Appreciation Society' in the long since defunct 'Films & Filming' magazine and called Robert on the phone where I ended up chewing away two hours of my Mums phone bill, hell, I'd never talked to anyone who had the same interest as me at that time and we remained phone buddies for many, many years after and even met up on three seperate occasions ( twice over weekends involving John Barry's concerts at the Royal Albert Hall ) , both are lovely gentlemen and great company, Robert in particular has a very devilish sense of humour and both were incredible fonts of knowledge concerning film music, new releases and who would be scoring what films all before the advent of the internet.

I'm sorry to say that I'd lost contact over the last five years and I've also heard that Richard has gone through an horrific time, suffering not only a stroke but also the loss of his daughter who was only in her twenties.

Yes, Movie Boulevard was always expensive but when it came to rarities there was no one, not even the London speciality shops that could touch them.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Also, you can ask to be added to the monthly mailing list of Soundtrackers (e-mail them: soundtrackers@adelphia.net). One (sometimes twice) a month they send out a list of new/used/ CDs for purchase (and bootlegs too). And they'll try to find a title if you request it.

Over a decade of doing it, and good service.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2021
    It's my experience that CDs are extremely expensive these days -- which is bizarre, since CDs are so out-of-fashion (back when LPs were out-of-fashion in the 90s, you could get them dirt cheap....not the case with CDs today). Add to that the insane shipping costs, and it's almost impossible. Do you have any recommendations of CD-selling places that have bargains these days?
    I am extremely serious.
  7. My own purchases are almost exclusively digital nowadays. But, when I want to buy limited edition releases from the likes of Intrada, La La Land Records, etc. I have been using Chris' Soundtrack Corner.

It has been a good experience buying from there. But, what is frustrating sometimes is that they don't stock some/most(?) of the titles they have listed on their site. So shipping times are sometimes longer that I'd wish. Especially being used to the instant gratification associated with digital purchases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2021 edited
    I've always thought of Chris' Soundtrack Corner as expensive, which is why I've never used them/it myself.

Incidentally, my CD wish list is currently this, and only this. I won't buy any of them untill I find them at affordable prices (affordable means dirt cheap, including shipping), or I can trade for them:

John Williams - Goodbye Mr. Chips (3CD)
    John Williams - Stanley & Iris/Pete'n'Tillie
    John Williams - Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (2CD)
    John Williams - Live in Vienna (Blu-ray)

Danny Elfman - The End of the Tour
    Danny Elfman - Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Danny Elfman - Goosebumps
    Danny Elfman - Before I Wake
    Danny Elfman - Fifty Shades Darker
    Danny Elfman - Fifty Shades Freed
    Danny Elfman - Justice League
    Danny Elfman - The Grinch
    Danny Elfman - Dolittle (only digitally available?)

Elliot Goldenthal - Othello Symphony
    Elliot Goldenthal - Jabberwocky
    Elliot Goldenthal - Symphony in G Minor
    Elliot Goldenthal - A Midsummer Night's Dream
    Elliot Goldenthal - The Glorias

Alan Parsons - The Secret (already traded for this, waiting for it to arrive in the mail from the US)
    Rammstein - Untitled
    Jean Michel Jarre - Snapshots from EON
    Jean Michel Jarre - Amazonia

I obviously own ALL of these in digital format already, but I need to have them physically too, because I collect their work.
    I am extremely serious.