• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2018
    confused confused I can't believe that the NHL is so stupid as to take away a gold medal from Canada. To me it's like having a AA minor league baseball team play in the World Series. confused
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2018 edited
    sdtom wrote
    confused confused I can't believe that the NHL is so stupid as to take away a gold medal from Canada. To me it's like having a AA minor league baseball team play in the World Series. confused

This isn't just the NHL's problem. The NHL, IIFH, IOC and NHLPA couldn't come to an agreement. On top of that, the NHL doesn't benefit at all from participating in the Olympics. Plus, the majority of NHL fans don't want the NHL to shut down for two weeks in the middle of the season, especially if that means to go to Korea where games are aired here in North America at either 11pm or at stupid o'clock in the morning.

I'd love seeing best on best... but I don't think the Olympics is the place to do it anymore. That's why there is the World Cup of Hockey.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2018
    You know a lot more about this than I do Erik. smile
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote

This isn't just the NHL's problem. The NHL, IOC and NHLPA couldn't come to an agreement. On top of that, the NHL doesn't benefit at all from participating in the Olympics. Plus, the majority of NHL fans don't want the NHL to shut down for two weeks in the middle of the season, especially if that means to go to Korea where games are aired here in North America at either 11pm or at stupid o'clock in the morning.

I'd love seeing best on best... but I don't think the Olympics is the place to do it anymore. That's why there is the World Cup of Hockey.

-Erik-

Yeah, but as far as I understand NHL players will appear in Beijing and in fact there will be NHL games in China quite soon. Why not Korea then? I mean, Pyeongchang is the first time in years when the players weren't allowed to play in the Games, isn't it? (wasn't Nagano the first time? Or was it Lillehammer?)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2018 edited
    China is a HUGE market for the NHL... South Korea, not so much.

The first time the NHLers played in the Olympics was 1998. Up until then, the Olympic hockey tournament was considered an amateur event. But there have been best on best hockey tournaments since 1976 with the Canada Cup (aka The World Cup of Hockey) The Canada Cup played every three to four years. It was renamed the World Cup of Hockey in 1996.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2018
    All about $$$ I'm sorry to say.