• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. VARÈSE SARABANDE RECORDS TO RELEASE THE
    NOSTALGIA – ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK

Featuring Original Score by Composer Laurent Eyquem

(February 23, 2018– Los Angeles, CA) – Varèse Sarabande will release the NOSTALGIA – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack digitally on February 23 and on CD March 23, 2018. The album features original music composed by Laurent Eyquem (MOMENTUM, WINNIE MANDELA).

“[Director] Mark Pellington is one of the most respected Music Video Directors in the world,” said Eyquem. “He has an amazing sense of music and when we met, he already knew what he wanted and did not want. He wanted to have the score based on piano and strings. And he wanted to keep the sound as organic as possible: he wanted to be able to hear the piano's pedal, any click from the bows of the strings, any imperfection that usually we do not keep at the mix. Those imperfections were kept to help the audience to feel as if they are witnessing ''live'' a moment in someone's life, and, to remind us, that life is not perfect.”

A mosaic of stories about love and loss, NOSTALGIA explores our relationships to the objects, artifacts, and memories that shape our lives.

For Eyquem, who himself has had to overcome many personal tragedies, this score was very personal. “When we finished watching the film for the first time, Mark grabbed my arm, looked at me, and asked me quietly to go inside my heart, to go back to those excruciating moments when I lost my younger sister and my Dad, those moments where I had to decide what to keep from them and what to let go.”

He was able to channel these emotions and get to the core of the stories within NOSTALGIA. “My main challenge, cue after cue, was to keep the emotion real, not exaggerated; authentic, organic and simple, in order to help the audience to be a witness through the music,” Eyquem explained. “Avoiding over-scoring, over-feeling was constantly on my mind. When you have raw emotions like those on screen, with a pristine and majestic acting from masters like Ellen Burstyn, Catherine Keener, Jon Hamm, Bruce Keener...the score could easily become very ‘cheesy’ and could destroy the emotions by overplaying them. The challenge was double, because Mark gave me all the freedom to use melodies and not a 'background' atonal score.”

Bleecker Street presents NOSTALGIA now playing in select theaters. Varèse Sarabande will release the NOSTALGIA – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack digitally on February 23 and on CD March 23, 2018.
    # # #
    www.varesesarabande.com

For more information contact KrakowerGroup[at]gmail.com, or @KrakowerGroup on Twitter

ABOUT LAURENT EYQUEM
    Los Angeles-based French composer Laurent Eyquem has beat the odds, overcoming a series of major tragedies – including a near fatal accident that almost cost him his right arm – to become one of the most talked-about talents to arrive on the film music composing scene in recent years.

Winner of the International Film Music Critics Association (IFMCA) Breakthrough Composer of the Year award, Eyquem’s 2013 scores for Copperhead (Varèse Sarabande) and Winnie Mandela (Sony-RCA) garnered multiple nominations from around the world, including three nods from the IFMCA (Breakthrough Composer of the Year; Best Original Score for a Drama Film; Composer of the Year), and the much-coveted Discovery of the Year nomination from the World Soundtrack Academy.

Following his critically acclaimed, multiple-award nominated film-scoring debut for Lea Pool’s Mommy’s at the Hairdresser’s in 2008 (Genie nomination (Canadian Academy Awards), Jutra nomination (Canadian Movie Industry Awards) and the ADISQ nomination (Canadian / Quebec Grammy Awards)), the Bordeaux native has captured the attention and imagination of the international film music community, with his work drawing comparisons between a host of composing greats including George Delerue, Jerry Goldsmith, John Barry and Alexandre Desplat. His various nominations have placed him alongside film- music legends such as John Williams and Ennio Morricone.

In addition to critical recognition, the score for Winnie Mandela also marked a film composing first, when the Mandela family granted Eyquem permission to write for and record with the world-renowned Soweto Gospel Choir in Johannesburg, South Africa. Until Winnie, the choir had only performed on end-credit music (with Peter Gabriel for WALL-E), making Eyquem the first to include their legendary work in an original score. He was also tapped to arrange, orchestrate and co-produce the end-credit song for the film, written by song-writing legend Diane Warren, and performed by Jennifer Hudson.

Laurent’s success as a composer has come about in the face of major personal setbacks, including the death of his younger sister and only sibling in the crash of the Air France Concorde, in July 2000. A short time later, his father – a clarinetist with the Bordeaux orchestra, and Eyquem’s musical mentor – developed an aggressive form of cancer, succumbing to the disease. Just months after his father’s death, Laurent survived a near-fatal 30-foot fall, suffering major injuries that nearly cost him his right arm. A series of operations in Canada and Europe, 2 years of daily physiotherapy and sheer force of will perfectly restored his ability to compose and conduct, beating the odds and surprising his surgeons.

Today, Laurent channels his life experience into eloquent and powerful music for film. His reputation with producers and directors is that of a versatile, prolific and collaborative composer with a solid understanding and respect for the business demands and realties of international film production. As an artist, Eyquem is known for his original, melodic and lyrical style that enhances the emotional weight of the visuals it supports.

Based in Los Angeles with his wife and two beautiful children, Laurent is a French citizen who holds EU and Canadian passports. He is lead orchestrator and conductor on all his projects, and has a top-notch Los Angeles and London-based team in place to deliver world-class results. Laurent conducts and records his projects with soloists, symphonic orchestras and choirs from around the globe.

ABOUT VARÈSE SARABANDE RECORDS
    Founded in 1978, Varèse Sarabande is the most prolific producer of film music in the world, releasing the highest quality soundtracks from the world’s greatest composers. From current box office hits and top television series to the classics of Hollywood’s Golden Age, Varèse Sarabande’s catalog includes albums from practically every composer in every era, covering all of film history; from Bernard Herrmann, Alex North and Jerry Goldsmith to Alexandre Desplat, Michael Giacchino, and Brian Tyler.

Varèse Sarabande releases deluxe and expanded editions of special soundtracks for the film music aficionado. The Varèse Vintage imprint specializes in releasing new and re-issued albums by classic pop, jazz and country artists. Varèse Sarabande Records is distributed by Universal Music Group.

Follow: twitter.com/varesesarabande
    Watch: youtube.com/varesesarabande
    Listen: open.spotify.com/user/varesesarabanderecords
    Like: facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords
    Buy: varesesarabande.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2018
    Beautiful, lyrical score!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2018
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2018
    Refreshing to see us agreeing for once.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2018
    sounds promising given the glut of unlistenable scores lately
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Unlistenable scores such as?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2018
    the horror releases of films I have no desire to see and names which escape me.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2018
    My pocket review (in English):

http://celluloidtunes.no/nostalgia-laurent-eyquem/
    I am extremely serious.