• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I want a Star Wars TV series with REAL people etc....not cartoons rolleyes

Yeah, like the Christmas special thingie back in the early 80's or so! LOL! What a masterpiece! :D

"what a masterpiece"? Surely thou doth sell it short, tis the living embodiment of omnipotent greatness impersonified throughout the quantumverse of a magnitude that is beyond reproach and mere human understanding.

Or, in short.....truly tis shit!

wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2008 edited
    I have news from a very good source that the composer doing the score for THE CLONE WARS is...

KEVIN KINER

shocked

I guess he's best known for WING COMMANDER.

LucasFilm refuses to confirm ("we have made no announcements, so there is nothing I can confirm for you" rolleyes), so I haven't published this on upcomingfilmscores.com as I haven't got a solid confirmation from an official source yet. But I thought this one was too hot not to mention here!

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2008 edited
    moviescore wrote
    I have news from a very good source that the composer doing the score for THE CLONE WARS is...

KEVIN KINER

shocked

What the bloody hell? Seriously? I've heard a few of his scores - Wing Commander which I have no doubt in my mind was ghostwritten by Dodd and his uninspired Stargate SG1 work - so I can't say that I'm happy about this annoucement. I'm shocked that someone like Joel McNeely or James Venable isn't working on this based on there track history with LucasFilm. Now, Kiner might surprise us all but I can't say that this annoucement excites me one bit.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. MADISON wasn't bad. (Though it wasn't my cup of tea.)

There was a time when Joel McNeely and James Venable were the 'cheap solution' to the problem of 'How to do Lucasfilm music without John Williams'. I guess it was inevitable that even they would rise above the Lucasfilm target wage for major craft areas.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    MADISON wasn't bad. (Though it wasn't my cup of tea.)

Another score where I think the composer of the main theme, Chris Young, had more input into the creation of the score than Kiner did. Again, I'm just speculating.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Could well be. The writing was reasonable though. Throw in Williams' themes, and he could sound very interesting... but I agree - pity that McNeely didn't get the gig.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Now, Kiner might surprise us all but I can't say that this annoucement excites me one bit.

-Erik-

Yeah, like Hooper did for Harry Potter rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Could well be. The writing was reasonable though. Throw in Williams' themes, and he could sound very interesting... but I agree - pity that McNeely didn't get the gig.

Ah, Madison was quite standard, nothing to write home about; at all.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I was hoping for McNeely but maybe he doesn't want to do tv.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I was hoping for McNeely but maybe he doesn't want to do tv.

That's a possibility. Probably would say something like "been there, done that."

-Erik-
  3. Or possibly... 'haven't I spent enough of my career trying to sound like John Williams?'
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2008
    Well, the theatrical trailer is online...
    The Wing Commander reference above is quite apt (even when it was just refering to the music): is it me, or does the animation have a rather 1993 quality to it?
    slant

I am quite able to contain my enthusiasm on this one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    Well, the theatrical trailer is online...
    The Wing Commander reference above is quite apt (even when it was just refering to the music): is it me, or does the animation have a rather 1993 quality to it?
    slant

I am quite able to contain my enthusiasm on this one.

1993??
    Blocky characters are a stylistic choice. It says nothing about the quality of the animation, and there is certainly nothing 1993 about that. And I for one am much less able to contain my enthusiasm. cool
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2008 edited
    Stylistic choice?
    It was an interesting choice for animation in the first two Clone Wars TV servies (mainly because it's Tartovsky's household style), but why bring that over into computer animation?
    It's the worst of both worlds: poor animation (as there no longer is any link with the Tartovsky style, it just looks blocky and nothing more) converted to computer graphics, which is a combination that of course recalls the best of Commodore 64 animation...which was lovely twenty years ago. Now...not so much.

I'm much reminded of synthesizers nowadays recreating the sound of drum computers of the eighties...which in turn were created to emulate real drum sounds!
    So now we have the insane situation of high-end, powerful state-of-the-art equipment making Commodore 64 noises rather than actually emulating drum sounds which was what got the whole thing started in the first place!
    These "stylistic choices" just make no sense to me!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I hate George Lucas. I really do.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I hate George Lucas. I really do.

I wonder if he hates himself all the way to the bank? wink

Hate is a strong word but Lucas definately annoys me.....greatly!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    To anyone who knows what goes into making computer-generated animation, there is nothing "insert-primitive-reference-here" about what we've been shown so far. The lighting, and the richness of the large, sweeping shots, are beautiful. This in an idea that creates incredible possibilities for visually exploring the vast world that is Star Wars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anyone interested in what I'm talking about, just have a look at the trailer yourself and make up your own mind.

I honestly don't care if they painstakingly drawn each vector graphic by hand with a platinum mousepad while working by candle light. It looks off, it looks bad, and it puts the light years we've come in computer animation to shame, even if the light happens to hit at the appropriate angle (which really is one of the simplest things to do in computer animation). If they wanted to have kept the quirky, blocky style, they should have kept with the animation style, and not try and transpose it to another animation medium that adds nothing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    even if the light happens to hit at the appropriate angle (which really is one of the simplest things to do in computer animation).

Actually, most of the advances in the quality of computer animation over the years have come from new lighting technologies.

I seriously don't understand the reception of this by some people...I find absolutely nothing "old-looking" about this style. Why not criticize Pixar? What's the difference?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No no, you miss the crux of my criticism.

My beef is that the chosen medium (i.e. computer animation) has no added artistic value over the already known and appreciated cartoon format: it's the same (aside from some jiggery-pokery where lighting and 3D texture is concerned), an this makes for a very poor transition to the big screen. I would have applauded a proper cartoon either in the sense of Tartovsky, something completly new, or a new computer-generated vision.

This is just more of the same without even a new coat. Just some varnish.
    To my mind it does a disservice to both the arts of cartoon animation and computer graphics.

Though I'm happy for you you look forward to it.
    I'm sure I'll catch the film at some time. But definitely not in the cinema.
    Not out of principle, but because I simply can't be bothered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008
    I understand what you're saying.
    I don't even necessarily disagree with it.
    I just think its more fun to look at it in a completely positive light rather than focusing on the negatives...its the same thing I do with the prequel trilogy...sure, it could have been way better in some areas, but I'd rather just enjoy it for what it is. Same thing with scores that people have mixed opinions on...it's more enjoyable for me to just focus on the good aspects and enjoy them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008 edited
    Indeed. I tend to think about movies and stuff exactly the same way. I pick what I liked to decide whether it was worth my money, not what wasn´t there to like. Especially if I actually haven´t seen the movie in question. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2008
    In one way, I agree with Martijn here. The blocky style was appropriate in the 2D version on TV (which, to be fair, I've only seen fragments of), but somehow doesn't translate very well to "3D CGI". In fact, it reminded me a bit of old Lucasarts adventure games from the mid 90's.

On the other hand, I found pretty of excitement here (visual eyecandy and "busy" landscapes). Even though this may be a little too "kiddie" for me, I'll be sure to catch this in some way or other.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Well, after my twelve-year old daughter saw the trailer, she got that special "paleeeeze"- look in her eyes that immediately told me I should better get tickets if I want her to be nice to me when I am old and dumb... and I have no problems with it. I enjoyed the animated series (especially the second "season") a lot, and I find the translation of the style into 3D rather interesting and funny. I am looking forward to seeing it on a big screen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008 edited
    I am really excited to see this film, probably for the sole reason that I'm a big Star Wars nerd. It's not like it will be better than the others, but, hey, it's Star Wars! biggrin I am also interested in the TV series that will soon follow the theatrical release. It will be really nice if Lucas and co. can keep the episodes fresh, nicely animated, and exciting, but, seeing as how The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were for the most part flops, I'm trying not to set my hopes too high...
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008 edited
    For those interested, a couple new trailers for The Clone Wars have been released at StarWars.com, one of which was released within the past few days. Really cool new footage; my main remaining fear is for how the score will turn out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    This just in: the first official info on the Star Wars: The Clone Wars soundtrack/score by Kevin Kiner has been posted at StarWars.com!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008 edited
    TheTelmarine wrote
    For those interested, a couple new trailers for The Clone Wars have been released at StarWars.com, one of which was released within the past few days. Really cool new footage; my main remaining fear is for how the score will turn out.

What's going on with the dates? It's Thursday 10th of June NOT 17th dizzy

Maybe I should have posted this on the Doctor Who thread? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    What's going on with the dates? It's Thursday 10th of June NOT 17th dizzy)

Um, today is Wednesday, JULY 9th (at least for me; not quite sure what world you're in, Timmer dizzy). wink biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    What's going on with the dates? It's Thursday 10th of June NOT 17th dizzy)

Um, today is Wednesday, JULY 9th (at least for me; not quite sure what world you're in, Timmer dizzy). wink biggrin

errrr......ummmmm.......

My bad shame