• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2008 edited
    Just searching for this composer I realised there was no composer thread for him so I've rectified that cool

Do people here have opinions on this fine talented composer?

My Legrand favourites....

ICE STATION ZEBRA

THE 3 MUSKETEERS

PICASSO SUMMER

THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR

LA BYCYCLETTE BLEU

THE GO-BETWEEN

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2008
    I love him. I just bought the spectacular and lavish LE CINEMA DE MICHEL LEGRAND 4CD-box a couple of months ago. Some fantastic songs and instrumentals on that, spanning his entire career. "Windmills of Your Mind" is one of the most beautiful film songs ever written, IMO, and there's a lot to be said about his suave, elegant jazz style in general.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I'm not that familiar with Legrand's works - I only have ICE STATION ZEBRA and FUGA DAL PARADISO. But both of these are, for me, top quality scores.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2008
    Thor wrote
    I love him. I just bought the spectacular and lavish LE CINEMA DE MICHEL LEGRAND 4CD-box a couple of months ago. Some fantastic songs and instrumentals on that, spanning his entire career. "Windmills of Your Mind" is one of the most beautiful film songs ever written, IMO, and there's a lot to be said about his suave, elegant jazz style in general.

I have the same 4 CD set Thor....excellent! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I also have an excellent 2CD sampler called THE MICHEL LEGRAND PROJECT of only instrumental tracks that FSM member soundtrackman made for me. As separate soundtrack CD's, I only have THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR and the rejected THE MAN WHO LOVED CAT DANCING. Need to get more individual soundtracks.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    I don't have much of his stuff, but what I have - and know about - is good. On the CD I have, he even sings!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    djdave wrote
    I don't have much of his stuff, but what I have - and know about - is good. On the CD I have, he even sings!!

No surprise there! He also sings His Eyes, Her Eyes on the Thomas Crown Affair score.

Legrand is also a brilliant jazz pianist who has even played with the legendary Miles Davis cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I also have an excellent 2CD sampler called THE MICHEL LEGRAND PROJECT of only instrumental tracks that FSM member soundtrackman made for me. As separate soundtrack CD's, I only have THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR and the rejected THE MAN WHO LOVED CAT DANCING. Need to get more individual soundtracks.

I seriously recommend FSM's Ice Station Zebra, an excellent and complex score full of melody and something to really get your teeth into......though this might be a bit too complete for you? wink

Speaking of Soundtrackman, did you get a copy of his brilliantly produced 2 CD Mancini compilation? Mark's a good and generous man smile
  2. I have next-to-nothing from Legrand. I really must get ICE STATION ZEBRA one of these days. I liked a suite I heard from THREE MUSKETEERS, and it'd be great to get that score reissued.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I seriously recommend FSM's Ice Station Zebra, an excellent and complex score full of melody and something to really get your teeth into......though this might be a bit too complete for you? wink

Speaking of Soundtrackman, did you get a copy of his brilliantly produced 2 CD Mancini compilation? Mark's a good and generous man smile

Yes, I have! It's in the same "series", if you will, as the Legrand one. A brilliant album that practially has ALL of Mancini's greatest themes on disc 1 and some unusual, symphonic stuff on disc 2.

By the way, I LOVE the ICE STATION ZEBRA score...mostly in the film, but also outside. That "icy" glass music as the sub travels beneath the ice is incredibly moody. I don't have the FSM CD, but I had a crappy-sounding boot once. I gave it away in order to pick up the commercial release, but I never got around to it.

Speaking of Legrand's singing, it's a common thing with him. I don't think "His Eyes Her Eyes" is a particularly good song, nor is Legrand a particularly good singer, but it's certainly interesting. Same with his "moaning" on the rejected MAN WHO LOVED CAT DANCING.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Go Between is outstanding!
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    The Go Between is outstanding!

Indeed! A fantastic variations on a theme for Piano, lovely! cool
  3. http://www.ascap.com/eventsawards/award … ncini.html

A fun read.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2008
    Thanks Justin, that was very interesting.

I'm sure Legrand must have many great stories.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008 edited
    I remember Thor mentioning something about a huge discount on the Legrand box set by Universal Jazz/Emarcy label sometime back where the 4cd set was available for $20 (normally sells for over $60). I regretted missing out on it but looks like it still might be available.
    I saw the same set on BestBuy.com and got it for $19.99 excluding shipping. It arrived today!

BestBuy now shows the item as being backordered but I'm not sure if that means that they will get more copies of it later. Those interested might want to keep a watch on it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008
    BhelPuri wrote
    I remember Thor mentioning something about a huge discount on the Legrand box set by Universal Jazz/Emarcy label sometime back where the 4cd set was available for $20 (normally sells for over $60). I regretted missing out on it but looks like it still might be available.
    I saw the same set on BestBuy.com and got it for $19.99 excluding shipping. It arrived today!

BestBuy now shows the item as being backordered but I'm not sure if that means that they will get more copies of it later. Those interested might want to keep a watch on it.

It's a great set, I just wish I'd waited awhile to pick it up cheaper slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008 edited
    Looks like BestBuy has the Legrand box set back in stock.
    Go to www.bestbuy.com
    Search for "cinema michel legrand"
    You will find the box set for $19.99 and shipping within US costs less than $3. shocked shocked
    4 cds for less than $23 is a big steal! Grab it before it is gone.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008
    BhelPuri wrote
    Looks like BestBuy has the Legrand box set back in stock.
    Go to www.bestbuy.com
    Search for "cinema michel legrand"
    You will find the box set for $19.99 and shipping within US costs less than $3. shocked shocked
    4 cds for less than $23 is a big steal! Grab it before it is gone.

It's a brilliant set, real value for money at that price.
  4. For some reason something makes me a little hesitant to mention Legrand's music to Yentl - maybe it's the association with The Streisand. But I remember buying the song LP when it first came out and really enjoying the songs (I was young-ish.)

I came across a nice Yentl medley with John Williams conducting Michel Legrand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7pv-bHTVmU

Nice!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009
    Is Legrand's 3 Musketeers getting a new release? It seldom shows up on ebay and I've been looking for a copy for quite some time. But there have been a number of listings recently and I wonder if it's related to an upcoming release.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2009
    BhelPuri wrote
    Is Legrand's 3 Musketeers getting a new release? It seldom shows up on ebay and I've been looking for a copy for quite some time. But there have been a number of listings recently and I wonder if it's related to an upcoming release.

That would be fantastic! I have the LP and a short suite from the Legrand box. A new CD would be brilliant.
  5. BhelPuri wrote

The semi-shonky Harkit is releasing it, and I think Kritzerland is also releasing it.

I must get that 4CD box set.

Legrand's rejected Robin and Marian is getting a release soon in the 'Ecoutez Cinema' series from Universal France.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Is Legrand's 3 Musketeers getting a new release?

The semi-shonky Harkit is releasing it, and I think Kritzerland is also releasing it.

I must get that 4CD box set.

Legrand's rejected Robin and Marian is getting a release soon in the 'Ecoutez Cinema' series from Universal France.

Was the Kritzerland possibility posted anywhere?

Dude! I've posted a bunch of times on this thread when the Legrand box set was available for $19.99 Keep a watch on www.bestbuy.com and you might find it for the same price again.

Ah, cool! The Robin & Marian release will include tracks from other Legrand-Lester collaborations including 3 Musketeers according to this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2009 edited
    Universal France put out fantastic releases.

And Michael, YES, you really MUST get the Legrand 4 CD box cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011
    Just got done listening to the new and I mean new release of The Music of Michel Legrand. No recycled material everything is fresh with new arrangements, orchestrations, and ideas. As soon as I finish my Jamestown Concerto/Perry review I'll do this one. It has my highest recommendation.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011
    http://silvascreenmusic.greedbag.com/bu … l-legrand/

Link to hear samples
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/t … l-legrand/

The review of the new Silva release. I like it.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thanks for the review, Tom. I like this too and will be reviewing it soon. Legrand is underappreciated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    So underappreciated that I posted the review on MT and had to add his name for the first time to the list.
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011
    Southall wrote
    Thanks for the review, Tom. I like this too and will be reviewing it soon. Legrand is underappreciated.

Not by me, he's a superb composer.