• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2019
    Jules wrote
    Personally one of the best of the year for me, so much fun and had some ripper emotional cues. Do the hip-hop elements ruin the score for anyone?

No. If it had been a more pure hip hop score, I might actually have enjoyed it.

That last one was a joke, in case anyone was worried.

Joke for you, perhaps, but seriousness for me. Well, 'masterpieces' is taking it too far, but I'm a big fan, and last year's MORTAL ENGINES had some great stuff in it. This year's ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL is even better, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2019 edited
    Jules wrote
    Not big on lists anymore, but surprised to see so many not keen on Black Panther. Personally one of the best of the year for me, so much fun and had some ripper emotional cues. Do the hip-hop elements ruin the score for anyone? If you haven't revisited it and want a few tracks to try again:

"Killmonger's Dream"
    "Wakanda"
    "Phambili"
    "Ancestral Plane"
    "A King's Sunset"
    "Spaceship Bugatti"
    "Warrior Falls"

Anyway, as far as 2018 scores go I loved BP, Solo, Beale Street, Eighth Grade, Christopher Robin, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote and all of Junkie XL's masterpieces.

That last one was a joke, in case anyone was worried.

I found BLACK PANTHER more impressive than enjoyable. It was in my top ten for a long time after I finally took the time to familiarize myself with all the themes. From a leitmotific perspective, BLACK PANTHER is the best score in the MCU. As the year wore on, though, every time I returned to this score I found myself enjoying it less than the previous time. All those themes are impressive, but it turns out that I just don't find them as enjoyable as a lot of other themes that were composed last year. So it eventually dropped out of my top 20, though not by far.

As for Junkie XL, while I didn't enjoy MORTAL ENGINES overall, I really like "London Suite in C Major." It's one my favorite cues of the year, in fact. I'm sure some of the credit for that probably belongs to Conrad Pope. From about 5:30 on in the piece it's just fantastic!