• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I've been battling some depression lately (seems to be going around). I would love to know what scores always make you happy when you listen to them. I could use some of that.

For me, the new MARY POPPINS RETURNS makes me all kinds of happy. I also really like the hugely OTT pieces of music from LOVE, ACTUALLY by Craig Armstrong. A lot of HTTYD is great for this (for me) as well. And so is LA LA LAND.

What say you all?
  2. I'm sorry to hear that Christopher.

When I'm in a funk, here are some of my go-to pick-me-up scores:

The Holiday by Hans Zimmer
    Dinosaur by James Newton Howard
    Solo by John Powell
    Cinderella by Patrick Doyle
    I Am Sam by John Powell
    The Greatest Game Ever Played by Brian Tyler
  3. Solo has gotten me through quite a few rough times in the past year. Really, anything John Powell tends to do it. The guy's music is just so joyful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2019 edited
    I know what you're dealing with, christopher. I've been suffering with a clinical depression for a couple of years now.

When I have a 'down' that is more powerful than usual, I don't really pay that much attention to music at all, whatever form it is. I find that watching TV or a film works as better distraction.

However, in general, I find that listening to 'happy' music generally has the opposite result. Makes me more depressed. Listening to 'sad' music works better, as in minus plus minus equals plus. More therapeutic and kathartic.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Filmscoregirl wrote
    I'm sorry to hear that Christopher.

When I'm in a funk, here are some of my go-to pick-me-up scores:

The Holiday by Hans Zimmer
    Dinosaur by James Newton Howard
    Solo by John Powell
    Cinderella by Patrick Doyle
    I Am Sam by John Powell
    The Greatest Game Ever Played by Brian Tyler

Those are great suggestions! Thanks. I've actually never heard I Am Sam. I'll have to check that out.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Solo has gotten me through quite a few rough times in the past year. Really, anything John Powell tends to do it. The guy's music is just so joyful.

Agreed.

Thor wrote
    I know what you're dealing with, christopher. I've been suffering with a clinical depression for a couple of years now.

When I have a 'down' that is more powerful than usual, I don't really pay that much attention to music at all, whatever form it is. I find that watching TV or a film works as better distraction.

However, in general, I find that listening to 'happy' music generally has the opposite result. Makes me more depressed. Listening to 'sad' music works better, as in minus plus minus equals plus. More therapeutic and kathartic.

This rings really true to me. In my darkest moods, distraction is all I can do, and music alone doesn't do it. And I certainly wouldn't want something that sounded happy if I did listen to something.
  5. Happily I don't suffer from depression. If I have a bad day, music doesn't help much. The reason is mostly the feeling that things a on top of me and not the other way around. I have to work myself out of that with a boost of willpower, I need to kick my own butt. When I make the emotional turnaround, music helps to amplify the optimism:

Chariots of Fire - Vangelis
    Dead Poets Society - Maurice Jarre
    Return of the Jedi - John Williams
    Robin Hood - Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    Robin of Sherwood - Clannad
    Star Trek TMP - Jerry Goldsmith
    Out of this World - John Williams and the Boston Pops
    The Mission - Ennio Morricone
    Malificent - James Newton Howard
    All the Way, Boys - Guido & Maurizio DeAngilis
    Gone With the Wind - Max Steiner
    TV themes from childhood days.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2019
    Thor wrote
    ...minus plus minus equals plus.

As a maths student, this hurts me. wink
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Really, anything John Powell tends to do it. The guy's music is just so joyful.

So true! When I was thinking about "happier" scores nearly all of his came to mind! He must be a really fun guy in person!
  7. Captain Future wrote

Do I have to turn in my film-score fan card if I admit that I've never listened to any of these scores away from their films from start to finish?

Thanks for sharing!
  8. christopher wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Do I have to turn in my film-score fan card if I admit that I've never listened to any of these scores away from their films from start to finish?

Thanks for sharing!

You certainly don't. Those Italian DeAngelis scores for instance are sort of a guilty pleasure for me. Happy childhood memories. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2019 edited
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles Christopher! Hope you can manage this.

As for music that makes me happy, I often think of some of Michael Nyman's work. His piece for TGV (Musique a Grande Vitesse), or some tracks on his score for Prospero's Books or the piece A La Folie from the film 6 Days, 6 Nights. It's uplifting and very energetic, yet sometimes with a pinch of melancholy in there. And his non-score ork is often also fun (eg. The Final Score from After Extra Time).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2019
    christopher wrote
    I've been battling some depression lately (seems to be going around). I would love to know what scores always make you happy when you listen to them. I could use some of that.

For me, the new MARY POPPINS RETURNS makes me all kinds of happy. I also really like the hugely OTT pieces of music from LOVE, ACTUALLY by Craig Armstrong. A lot of HTTYD is great for this (for me) as well. And so is LA LA LAND.

What say you all?

Tron: Legacy. It's the first film score I actually LOVED, and its still in my favorites.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.