• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2019 edited
    Marco Beltrami - Friday 18 februari 2019

The WSA Ceremony is this year on a FRiday, and they invited MARCO BELTRAMI!
    https://variety.com/2019/music/festival … 203173610/

Tickets on sale from tomorrow!
    www.worldsoundtrackawards.com
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2019
    Yes, I saw the announcement on Facebook. Great choice; met him briefly in LA in 2012.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2019
    I am thinking about it. Still not sure if I want to go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I see that the WSA is now being hosted on a Friday. But is there a lot of related things happening before that in the week?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes, the night before is an other concert (on Thursday), no programme announced yet. There's no other events announced yet. Often, Vooruit is hosting all sorts of things as well, but more artsy. The film festival itself runs from 8 until 18 October.

Next year WSA will be held on a Saturday again.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks!

Alas, with the demise of RyanAir's cheap flights from Norway to Belgium a couple of years ago, getting to this event has become more difficult for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    You mean Brussels? Have you looked at Amsterdam? Ghent is pretty easy to get to by train from both airports
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, Brussels. I've never checked out Amsterdam. Are there really direct and cheap trains from there? How long does that take?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Oh never mind, 3-hour train for 29+ euros. (One-way)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2019 edited
    Yeah, I checked too. Combined price for flights and trains amounts to the same, or higher, as flying with Brussels Airlines directly (which is currently the cheapest option for Norwegians) -- and it takes longer. So unless I were to combine it with a holiday in Amsterdam (which I haven't been to since the 90s), it's not going to happen.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2019 edited
    Penderecki has been confirmed as a guest!

That's a pretty great headliner right there. I saw him when I was in Krakow all those years ago, but only from a far, I never got to meet him, of course.

But I still can't find a way to afford this at the present time. sad All international film music festivals and events are put on temporary hold for me untill I get a proper income. Exceptions are possible film festivals where I might get travel expenses covered.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Penderecki is certainly a headline grabber. And it's this angle that seems to explain his award. Otherwise it is a bit of a weird choice.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2019
    Yes, a bit desperate in terms of the film music connection, but I guess they wanted a star.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2019 edited
    Well, yesterday was the best WSA editions since the event moved to the Capitool venue. Beltrami's selection was very varied. The wonderful Homesman, with its catchy theme and lovely performance, was the opening piece of the concert part. I had never heard it! Then World War Z made the orchestra sweat, incredibly nervous and bombastic, very cool. Other highlights were the piece from Snowpearcer and Gods of Egypt, the latter which was a cue that did not make the cut. Mikael Carsslon was apparently the editor of the concert, you did a great job there!!!

Tamar-kali was Discovery of the Year in 2018, but her selection was too intimate (and also just not so interesting) to fit in the whole programme. Penderecki's choices were the most famous ones, the piece from Shutter Island and the other one that was used in The Shining and Exorcist. One piece would've sufficed, because the music in itself is very unlistenable but it was fascinating to see what is possible with violins and their bows. shocked

Fréderic Devreese's part was another highlight. He also got a Lifetime Achievement Award, because he got 90 years old this year and is quite an important Belgian composer. His selection of music was the richest in terms of orchestration with two dances: Danse de l'Auberge from Un Soir, Un Train (look this up, great!) and a tango from Benvenuta. Great stuff!

John Powell deserved that Public Choice Award so much, and his speech was especially funny. Hildur's award is obviously rather hype-y, but I liked what she did for Chernobyl.

And of course, it's a perfect occasion to see some of the friends that I made over the past 18 editions. Next year will be promising because then they celebrate the 20th anniversary. shocked A chance to get some of you also there?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2019
    Thanks for the report, Bregt. I really, really wanted to go this year, but I'm in a tough situation at the moment, both personally and financially, and there was absolutely no way I could make it. Especially not after RyanAir disbanded their route to Belgium a few years back.

Who knows where we're at next year? If I'm in a better situation, there's no doubt I'll go. I remember attending the 10th anniversary in 2010 (my first Ghent/WSA visit), and it would be neat to repeat it 10 years later.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2019
    I hope you are all right soon! You should come back! smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2019
    I understand it goes back to the weekend in 2020? Probably going again next year.

(Darn I missed Powell!)