• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2021 edited
    OK, so let's try this:

Easter get-together this coming Friday at 6 PM (18:00), Oslo time.

(sorry for the relatively short notice to those of you with family commitments and otherwise busy lives).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2021
    I'll have to see at the moment itself, busy day. Getting things ready for baby 2, which should be born in one of the coming weeks. shocked
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2021
    I'll join.

Bregt, please (please) teach him all the valuable lessions Dirk has taught us....
  1. So exciting Bregt!

I'll see you all on Friday!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2021
    So that's a confirmed from Cailin and Joep (the latter sans video), and a maybe from Pawel and Bregt. And then we'll see who else shows up.

Now I need to spring clean my apartment, see you in a few hours!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Is it the same link as before?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2021
    Yup, always the same link.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thanks Thor for setting up yesterday's meeting. Sorry I had to leave relatively early. But it probably allowed Onya to show off his impersonation of me.

And thanks too to Thomas for staying on for a bit.

The section on trying to think of ways to enliven this messageboard was interesting but I don't think any clear plan was arrived at on how to increase traffic. One obvious and quick way would for current regulars to try and post more. So, I want to say that I will try to post more things and to respond to other people's posts.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. I meant to ask yesterday but did you get a chance to talk about the Hans Zimmer/Justice League social media 'discussion' that was about to be discussed just when I had to leave the chat for something to eat?

It would have been an interesting thing to talk about in a chat (without the documentary evidence that a discussion on a messageboard would leave).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2021 edited
    The section on trying to think of ways to enliven this messageboard was interesting but I don't think any clear plan was arrived at on how to increase traffic. One obvious and quick way would for current regulars to try and post more. So, I want to say that I will try to post more things and to respond to other people's posts.

I will try that too, Alan.

I have to say that last night's meeting was perfect, one of my favourites so far. We talked film and film music, but also lots of other issues. I let Steven in towards the end, believing it was Maintitles member Steven Elfman making his debut, but it turned out to be ex-FSM member "Jim Phelps". That's OK.

I might look into Saturday for the next meeting, since that seems to suit people more.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2021
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I meant to ask yesterday but did you get a chance to talk about the Hans Zimmer/Justice League social media 'discussion' that was about to be discussed just when I had to leave the chat for something to eat?

The Southall/Zimmer issue? No, we didn't get into that while you had your dinner.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote

I will try that too, Alan.

I have to say that last night's meeting was perfect, one of my favourites so far. We talked film and film music, but also lots of other issues. I let Steven in towards the end, believing it was Maintitles member Steven Elfman making his debut, but it turned out to be ex-FSM member "Jim Phelps". That's OK.

I might look into Saturday for the next meeting, since that seems to suit people more.

Either Friday or Saturday is fine for me, Thor.

I am pleased that you thought that it was one of the best Thor - I did wonder how you would feel about it without you 'pre-loading' with a few beers. It did seem though at one or two points whether you were worried that the conversation did die out (with the associated silent air) and I again wondered whether a few extra drinks would have had you talking more about anything that came into your head. But I thought that things went really well and any 'dead air' was quickly filled!

One thing that I did feel self-conscious about was when you admitted Steven into the chat. We were in the middle of talking about MainTitles and how to increase traffic and I felt that he may have felt excluded because we were talking about a messageboard he didn't frequent. But, we soon got onto other subjects that were perhaps more inclusive of people who don't visit out board.
  6. One thing about yesterday's chat was - and I don't mean this to be a patronising comment - that I wanted to thank Thomas for staying as long as you did. I thought that perhaps you may have left earlier that you did at other meetings (thinking perhaps that the topics got less interesting the longer you stay).

I think that the more diverse the participants are the more interesting the discussions are.
  7. I'll try to carry my weight and post more too! I find that I'm not very assertive with my opinion, unless it's something that I love. I will try to share my opinion on scores that I think are just mediocre or that I don't enjoy as much. I guess that could make for more conversation. I think I'm more of a positive person though, so usually share what I enjoy, and don't like dampering other people's enjoyment, even if I may not agree.

Like about the film War Horse that we briefly talked about yesterday. I didn't interject, because I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but my impression of that film was that it was, well, hokey. That painted "Gone-With-the-Wind-esque" sunset at the end was way too pretty, like a cake with icing that's too sweet it makes it inedible. And I love art, and I love beauty but it just didn't work for me personally.
  8. Filmscoregirl wrote
    Like about the film War Horse that we briefly talked about yesterday. I didn't interject, because I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but my impression of that film was that it was, well, hokey. That painted "Gone-With-the-Wind-esque" sunset at the end was way too pretty, like a cake with icing that's too sweet it makes it inedible. And I love art, and I love beauty but it just didn't work for me personally.

I've not seen War Horse but I have yet to come across a cake that has so much icing that it is inedible! wink
  9. Haha, well that's good! smile I don't have a sweet tooth, so maybe that in some weird way translates to why I don't like things too sappy in cinema either!
  10. Filmscoregirl wrote
    I'll try to carry my weight and post more too! I find that I'm not very assertive with my opinion, unless it's something that I love. I will try to share my opinion on scores that I think are just mediocre or that I don't enjoy as much. I guess that could make for more conversation. I think I'm more of a positive person though, so usually share what I enjoy, and don't like dampering other people's enjoyment, even if I may not agree.

You're allowed not to like stuff. Even if Hans Zimmer wouldn't always agree biggrin
  11. Thanks Pawel. It's probably just my "people-pleasing" tendencies that makes me not want to offend anyone who loves something that I don't like so much. I guess it is true about any art form, some people love it, some people don't. That's why there are so many different styles and types of art, and they resonate with everyone differently. Like with fine art, I don't understand the appeal of abstract art, can't stand tie-dye, but admire the creativity of surrealism, and prefer pen & ink. We all have our favorites! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2021 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am pleased that you thought that it was one of the best Thor - I did wonder how you would feel about it without you 'pre-loading' with a few beers. It did seem though at one or two points whether you were worried that the conversation did die out (with the associated silent air) and I again wondered whether a few extra drinks would have had you talking more about anything that came into your head. But I thought that things went really well and any 'dead air' was quickly filled!

I'm not really "afraid" of dead air. It can be useful sometimes, especially in the beginning of meetings, as people gather their thoughts. It's a rhythm thing. Later on in the "party", I'm more prone to fill them to keep the momentum going. But the idea of having the first beer at the beginning of the meeting rather than two hours before, worked well, and I'll try to to do that in the future too.

One thing that I did feel self-conscious about was when you admitted Steven into the chat. We were in the middle of talking about MainTitles and how to increase traffic and I felt that he may have felt excluded because we were talking about a messageboard he didn't frequent. But, we soon got onto other subjects that were perhaps more inclusive of people who don't visit out board.

You're right. It was a weird situation. Thought it was Maintitles Steven, but turned out to be FSM Steven. Once he was in, I didn't really want to say "oh, it's you -- you're not supposed to come on yet. This is only for Maintitles", LOL! I think he tolerated a little bit of Maintitles chat before we went on to other topics.

I'll try to carry my weight and post more too! I find that I'm not very assertive with my opinion, unless it's something that I love. I will try to share my opinion on scores that I think are just mediocre or that I don't enjoy as much. I guess that could make for more conversation. I think I'm more of a positive person though, so usually share what I enjoy, and don't like dampering other people's enjoyment, even if I may not agree.

Passion is the most important, I think, whether it's positive or negative opinions. But it's always best to be constructive in either case.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Filmscoregirl wrote
    Thanks Pawel. It's probably just my "people-pleasing" tendencies that makes me not want to offend anyone who loves something that I don't like so much. I guess it is true about any art form, some people love it, some people don't. That's why there are so many different styles and types of art, and they resonate with everyone differently. Like with fine art, I don't understand the appeal of abstract art, can't stand tie-dye, but admire the creativity of surrealism, and prefer pen & ink. We all have our favorites! smile

Of course, it's not what we like or not, but how we argue our preference. Not in terms of perhaps intellectualizing it, but expressing it in a thoughtful way. The most recent Zimmer/Southall controversy reminded me of my own infamous posts on Brian Tyler on this board, which I quickly privately admitted to Hans after this happened. (and if anyone is interested, I ended up personally apologizing to Tyler on Facebook for them some time later; he didn't know probably anyway, but was compelled to do it myself).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2021
    By the way, where were you on Friday, Joep? Did something unexpected come up?
    I am extremely serious.
  13. PawelStroinski wrote
    It's not what we like or not, but how we argue our preference. Not in terms of perhaps intellectualizing it, but expressing it in a thoughtful way.

I like that Pawel. I think I'll stick to sharing mostly what I love and am enjoying then, but try to articulate more of the WHY part, or more of what makes it special to me. smile And if people dislike what I like, they can totally share that opinion, but I likely won't express my dislikes as much on here. I'd rather share my love of film music with other people that "get it" i.e. you all, other fans, than share my gripes. I don't have anyone else in physical proximity to talk with about film music, so would rather spread more joy than hate.
  14. I think it's ok to not like something and say you don't. But, as long as you respect the composer it should be ok. It's that aspect that I think was a big part of the Zimmer/Southall controversy. But that's my own personal opinion.
  15. Oh, I see. I don't get how you cannot respect every composer. I love them all, even if all of their scores don't hit me in the heart equally. Half the time they are creating under excruciating conditions, limited time frames, and a whole host of other people in part dictating what they produce. I think it's so amazing what incredible music CAN be created in such environments on top of having to create and "be inspired" as an artist themselves. That we get so much amazing music to choose from is mind-blowing.
  16. It is all about respecting the composer and in fact Hans misdirected his hit. While he had a history with Southall himself (I can only speak of the very public The Dark Knight Rises debacle, which got resolved), the person who was the real culprit, I'll name names here, is Thomas Muething, who has downright attacked Hans' character each time Hans happened to comment on a Facebook friend's post. Once it ended up with a lot of composers coming to Hans' defense (Christopher Lennertz, Robert Folk, whose post it actually was) and Hans actually politely asking for MY input in it. So he saw a guy he had problems with right after seeing the Muething post, I would gather.

But anyway, Hans acted out partly because he's the most personally assaulted composer and I mean personally, so are some of the RCP guys. I have a radar on that kind of thing and this is the reason why I don't post (even if I lurk) on the FilmTracks scoreboard.
  17. FalkirkBairn wrote
    One thing about yesterday's chat was - and I don't mean this to be a patronising comment - that I wanted to thank Thomas for staying as long as you did. I thought that perhaps you may have left earlier that you did at other meetings (thinking perhaps that the topics got less interesting the longer you stay).

I think that the more diverse the participants are the more interesting the discussions are.

Don't get this the wrong way, but when the FSM members come on it gets harder for me to follow, because they have very specific topics, making it less interesting for me to follow. But I do love their interaction between one another wink . So will see if I can stay on longer in the future wink

But it felt good just talking about other things, and as always Thor managed to coordinate this perfectly wink
    Was great seeing you all again
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  18. Ps, this upcoming Saturday will not work for me, but friday could work
    But please pick the day that works for most people around here
  19. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    One thing about yesterday's chat was - and I don't mean this to be a patronising comment - that I wanted to thank Thomas for staying as long as you did. I thought that perhaps you may have left earlier that you did at other meetings (thinking perhaps that the topics got less interesting the longer you stay).

Don't get this the wrong way, but when the FSM members come on it gets harder for me to follow, because they have very specific topics, making it less interesting for me to follow. But I do love their interaction between one another wink . So will see if I can stay on longer in the future wink

But it felt good just talking about other things, and as always Thor managed to coordinate this perfectly wink
    Was great seeing you all again

I am very much in the same boat as you Thomas: I get a bit lost with some of the specific topics that crop up but I also love watching and listening to the interaction between everyone and I try and chip in when I can (hence the presence of my Streets of San Francisco CD moment). I am always in awe at how much knowledge everyone has. Particularly the FSM group who seem to know a lot about most music, TV and film!

I did find it particularly interesting when Steven/Jim talked about how he approached watching old TV shows from his childhood. Whereas, I have always watched them from the point-of-view of how I used to watch them (and, hence, try to capture that original enthusiasm for the shows), he now watches them in the context of the time (culture, politics, etc.) in which they were made and shown. That seems to be a much better way of doing it: retaining the feelings you had for the show back then and viewing it with new eyes rather than having the constant disappointment of it not 'being like it used to be.'

But, viewing these old shows from the sixties, seventies and later assumes a firm grasp of the culture and politics of the time. Which is something I don't really have much knowledge in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2021 edited
    Makes sense to do another edition next Saturday, as it will then be one month since the last.

So next meeting is SATURDAY, APRIL 24, at 18:00 (6PM) Norway time. As usual, we have 3 whole hours before the FSM crowd arrives.

I'll see if I can pull out some of my old teenage artwork to show, as previously promised. Otherwise, I was thinking maybe we could pull out a handful of film, music or film music-related books to show, if you have any.

PS. Friday is ALWAYS preferred, at least for me, but I want to accomodate US members - at Maintitles and FSM - once in a while.
    I am extremely serious.
  20. Don't know when I will join (my parents in law are moving the next couple of weekends). So I should make it, but you never know if they ask us to stay for dinner when the work is over. So hour is still debatable.

Hope to see you then