• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I know I totally made this term up, but I’m defining “instrument entrances” as moments in film music where a single instrument comes onto the scene and changes the musical landscape/direction. Something that shifts the emotion in a piece and brings surprise and delight! Maybe it’s an instrument you weren’t expecting, the addition of a mesmerizing tone or color, or an unusual combination that really surprises you and just works so incredibly well with the rest of the ensemble.

For example, one that I love a lot is the entrance of the elective guitar in "Coming Home From The Sea" in THE PERFECT STORM. It’s so sweeping, emotional and melodic with the lush strings, and organic clarinet, then all of a sudden an electric guitar enters at about 3 and half minutes in and it thrusts you into totally new territory, bringing new momentum, fun and energy that I never expected when I first heard it. And it’s just SO darn exciting every time!

I have some other favorites but I want to hear yours! So, maybe this is a hard question, but I thought it could be fun, what are some of your favorite instrument entrances?
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2020 edited
    That's a great question. I'll have to think about that, because I'm sure I'll find a bunch of examples after a while. The first one that came to mind is the trumpet in "Last Shift" from Isham's score LIONS FOR LAMBS. There's a very gradual build-up that starts at about a minute into the track. It's all soft strings that repeat an ascending motif that occasionally restarts and ascends up again. The best part about it, though, is that there is no resolution to any of it until that gorgeous trumpet solo starts at 2:30, and then it resolves. It's a really cool moment, and that trumpet really makes it.
  2. Oh man, that is such a good one! It doesn't hurt either that Tim Morrison is the best trumpet player in the world in my opinion (and my friend), haha. I have so many favorite trumpet solos/moments of his - his sound is just beaming with beauty and majesty.

Another favorite instrument entrance of mine is in the "Opening Titles" of Jurassic Park - it begins as a horror movie with the thump of the percussion, haunting choir and flutes, then out of nowhere the french horn comes in and changes the mood entirely. Going from something chilling to something filled with so much beauty and awe and depth. It's just such an incredible entrance!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdsioux
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2020
    There are so many to choose from. How about the harmonica in Once Upon A Time in the West. It is such a haunting piece that once you hear it you'll never forget. I think it is called "Harmonica Man"

How about the bass clarinet in "Where is Everybody" from Bernard Herrmann
    contempt prior to investigation will keep you in everlasting ignorance
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2020 edited
    I remember being very surprised when the electric guitars came in in that "Chase Through Coruscant" track from Williams' ATTACK OF THE CLONES. Very untypical of him. Or, for that matter, the brief burst of techno in A.I. - but that is not an instrument, technically speaking, and it was also not composed by Williams, but by his son Joseph.

Otherwise, there are - like - a million examples I could choose from, from the weird to the beautiful.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. sdsioux wrote
    There are so many to choose from. How about the harmonica in Once Upon A Time in the West. It is such a haunting piece that once you hear it you'll never forget. I think it is called "Harmonica Man"

That harmonica is so great! I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Herrmann's "Where is Everybody", I'll have to check it out! Is it the one from the Twilight Zone?
  4. Thor wrote
    I remember being very surprised when the electric guitars came in in that "Chase Through Coruscant" track from Williams' ATTACK OF THE CLONES. Very untypical of him. Or, for that matter, the brief burst of techno in A.I. - but that is not an instrument, technically speaking, and it was also not composed by Williams, but by his son Joseph.

How fun that you mention "Chase Through Coruscant" which is actually my favorite cue from Attack of the Clones, but it's truly the percussion that I can't get enough of. I never thought of the guitar being unexpected before because I'm so enthralled with the percussion in that piece, I kind of ignore the other stuff, haha!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdsioux
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2020
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    sdsioux wrote

That harmonica is so great! I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Herrmann's "Where is Everybody", I'll have to check it out! Is it the one from the Twilight Zone?

It is the very first Twilight Zone ever. You can find it on YouTube. It stars Earl Holliman and went into the CBS library of music being used for many things. I'm sure you'll recognize it once you hear it.
    I like your topic very much and my second choice for an opening to a film score is from a film you've probably never heard of called Farewell My Lovely starring Robert Mitchum. It is a pretty trombone solo (my instrument) and was written by David Shire.
    contempt prior to investigation will keep you in everlasting ignorance