• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2020 edited
    Well, Covid also influences the Gent Film Fest and its World Soundtrack Awards.

Alexandre Desplat and Gabriel Yared guests of honour for 20th World Soundtrack Awards

On the occasion of the 20th anniversary, the WSA is proud to welcome back Alexandre Desplat, record holder of the World Soundtrack Film Composer of the Year Award, Gabriel Yared, guest of honour at the very first edition of the WSA, and Michael Abels, Discovery of the Year 2019. Their music, as always performed by the Brussels Philharmonic and Vlaams Radiokoor and conducted by Maestro Dirk Brossé, will be prerecorded and will be part of the live event and the livestream.

Register here for the free livestream event
    https://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/e … 340#form70
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2020 edited
    Yup, I got the mail too.

I guess it's kinda "lucky" for me that they chose Desplat as guest again, a composer I generally dislike. So it makes the prospect of 'missing out' more tolerable. Yared is OK, but no big favourite either. Abels, I've never really understood untill I heard his excellent score for BAD EDUCATION recently.

Let's just get to 2021 already, with - hopefully - more interesting (to me) guests, open borders and (hopefully) travel money on my account.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2020
    Don't forget to subscribe to watch the WSA on the 24th!
    https://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/e … on/20-2368
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2020
    Recommendations for Bregt at Film Fest Gent:

My recommendations:

DRUNK - Vinterberg is back in form! And it deals with something I've experienced myself. Not just the drunk bit, which is every weekend, but being drunk while holding lectures!
    FOR SAMA - one of the most powerful documentaries I've seen this year
    PSYCHOBITCH - Norwegian youth film with heart
    UNDINE - Petzold is back in form too, with gorgeous magic realism
    WENDY - not on the level of THE BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD, but definitely watchable

....and obviously all the 'classics' from film history.

My colleagues' recommendations (I haven't seen them yet):

ALL THE PRETTY LITTLE HORSES
    FIRST COW
    LAST AND FIRST MEN - Jóhannsson and Iceland; this is for you, Bregt!
    NOMADLAND - possibly the biggest Oscar contender this year

Would like to have seen THE GLORIAS too, if only for the Goldenthal score in-context (already have the album), but it will probably premiere here in due time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2020
    Thanks! Drunk was on our list too. I didn't think of you yet, but now, it would make sense. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2020
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Can't get it to work.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Found it, never mind!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2020 edited
    ...and it was relatively boring. I tuned off after the Yared interview with Brossé.

My mind was wandering to Belgian pubs and beers instead.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2020
    biggrin

In the current circumstances, I was really happy they were able to create the event they made. The documentary was cool! Throwback memories to one of the first edition (I was there in 2002 for the very first time).

The show was not perfect, but still very well done. The editing was a bit unlucky sometimes, but I enjoyed especially the Yared and Abels concert, the latter was really impressive!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2020
    I like the cd that the film festival released, WSA: Tribute to the Film Composer. A varied, surprising selection. Troy is a high light!

Here's a review
    http://www.movie-wave.net/world-soundtr … -composer/
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2020 edited
    I haven´t heard it yet, but I curious about how they chose these specific pieces.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2020 edited
    I've had it for a couple of weeks (in digital format). Great album indeed. I intended to review it, but it would be a long review, and James & Jon always beat me to it. They're so fast in writing their reviews! And it's always best to get the first review out there.

Maybe I'll nonetheless find the inspiration soon.
    I am extremely serious.