• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hans Zimmer - Inception

I should return to it far more often than I do.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2021 edited
    It's probably 2 years since I last listened to it.

In my older years, I find myself returning to the tried and true "classics" less and less, or the big Hollywood blockbusters. I veer more towards lesser known/talked-about titles from the past, or from the present. But I know they're THERE, if I want to listen to them -- like meeting an old friend.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2021
    Thor wrote
    NP: MUSASHI (Ennio Morricone)

Leave it to Morricone to sound absolutely nothing like his Japanese colleagues (Takemitsu, Hayasaka, Sato etc.) when writing the music for this 2003 samurai series. But absolutely like himself and some Italian drama. Still, great score.

Agreed. My review: http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/musas … e-1-and-2/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2021
    NP: OLIVIER, OLIVIER / EUROPA, EUROPA (Zbginiew Preisner)

Perfect for a Sunday morning. The earliest Preisner I have (in terms of his film music, anyway). Aching, spacey melancholy....nobody does it better.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2021
    NP: THE LONELY PLANET, VOLUME 2 (various)

I have both 2CD volumes, and they're great music for a smooth summer day. Can't beat world music/New Age vibes.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. John Williams - Minority Report

I consider this to be one of Williams' most underrated score. Herrmannesque, but what an atmosphere!
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    John Williams - Minority Report

I consider this to be one of Williams' most underrated score. Herrmannesque, but what an atmosphere!

Strange, I liked War of the Worlds more, because of the atmosphere and brutal dark dissonance wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2021
    I think both are great.

NP: EVERYBODY'S GONE TO THE RAPTURE (Jessica Curry)

Superb videogame score, the best of 2015. Gorgeous, psalm-like choirs and Delerue-ian bittersweetness. Curry's LET US MELT from 2017 is great too, but not quite on this level. Unfortunately, Curry struggles with a serious degenerative disease, which adds a whole other layer to this music.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    I think both are great.

NP: EVERYBODY'S GONE TO THE RAPTURE (Jessica Curry)

Superb videogame score, the best of 2015. Gorgeous, psalm-like choirs and Delerue-ian bittersweetness. Curry's LET US MELT from 2017 is great too, but not quite on this level. Unfortunately, Curry struggles with a serious degenerative disease, which adds a whole other layer to this music.

The game is quite weird though, but agree on the music. Quite beautiful
    Sad to hear about the disease sad
  5. Due to the anniversary of his passing...

James Horner - The New World

Wrote a lot about it here and it's a personal favorite, though I consider Legends of the Fall to be his best.

In fact I wrote on the score twice, one is a guest review on the Polish site, where I focus on the musical depiction of love and in a music quarterly I've written for in recent years, where I dealt with the way Horner writes about nature. Same score, two different philosophical contexts, yes.

James Horner - The Rocketeer

The Intrada release without the songs and repeated original albums (the songs I heard once and they are nice and all, but I like to have my score experience a, well, score experience. Heat is a notable exception where the songs ARE the score).

Great fun, what else could be said? smile
  6. Both amazing scores! I don't normally like sound effects in my scores, but how Horner incorporates the bird sounds into the score, is just so fitting and unique.
  7. Edward Shearmur - K-Pax

I wish this one got mentioned more often on assorted boards, really. A very pleasant, urban listen with a great orchestra/electronics marriage. Thor would probably know better which electronica genre this is close to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2021 edited
    Thanks for the tip, Pawel...it's been ages since I listened to that. I'd say it has its fair share of New Age elements, and a little bit of Café del Mar/chillout at times. Great score -- showcases Shearmur's versatility.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Clemmensen finds the score depressing. I find it actually the contrary. There is something affirming to it. And I think, while the story is a mystery, the fact that Shearmur doesn't play the mystery very much (though there is a bit of delicate sense of wonder and awe) works to its benefit. I haven't seen the film for years, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2021
    Yeah, haven't seen it since it came out either. The album has managed to live its own life as a concept album for all these years. Listening to it again now, I'm struck by "Taxi Ride" and how it reminds me of the opening of Leftfield's "Release the Pressure" -- it has some of those dub elements nailed down.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Taxi Ride will definitely become a part of my very eclectic (and, even, not film music specific, ranging from classic rap to trip hop to Jan Garbarek to Jerry Goldsmith) "urban playlist".
  10. I was listening to Korngold's The Sea Hawk again (after Erik played the trailer music from it on his show) and was just so enthralled with it (even though I've listened to it a few times before). Like, I couldn't/didn't want to pause it even, it was like the "couldn't-put-it-down-book" version of a film score. Do you have any scores that you listen to that are just so enthralling, you just can't interrupt them?
  11. I tend to interrupt a lot, but there are scores I can't really listen to single tracks from, but have to listen to the whole album altogether. I'd say, except Thin Red Line (though I have an inspirational playlist featuring only Light and Stone in My Heart, but that serves a purpose), it would definitely feature Snow Falling on Cedars, Interstellar and The New World. Says a lot about the preference, doesn't it? smile

James Horner - Enemy at the Gates

Probably will finish soon (I'm on Sacha's Risk now, but it's late), but I mention this because we probably all have favorite tracks that for everyone else would be weird. In my case that'd be The Tractor Factory.
  12. Is it me or is it one of Horner's worst recordings, quality-wise? To me it's always sounded like one of Simon Rhodes' lesser works.
  13. To me, The Spiderwick Chronicles - the mixing is off, and I have a hard time hearing everything - like the dynamics aren't there, it's just kind of a bit muddled. I'm not sure if it's on purpose or not, but it makes for a difficult listen for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2021
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I was listening to Korngold's The Sea Hawk again (after Erik played the trailer music from it on his show) and was just so enthralled with it (even though I've listened to it a few times before). Like, I couldn't/didn't want to pause it even, it was like the "couldn't-put-it-down-book" version of a film score. Do you have any scores that you listen to that are just so enthralling, you just can't interrupt them?

Sure, but it depends on how the album is organized. It needs to be re-arranged for listening, and succinct enough, so I won't lose interest.

THE SEA HAWK is a great score, I have the Kojian/Utah album which lasts a perfect 45 minutes.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Filmscoregirl wrote
    To me, The Spiderwick Chronicles - the mixing is off, and I have a hard time hearing everything - like the dynamics aren't there, it's just kind of a bit muddled. I'm not sure if it's on purpose or not, but it makes for a difficult listen for me.

What do you think of THe New World then? I think that on the one hand, it could be a better recording, on the other hand there is a certain wetness to it that adds to the magic.

But Enemy at the Gates doesn't seem to have an idea what to do with the orchestra AND the choir, especially that the choir seems to be more reverberated than the orchestra.

There's also Windtalkers, where there the trumpets and snare are emphasized almost to a fault, though there is something very compelling about that harsh, nasty sound in what is a very depressing, relentless war film score. Ironically, the snare emphasis is something that Enemy at the Gates could do a bit more with, because there, it feels, Rhodes (and Horner himself, we have to remember that composers have their preferences and sometimes even work on the levels themselves) wasn't exactly sure how to handle the moments when the snares perform a steady crescendo in the more unbearable moments. It is quite rare for Horner to have the snare feature in these crescendi so prominently.
  15. I really love The New World, and don't have any listening issues with it.

I totally agree with you on the orchestra and choir in Enemy at the Gates. It's a little bit "noisy" but not for lack of composition quality, so it must be the mixing and recording.

I remember seeing a pre-screening of Windtalkers on my college campus, and there was a real Navajo code talker at the theater as a special quest who also did a q&a afterwards. I was only there to get a sneak-peak of Horner's score, but left really impacted by some of our US history, and hearing about the man's experience.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2021
    John Williams

Not Playing now but was last nights entertainment. More of a best of playlist as I don't have access to my scores ( why oh why didn't I download all my favourites before leaving the UK ), stuff from Star Wars, A.I., Jane Eyre, Indiana Jones etc...

P.S. Is Tom still about?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  16. Eden (Kevin Penkin)

May I recommend this? Far from a brilliant score, and way too long. But it's got a nice interesting vibe, lots of interesting little cues and at least it's a score that doesn't sound like 100 scores you heard before. Colorful, full of thematic ideas and I really adore the action heroic pieces (the brass work sounds sampled, but it still gives a nice movie music kick when it explodes with gusto). Some nice emotional material too. One of the small hidden surprises of the year. Maybe I'm biased because I heard Gregon-Williams Infinite before it (a boring score that does sound like you expected it), but no Eden is a nice surprise

Alan, somehow I have the feeling you will really like this one to review for your site.
  17. Thanks for the heads up on this. There's so much I need to listen to to get up to date with new releases!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2021
    James Horner

NP: Star Trek III The Search For Spock -

Shame I'm not listening this in gorgeous Pokhara ( I'm back in Kathmandu ), one of my all time favourite scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  18. F9 (Brian Tyler)

It goes on and on, this feels like Junkie XL and his Justice League. Anyway it's serviceable but at this length also incredibly forgetful. It also has little surprises and blends in other things he did. Lately Tyler hasn't done a lot that surprised me. It's from The Mummy that I got any real pleasure out of listening to Tyler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2021
    ATLANTIS: THE LOST EMPIRE - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

Haven't listened to this in a long while. It's great to hear again though. Big bombastic lines and beautiful mystic synthy bits. Can't believe it's 20 years old already. slant

Looking forward to his score for JUNGLE CRUISE. I've liked everything Howard has written for Disney so far - even the recent RAYA - so the stakes couldn't be higher.
  19. Daniel Hart - The Green Knight

Quite original and very compelling in its combination of old English folk and Arvo Pärt. Quite a bit of Fratres to it, but it can be both oppressive and gorgeous.