• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    christopher wrote
    Just finished listening to CLARET by Oscar Martin Leanizbarrutia. It's quite beautiful. The opening track is the grandest on the album, so don't expect it to get bigger than that, but It's a solid score that will almost certainly be in my top 10 by the end of the year.

Hear a lot of good things about this. Sometimes I wonder, would your impression (rating) be different if they placed the best track last? Because then you're ending the album on the highest note? Instead of starting with it.

For me this definitely changes things

For sure. A big cue at the end is a real payoff. It's best when the first cue can serve as a nice introduction to the album, presenting the theme in a notable way, but then elevating that theme to its highest heights at the end. It makes for a great listening experience on album.

That is not always feasible, however. This films seems (based the score) to get darker as it goes. It seems a big finale cue wasn't going to fit the film at all, so I'm glad Leanizbarrutia chose to go all out on the opening cue as he wouldn't get the chance to do that later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2021
    NP: ANGST (Klaus Schulze)

Interestingly, only "Surrender" was actually used in the film, so the 'soundtrack' label is somewhat misleading. But it's still one of Schulze's best concept albums. More open than the static sequencer stuff from the 70s. "Freeze" remains one of his best known tracks.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Dune (Hans Zimmer)

One highlight, when it ends wink

Nah seriously, the first part is utter noise for me, second part is a bit better but that's not saying much. I would like to compare this with Crimson Tide. Crimson also had its fair share of ambiance, noise, sound effects mixed in the score as one sound. BUT besides the obvious grand theme, Crimson also had the art of mixing the ambiance with the thrill, the tension and it delivered its fair share of brief melodic moments. Something Dune severely lacks.

Dune is all about creating a mood for the new world, but in that forgetting to tie it musically together. At least for me with musical ideas.

I'm happy this one has fans, but for me it shares the same effect as Dunkirk. Meaning I'll never listen to it again. And the sad fact of the matter is, Dunkirk was much more effective in the film. Dune overpowers everything and therefore takes my attention away from the visual.

5 out of 10 (like the film)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Hello! I hope, everybody is fine!

STAR TREK II - The Wrath of Khan (1982) - James Horner / La La Land

A great release! By direct comparison, the score mix seams to sound a bit warmer than on the FSM release. It's a nice touch, that they added the actual LP master on the second disc. So, it's great, this iconic score is available again. But whoever owns the FSM release or some predecessor (in case you are not into expansions) should be fine with that in my opinion.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Captain Future wrote
    Hello! I hope, everybody is fine!

A great release! By direct comparison, the score mix seams to sound a bit warmer than on the FSM release. It's a nice touch, that they added the actual LP master on the second disc. So, it's great, this iconic score is available again. But whoever owns the FSM release or some predecessor (in case you are not into expansions) should be fine with that in my opinion.

Volker

Hey Volker, welcome back, hope everything's fine with you
  5. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Hello! I hope, everybody is fine!

Volker

Hey Volker, welcome back, hope everything's fine with you

All is fine, thanks, Thomas!
  6. No surprise here that I've been listening to the Superman & Lois soundtrack by Dan Romer that came out yesterday. It's like rewatching the series with my ears and it's wonderful! I might be biased, but I highly recommend you check it out! It's beautifully done and kind of blends the majestic sound of Williams and introspective sound of Zimmer to make a new perfect mixture of a Superman sound.
  7. Filmscoregirl wrote
    No surprise here that I've been listening to the Superman & Lois soundtrack by Dan Romer that came out yesterday. It's like rewatching the series with my ears and it's wonderful! I might be biased, but I highly recommend you check it out! It's beautifully done and kind of blends the majestic sound of Williams and introspective sound of Zimmer to make a new perfect mixture of a Superman sound.

I'm actually holding out to hear it, as I want to check the series out first.
    But I need to find a good place to download it wink
  8. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Dune is all about creating a mood for the new world, but in that forgetting to tie it musically together

You just described the majority of Zimmer's output of the last decade
  9. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'm actually holding out to hear it, as I want to check the series out first.

Awesome! I think you're going to love it. And I do think you'll appreciate the music even more after seeing the show.
  10. The Last Duel: Harry Gregson-Williams

Same as most Gregson-Williams scores of late. It's nice, it's decent and more than most it goes back to the roots of Kingdom of Heaven. But it doesn't last, it doesn't leave a meaningful memory behind. Foremost, it lacks what made Kingdom of Heaven memorable, some outstanding tracks and some powerful pieces. Once I thought he exploded with something and I was immediately intrigued, alas it was the begin of a commercial on spotify biggrin

The vocals are nice though, but no way is this another Kingdom of Heaven. Ironically the final track (a song based on Gregson-Williams music) is actually the most powerful track of all
  11. Ron's Gone Wrong: Henry Jackman

Fun, nothing more. Relies heavily on Wreck-it-Ralph's 80's sound which isn't a bad thing.
  12. I'm not sure why The Last Duel wasn't on my radar for the music, just excited about the actors/director - thanks for the insight Thomas. I also love Kingdom of Heaven, so will interested to hear this one too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2021
    THE LAST DUEL is certainly a top 10 score of 2021 for me. The film is not "epic" by any stretch of the imagination, so the music isn't either (neither in amount nor sound), and thank God for that. It's rather a more discrete, intimate affair with lovely medieval details and voices.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Thor wrote
    THE LAST DUEL is certainly a top 10 score of 2021 for me. The film is not "epic" by any stretch of the imagination, so the music isn't either (neither in amount nor sound), and thank God for that. It's rather a more discrete, intimate affair with lovely medieval details and voices.

I knew you would like it. Guess for me there isn't a theme or hook that keeps luring me back to the music. But I've heard worse this year. The vocals at least made it interesting enough to remain focussed. But I won't visit it again
  14. You don't really believe in scores that demand repeated listenings, do you?

I find HGW's more restrained music to belong in that category.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  15. PawelStroinski wrote
    You don't really believe in scores that demand repeated listenings, do you?

I find HGW's more restrained music to belong in that category.

The problem is, for IFMCA I don't even get the time to hear scores twice. Let's say perhaps 10 to 20 scores per year get 2 or 3 listens from me (and those are the ones I review). If not I don't get to +400 scores per year (like I always get)

It's true that it's a bit dishonest for some scores (music grows after repeated listens) but I need to focus on hearing as much scores as possible. If not I'm not doing my job fairly, if not I'm perhaps missing out on a hidden gem (and I found already some this year)

But in general I pretty much get what the score is worth after one listen, it will not change a lot in either direction. Except when I suddenly experienced it in the film, then impressions can change. That's why I found it important to hear Dune first as heard in the film, then on CD. Usually it helps getting the context in the film, but sadly for this case it didn't change my impression of it
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2021 edited
    Yeah, I get that challenge too. Usually, I can glean from listening to a promo once (or sometimes even skipping tracks) if it's something worthwhile. If I find no potential there, I delete it right away. If I do find potential, I'll keep it for a second listening. If I still like it after the second listening, I'll import it to my iTunes and "own it" for further listening. Or I put it in a folder for good scores that need whittling to work. As you say, if I don't do this, I don't get to listen to as many new releases as I want.

Fortunately for me, I loved THE LAST DUEL already when watching the film, and then fairly immediately during the first listen. So there wasn't much "processing" needed in that case.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2021
    NP: THE POTATO VENTURE (Paanu Aaltio)

Another fun, medieval-style score that I will keep. But again, it needs whittling.
    I am extremely serious.
  16. NP: To Kill A Mockingbird (Elmer Bernstein)

The ava re-recording that Intrada just released as a single CD. Recorded with a chamber type orchestra and the contemporary recording equipment one year after the actual film, what you hear is virtually undistinguishable from what you hear in the film.
    The full-orchestra recording that Varese Sarabande did, also with the composer conducting his score, has been in my collection ever since it was released in 1997. It's a more independent or concertante interpretation of the music. I am glad to have both recordings of this iconic score in my collection now.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2021
    Captain Future wrote
    The full-orchestra recording that Varese Sarabande did, also with the composer conducting his score, has been in my collection ever since it was released in 1997.

I've tried a great many versions, but I always return to that. I think I will for the rest of my life. Although I will have some academic interest in the original soundtrack recording being released, since John Williams plays piano in it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    christopher wrote
    Just finished listening to CLARET by Oscar Martin Leanizbarrutia. It's quite beautiful. The opening track is the grandest on the album, so don't expect it to get bigger than that, but It's a solid score that will almost certainly be in my top 10 by the end of the year.

Hear a lot of good things about this. Sometimes I wonder, would your impression (rating) be different if they placed the best track last? Because then you're ending the album on the highest note? Instead of starting with it.

For me this definitely changes things

For sure. A big cue at the end is a real payoff. It's best when the first cue can serve as a nice introduction to the album, presenting the theme in a notable way, but then elevating that theme to its highest heights at the end. It makes for a great listening experience on album.

That is not always feasible, however. This films seems (based the score) to get darker as it goes. It seems a big finale cue wasn't going to fit the film at all, so I'm glad Leanizbarrutia chose to go all out on the opening cue as he wouldn't get the chance to do that later.

I listened to this recently and enjoyed it too. Publicist over on JWFAN called it "karaoke Delerue", and although I can see his point, I really like it. It's a lovely, pastoral score that you don't often hear anymore and that avoids the temptation of dilluting the unashamed orchestral consonance and elaborate structures with ostinato tropes or similar. Certainly a highlight of the year, and I've never even heard of the composer before.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CLIMAX (various)

punk
    I am extremely serious.
  17. NP: Legend (1943) Jerry Goldsmith & Tangerine Dream

I got the recent release of the Goldsmith score (Silva Screen) and took the occasion to also get the Tangerine Dream CD for a collector's price. Which will probably mean, that Varese Sarabande will re-release it next week. wink

The score by Goldsmith is outstanding, with TD being not far behind.

Volker
  18. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Legend (1943) Jerry Goldsmith & Tangerine Dream

I got the recent release of the Goldsmith score (Silva Screen) and took the occasion to also get the Tangerine Dream CD for a collector's price. Which will probably mean, that Varese Sarabande will re-release it next week. wink

Volker

Did you get the recently expanded Goldsmith score from Music Box Records or the previously-released Silva Screen version?

https://www.musicbox-records.com/fr/cd- … egend.html

BTW, I am not sure that the year of 1943 is correct. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  19. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Legend (1943) Jerry Goldsmith & Tangerine Dream

Volker

Did you get the recently expanded Goldsmith score from Music Box Records or the previously-released Silva Screen version?

https://www.musicbox-records.com/fr/cd- … egend.html

BTW, I am not sure that the year of 1943 is correct. wink

Hihi! Typing on the smart phone, I was.
    The Silva Screen one. A double CD, featuring the score and the album. ... Aehm ... On closer inspection, my copy names both labels, Music Box and Silva Screen. It's the one the link refers to.
  20. Thanks Volker.

I wonder how the 'expanded' version is with its extra 4 minutes of music.

Rather than having the full score on one CD and the remastered original album on the second, it would have been more interesting to have the Jerry Goldsmith score on one CD and the Tangerine Dream score on the other. Probably a licensing nightmare though.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2021
    NP: ME, NATALIE (Henry Mancini)

From '69. This is the Mancini I prefer -- laidback and loungey (as opposed to many of his upbeat, comic things).
    I am extremely serious.
  21. The Most Reluctant Convert (Craig Armstrong)

Typically lovely Armstrong music, with a special mention of Lewis' Hymn (both the orchestral and the piano version). Alas for 38 minutes and 24 tracks, it doesn't leave much room for development. But lovely to listen to nonetheless
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2021 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Most Reluctant Convert (Craig Armstrong)

Typically lovely Armstrong music, with a special mention of Lewis' Hymn (both the orchestral and the piano version). Alas for 38 minutes and 24 tracks, it doesn't leave much room for development. But lovely to listen to nonetheless

As it happens, I tried that earlier today. Alas, didn't do anything for me. In fact, I would go so far as to call it straight-up boring. And that's strange coming from me, being a longtime Armstrong fan. Then again, I didn't care for his IVAN either (which everyone else seemed to love), so might just be me.

Last Armstrong to really ignite me was FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD, and that's 6 years ago already.
    I am extremely serious.