• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2021 edited
    NP: SWITCH (Henry Mancini)

Very untypical Mancini -- venturing into rock/pop/electronic idioms of the period (it's from 1991). But I dig it!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Call of Duty: Vanguard (BEAR MCCREARY)

It isn't as good as the Giacchino's war scores (referring to the MOH's) but I had fun listening. Even more, so far the best McCreary score of the year of him. This is a score I want to listen to again, because several tracks demanded it.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2021
    NP: ARMY OF THIEVES (Zimmer & Mazzaro)

This is lots of fun. A mish-mash of SHERLOCK HOLMES, TOYS, MATCHSTICK MEN, Mazzaro's CHAPPIE stuff and everything inbetween. Throw in some yodeling too. A fresh and "open" score after the darker and more complex DUNE. I quite liked the film too, although it's not on the level of ARMY OF THE DEAD.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2021 edited
    NP: SAVE THE CITY from HAWKEYE (Marc Shaiman)

I never thought I'd say this about a Marvel musical number, but man, this is an incredible power boost. If it helps just one Marvel fan to get through a hard day, it's been worth it. My bet is it will be thousands, on a thousand days. Well done!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2021 edited
    NP: PRINCESS MONONOKE - Joe Hisaishi

I’ve long refrained from watching Studio Ghibli films because I couldn’t quite get into the anime drawing style, but a recent something set me on its track again and researching these films I once again notice how beloved they all are with critics. Starting to listen to these scores as a gateway in I notice some really lovely passages and enticing themes. I’ve only actually seen The Red Turtle so far, which has enough beautiful elements, so I might just need to dip in and at least see the classics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2021 edited
    NP: CODE OF SILENCE (David Michael Frank)

Chuck's best movie? In any case, a cool 1985 score by Frank that combines old-school funk with TD-like sequencers and whatnot. Dig it! This is actually culled from a recent BSX release (the "David Michael Frank Collection, Volume 1" or some such thing), but deserves its own album in my iTunes.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I haven't seen it, but have heard of it. Is it the one where Norris' attempts at acting actually hit some of the marks (not unlike Seagal in Above the Law)?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2021
    Yeah. But it's been decades since I saw it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2021 edited
    Deleted because the matter has been resolved. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2021 edited
    Same. Sorry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2021 edited
    NP: THE MATRIX RESURRECTIONS - Tom Tykwer, Reinhold Heil

It’s up on the official Warner Bros. FYC site, and while I’m happy they kept Don Davis’ trademark Matrix sound, it also feels like a weak copy. So far (halfway through) I haven’t heard any unique new sound, apart from the addition of lazy sounding beats / electronics. Tracks tend to become a bit boring due to its repetition.

I had high hopes for Simulatte Brawl to bring back some of the orchestral writing from Reloaded’s Burly Brawl, but once again it’s mainly cello’s being stuck in the same loop of REALLY THREATENING STRINGS, be it with a nice choral-aided crescendo at the end, but lazy writing nonetheless.

I was hoping we’d get the creative side of Tykwer and Heil from Perfume or Cloud Atlas, but aside from some interesting moments (the choir in Enter IO sounds good, I guess) the whole thing sounds like a watered down version of what Davis did. No interesting standout themes (if at all), no melodic hook.

Mainly, this makes me want to go back to Davis’ original works and go listen to that. Which is a shame because, knowing what these guys are capable of, I was actually looking forward to this.
  3. Honestly there is no excuse for not hiring Don Davis again. None.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2021 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Honestly there is no excuse for not hiring Don Davis again. None.

Well, we don’t know what happened on a personal level between the Wachowski’s and Davis, and we don’t know Davis’ life right now, but now that I’ve heard the end result of Tykwer and Heil’s effort, it sure is a shame that he wasn’t brought back (and I’m not the biggest fan of his - after all, he also did compose Jurassic Park III).

NP: THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG - Howard Shore

The more I hear these scores, the less I understand the grumpiness that surround these. It was never going to be the powerhouse that was Lord of the Rings, people, but what we got are nonetheless truly excellent works of Middle Earth full of thematic writing. They are different, sure, but there’s more than enough adventure and beauty on offer.
  4. I agree with you about the Hobbit scores, and thoroughly disagree with you about Jurassic Park III. biggrin
  5. Rumble (Lorne Balfe)

Too bad this is all synthesized, because I can image this would have sounded way better through an orchestra. It was fun though
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2022
    NP: THERE IS NO EVIL (Amir Molookpour)

Technically a 2020 score, but only released in 2021 -- the latest film from esteemed Iranian director Mohammad Rasoulouf. Very interesting score by Amir Molookpour, some lovely melancholic/melodramatic writing that sends associations to Italians and Frenchmen of the 60s and 70s rather than Iran. Between this and WOODGIRLS - A DUET FOR A DREAM (2021), also released on Moviescore Media, Molookpour is one of the biggest composer discoveries I've made in 2021.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. The Matrix Resurrections (Tykwer & Klimek)

This is not The Matrix at all. Don't know why Davis wasn't allowed or didn't want to do it, but this is not even a copy / paste effort. Lacks the entire avant garde balls to the walls energy of Davis his sound, and their background / emotional underscore is boring. They aren't bad composers, they've done good things. But this is seriously lacking in all departments.

The movie is average at best. All in all, was expecting a LOT more from both film and music. But the music is definitely the weakest of the 2
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2022
    For the first time, we might actually agree. However, I do think both the film and music are equally average.

http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/the-m … rrections/
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2022 edited
    Scream (2022) - Brian Tyler

So far not a single Beltrami theme in sight, in this rather bland suspense score.
  7. John Powell - P.S. I Love You

My last year's discovery. What a cute little score!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. My favorite of his romantic comedy scores by some distance. It's utterly charming. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2022
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Powell - P.S. I Love You

My last year's discovery. What a cute little score!

Thank you for reminding me of this Pawel. Haven't listened to it in years. I'm in a drunk score re-discovery mood at the moment and you caught me at the right time pal.

Much love. kiss
  9. BobdH wrote
    Scream (2022) - Brian Tyler

So far not a single Beltrami theme in sight, in this rather bland suspense score.

Brian Tyler usually delivered some great moments here and there, but lately not impressed at all by his recent output

Haven't heard the theme for the Yellowstone prequel though
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2022
    No Don Davis on the new Matrix... no Marco Beltrami on the new Scream.

Hollywood has lost its mind.
  10. Frankly one of those is a greater crime than the other.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2022
    Yeah, I could imagine Beltrami felt he had done all he could with the Scream franchise, with yet another one not adding much challenge for him any more. Also, I just watched Scream 4 and found his score to be weirdly spotted at times, especially in the first half too much underscoring the comedy, and lacking in the theme department. So a fresh composer like Brian Tyler to the franchise could’ve given something new. But alas.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2022
    Ilaiyaraaja's 'background music' for film. It's eccentric, to say the least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2022
    Joep wrote
    Ilaiyaraaja's 'background music' for film. It's eccentric, to say the least.

I've never sat down to properly explore his work, even though I've been aware of him forever. For the record holder of most film scores produced, there's bound to be great variance in quality.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2022 edited
    I can assure you, there's little quality in all I know. I find it difficult to ascertain why Indian people generally hugely appreciate them, and all of his efforts, despite of his popularity (based on what, his bad songs/scores in and out context?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2022 edited
    NP: THE BLUE MAX - Jerry Goldsmith
    NP: THE SHADOW - Jerry Goldsmith
    NP: DRACULA - John Williams

Finally found out how I got my CD’s to upload to my Apple Music library in such a way that it synced to my iPhone as well, so I could be able to listen to my ‘specialty music’ easier, so spent the evening importing and listening to my newer additions to the collection. Especially loved The Blue Max, The Shadow and Dracula, but man, that Dracula love theme is reminiscent of Kilar’s Dracula (and by extension Elfman’s Wolfman), isn’t it?