• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2022 edited
    BobdH wrote
    NP: THE BLUE MAX - Jerry Goldsmith
    NP: THE SHADOW - Jerry Goldsmith
    NP: DRACULA - John Williams

Finally found out how I got my CD’s to upload to my Apple Music library in such a way that it synced to my iPhone as well, so I could be able to listen to my ‘specialty music’ easier, so spent the evening importing and listening to my newer additions to the collection. Especially loved The Blue Max, The Shadow and Dracula, but man, that Dracula love theme is reminiscent of Kilar’s Dracula (and by extension Elfman’s Wolfman), isn’t it?

Not sure that it's reminiscent. Williams is more elaborate while Kilar is trademark minimalist. But they're both similar in that they approach the Dracula myth in a romantic, sensual fashion.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2022
    NP: BIRDY (Peter Gabriel)

This is not on the level of THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST, and Gabriel reuses a lot of material from preceding studio albums -- but his new compositions combined with the instrumental versions of the existing material bleed together wonderfully. Airy, mysterious and tribal. The film was one of my favourites in my teenage years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2022
    NP: THE BATMAN (Michael Giacchino)

God, why am I exposing myself to this crap? An endless string of two-note chords, as if it's a child plunking away at a piano, and then orchestrated with a million dollars. Or low-register rumbles that go nowhere fast. I won't be able to make it through one single listen, but I needed to know what it was about to have the references in order. As for the film, I skipped the press screening earlier this week (I'm all superheroed out), but might give it a go if it hits some streaming service at some point.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2022 edited
    NP: FOXES (Giorgio Moroder/various)

Aaah. Needed that as an antidote. Sweet disco.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2022
    NP: FEAST OF JULY (Zbigniew Preisner)

Few composers can get so much out of a solo instrument -- a woodwind, a guitar, a piano -- and a little bit of reverb as Preisner. This 1995 effort is another good example. I don't play it very often, but I should.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I agree that Preisner is good at being expressive with few forces. The reverb indeed contributes to the expressiveness, but I often find it's a bit too much of it, obscuring import details.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think the reverb is almost like an instrument in and of itself. It adds colour.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE PARK IS MINE (Tangerine Dream)

It requires a proper remastering, but it's still a bloody excellent score!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote

God, why am I exposing myself to this crap? An endless string of two-note chords, as if it's a child plunking away at a piano, and then orchestrated with a million dollars. Or low-register rumbles that go nowhere fast. I won't be able to make it through one single listen, but I needed to know what it was about to have the references in order. As for the film, I skipped the press screening earlier this week (I'm all superheroed out), but might give it a go if it hits some streaming service at some point.

I don't think that I can listen to it all the way through. Which is a shame, I like Giacchino's Batman 'theme' and the various ways in which he varies the orchestrations that surround it.

But, then I think how what he's written for the main character in a major movie is what someone such as John Barry would write for a 30 second run-up to Bond defusing a bomb and then move on and I realise just what film music has become in some circumstances.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Now playing Lady Jane by Stephen Oliver. Anybody else loves this score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2022
    I sometimes wonder if you have other scores in your collection, JS. wink

But yes, I play it sometimes. Only the OST version, though, obviously. Fine score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote

I adore the Sonata piece at the end of the album. It made me think of the Big Short Piano piece, which was also a long suite, at the end of the Big Short album (Britell). Any other similar pieces that you think of? Dark, piano solo pieces, covering the themes of the score that went before?
    Kazoo
  4. Thor wrote
    I sometimes wonder if you have other scores in your collection, JS. wink

But yes, I play it sometimes. Only the OST version, though, obviously. Fine score.

You don't really need any other score than this one. You should try listening to the expanded presentation. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jurassic Shark wrote
    You don't really need any other score than this one. You should try listening to the expanded presentation. wink

I tried, but it meandered too much. The OST presented the perfect amount of music.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Jurassic Shark wrote

I tried, but it meandered too much. The OST presented the perfect amount of music.

At least it's got more source music, all of which is good.
  6. KING Guillaume Roussel

Pleasant to hear some old fashioned orchestral music here, but lacks a solid theme or hook to make it more appealing. Still pleasant enough for a listen on Spotify
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2022 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    KING Guillaume Roussel

Pleasant to hear some old fashioned orchestral music here, but lacks a solid theme or hook to make it more appealing. Still pleasant enough for a listen on Spotify

Roussel's BLACK BEAUTY was a big highlight last year. I was hoping this was more of the same.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    KING Guillaume Roussel

Roussel's BLACK BEAUTY was a big highlight last year. I was hoping this was more of the same.

Can't compare yet, but I'll add it to my list on Spotify
  8. Been listening to some recent Giacchino superhero efforts. I don’t have much time for the films, but he does some lovely work. Whether it’s that underused melody for Batman, the Catwoman theme, the heroic end credits of his Spider-Man films (love the horn triplets), or his eclectic Doctor Strange material, he really is one of the few composers of our time that is trying to reach back to the film music of his youth and trying to find his version of it.
    Usually these days a couple of themes from a soundtrack will suffice for me. It’s rare I go the whole way.

NP: Arachnoverture (Michael Giacchino)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2022
    franz_conrad wrote
    Been listening to some recent Giacchino superhero efforts.

Sorry to hear it.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. He took one for the team.
  10. Nice to see you guys too. I'll keep my thoughts to myself. wave
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  11. Please don't!
  12. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Been listening to some recent Giacchino superhero efforts.

Sorry to hear it.

And you wonder why few people post anymore! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Meh. We need more disagreements over film music to get the temperature going again. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  13. A Violent Man (Wintory)

Austin Wintory, I don't get his music. It doesn't connect to me. Apart from his wonderful Journey, there isn't a single score that connected to me after that. And I've heard a few of him (game and movie). And this one was boring as hell

But I know many people love hearing his work
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm the same, Thomas. Never connected to his work either.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Wintory Schwintory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2022 edited
    Thor wrote
    Meh. We need more disagreements over film music to get the temperature going again. smile

Yes, but first draw them in with some friendly banter. Then... BAM!!
  15. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    A Violent Man (Wintory)

Austin Wintory, I don't get his music. It doesn't connect to me. Apart from his wonderful Journey, there isn't a single score that connected to me after that. And I've heard a few of him (game and movie). And this one was boring as hell

But I know many people love hearing his work

Did you ever listen to The Pathless? I felt similarly about him in the past (could tell he was a good composer but it wasn't clicking for me, not even Journey) but I really really enjoyed The Pathless and it has given me a retroactive appreciation for his other scores too.