• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Meh. We need more disagreements over film music to get the temperature going again. smile

Yes, but first draw them in with some friendly banter. Then... BAM!!

BWAAAM, you mean? smile
  2. Nice to see you again Alan.
    Thor, your qualities have become firmer with time. wink

NP: My Brilliant Friend (max richter)

Nothing adventurous from Richter but certainly pleasant to listen to. (Tremendous series.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. I haven't looked at this Richter too carefully but doesn't his scores (or at least the albums) sometimes feature previously-written compositions?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2022
    MY BRILLIANT FRIEND is ok-ish, but fairly middle-of-the-road in the Richter canon. I don't believe the OST has any of his previous compositions.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2022
    NP: THUNDER ROAD - THE FILM MUSIC OF... (Jack Marshall)

Got this awhile back due to the fact that John Williams plays piano on it (otherwise, it wouldn't have been on my radar at all), but never had the chance to play it untill now. The sound leaves something to be desired, but I'm sure LLL has done their best in cleaning it up. Marshall's guitar playing obviously receives center-stage. Of particular notice is the bizarre incorporation of the revered Norwegian Christmas song "Musevisa" ("The Mouse Song") from the 40s, made famous by the iconic Alf Prøysen.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. The lyrics is by Prøysen, set to a traditional tune.
  5. Regarding Max Richter, my favourite work is still Vivaldi Recomposed.
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    A Violent Man (Wintory)

Austin Wintory, I don't get his music. It doesn't connect to me. Apart from his wonderful Journey, there isn't a single score that connected to me after that. And I've heard a few of him (game and movie). And this one was boring as hell

But I know many people love hearing his work

Did you ever listen to The Pathless? I felt similarly about him in the past (could tell he was a good composer but it wasn't clicking for me, not even Journey) but I really really enjoyed The Pathless and it has given me a retroactive appreciation for his other scores too.

I did, I heard all of these scores by him. Apart from a track of Journey, not one single moment was chosen. So that says a lot. He's definitely not a bad composer, but I just don't feel it

2012 Journey (VG)
    2014 The Banner Saga (VG)
    2016 Abzu (VG)
    2016 The Banner Saga 2 (VG)
    2017 Absolver (VG)
    2017 The Rendezvous (VG)
    2017 Tooth and Tail (VG)
    2018 Command & Conquer: Rivals (VG)
    2018 The Banner Saga 3 (VG)
    2019 The Bradwell Conspiracy (VG)
    2019 Erica (VG)
    2019 John Wick Hex (VG)
    2020 Agosa: A Game of Space (VG)
    2020 Big Dogs
    2020 The Pathless (VG)
    2020 Tread
    2021 One Shot
    2022 A Violent Man
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. THE DEER KING (Harumi Fuuki)

Very nice, one of the surprises of the new year; Or was it last year (since it seemed to have aired in 2021). Anyway, heard it now, it's a nice surprise from the poor selection I've heard so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2022
    Jurassic Shark wrote
    The lyrics is by Prøysen, set to a traditional tune.

Indeed. I had to google it after I heard the score, and was very surprised to learn it was a traditional. I had always assumed it was an original Prøysen composition. All these years! It's still bloody bizarre to hear it in a 1958 Robert Mitchum movie about booze smuggling!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. The Batman (Michael Gacchino)

Overtly long of course, but the impressive "Sonata in Darkness" and my killer combo "Escaped Crusader - The Batman" is all I need. Have to say, those 4 notes do pack a punch when he goes for an all out kill. Goes to show what you can do with again just a couple of notes. It's no Jaws of course, but it gets the job done.
  9. I don't mind that score. In smaller doses. The suites at the end do me fine. smile

The Crown (Martin Phipps) - Seasons 3 and 4

This I don't mind also, but in longer doses.
  10. I like Phipps' music to the first season of Victoria, but his music to The Crown just doesn't stand out as much to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2022
    VICTORIA and THE VIRGIN QUEEN are fine, but Phipps' best remains BRIGHTON ROCK, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Jurassic Shark wrote
    I like Phipps' music to the first season of Victoria, but his music to The Crown just doesn't stand out as much to me.

Sorry to hear it. Try going to back a time when you'd never heard any Phipps, and hear this first. It works. wink

NP: Nana - Remy van Kesteren

No idea where this is from. An apple music playlist called 'Background Music'. Beautiful mix of violin solo and harp in this track. Those melismas phrases... lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2022
    NP: CHAMPIONS (Carl Davis)

85-year-old Davis is still active as a composer, as far as I know, although he's slowed down in later years. While most people are only familiar with his silent film scores, he did many other good things. Like this horse movie from 1983 -- completely unashamed orchestral romance.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2022 edited
    My personal highlight in regards to Martin Phipps is the BBC Mini Series "North & South", though I never could get my hands on a physical album, to my eternal dismay. If you're interested, check out the track "I've seen hell" on youtube.

"I wish I could tell you how lonely I am. How cold and harsh it is here. Everywhere there is conflict and unkindness. I think God has forsaken this place. I believe I have seen hell, and it's white. It's snow-white."
  12. Ted K (Blanck Mass)

Decent, somewhat hypnotizing ("Blue Tunnel" immediately picks up your interest) but nothing I'll return to. However I think this will be right up the ally of Thor.

And I don't understand what all these "constructed group" names are doing lately in filmmusic. You see them popping up more and more nowadays (Dead People for Black Crab, now this?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2022
    Thanks for the tip, Thomas. I'll check it out.

As for BLACK CRAB, that had an interesting premise, but faltered somewhat eventually. I can't remember much of the score, to be honest.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2022
    A variety of Journey to the Line inpsired scores, of which Harry Escott' Shame is probably the best.
  13. Joep wrote
    A variety of Journey to the Line inpsired scores, of which Harry Escott' Shame is probably the best.

Indeed, not bad. How it avoided a court case, I'd love to know.
  14. Sorry I've been away so long! I'm hoping to be back contributing again!

NP: Cinematic Sound Radio

I haven't been listening to much new recently. Revisiting some classics and enjoying that (like The Mission yesterday) and really savoring them again which has been nice.
  15. Pam & Tommy (Matthew Margeson)

The most memorable thing I remember of it, the connecting / dialing sound the old internet routers had as sound. It's used near the end of the score in countless tracks. And that isn't necessarily a good thing that this is the thing I remember of it
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2022 edited
    NP: THE THIEF, HIS WIFE AND THE CANOE (Harry Escott & Ben Pearson)

Harry Escott came to my attention with SHAME (like with most other people), despite the obvious THIN RED LINE influences. Despite the title, do not expect a Michael Nyman soundalike here. Instead, it's warping fairly familiar idioms (certain tracks are like Nicola Piovani as heard through a grinder), but it's all fairly listenable. I'm on my second listen now; it's fairly close to getting a spot in my iTunes collection, but not quite there yet. Album is out April 22nd.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2022
    NP: THE BOY WHO COULD FLY (Bruce Broughton)

I never got the earlier release of this, but I got this recent release which also includes several tracks from his other scores (so it's more like a compilation, really). Many of the "extra tracks", I've already got on the OSTs, but it's still a bloody good album that showcases Broughton's abilities.
    I am extremely serious.
  16. The Elden Ring (by a couple of composers)

Wow, for one of the greatest and biggest games of the year, this score is SO DULL. Halfway through the ordeal, and man what a boring score, barely anything is happening. Can't believe the gamer has to go through this kind of ... nothingness
  17. NP: The Sister's Brothers (Desplat)

Snazzy theme all right. (Wish there was more of it.) I need to see this film.
    This piece finds its way into temp tracks often. (e.g. one of mine - from a film course I taught in a high school last year: https://vimeo.com/606878368/f33243f565 )
  18. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Elden Ring (by a couple of composers)

Wow, for one of the greatest and biggest games of the year, this score is SO DULL. Halfway through the ordeal, and man what a boring score, barely anything is happening. Can't believe the gamer has to go through this kind of ... nothingness

Well, they saved up all the bigger tracks for the second part. But by then I already lost my interest. Anyway, I've heard these long game scores enough by now. If they could have sampled 1/5th together, it might have worked. Now it all tends to sound the same
  19. NP: Order of the Phoenix (Nicholas Hooper)

I think on balance, Hooper did great work. He got a lot of flack for not being John Williams or Patrick Doyle at the time, but quite undeservedly. The music is very clear dramaturgically, beautifully lyrical, and while yes - Azkaban is one of the great scores - this is more than on point. Some nice material in the following film too.
  20. There is some nice material and good ideas in that score, but ultimately it sorely lacks depth. The action material is a particular sticking point for me, it's just not good enough. It also is a weirdly lackadaisical score, with its ideas barely ever recurring more than two or three times.

Its successor is more cohesive but at the cost of being much more boring and drab. It feels like a dry run for the Desplat scores but without Desplat's precise orchestrations.

Both scores have merit, but ultimately fall very short of expectations for a series of that scale. The feeling of "thinness" is omnipresent throughout both of them. The flack is overly harsh at points but not undeserved IMO. Although I'd point fingers at the director before the composer in this case, as Hooper has written far more full-blooded music elsewhere.