• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2022
    NP: ARMY OF THIEVES (Hans Zimmer & Steve Mazarro)

Needs some whittling to work as a listening experence, but undoubtedly one of the most fun scores of last year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2022 edited
    NP: MEET JOE BLACK (Thomas Newman)

Obviously, I had seen the film when it came out, but I actually didn't acquire the soundtrack until two years ago or so. It was about time, because this is about as classic Newman as it gets. Top 10.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Aliens: Fireteam Elite (Austin Wintory)

No, I wasn't expecting James Horner music, but I was expecting something more ... fitting. Play this at random and let people guess, the last thing anyone would guess is Aliens music. The few nods here and there to Horner's music is not worth it.

Sorry, I hardly get Wintory's praise. I just rarely connect to his music
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2022
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Aliens: Fireteam Elite (Austin Wintory)

No, I wasn't expecting James Horner music, but I was expecting something more ... fitting. Play this at random and let people guess, the last thing anyone would guess is Aliens music. The few nods here and there to Horner's music is not worth it.

Sorry, I hardly get Wintory's praise. I just rarely connect to his music

Same here. Don't get it. I haven't listened to ALIENS: FIRETEAM ELITE, but as an Alien nuthead, I've watched some of the gameplay on YouTube. Not terribly good game either. Just remember some occasional nods to the "Alien sound" here and there.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Les Combattantes (Francois Lietout)

I liked this, warm patriotic music at times. Wished it grew even stronger in several cues
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2022
    Bruno Coulais - De L'Amour

La Cabine remains the highlight of his career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2022 edited
    Just played: THE FABELMANS - John Williams

This chamber piece from Williams is as elegant as you’d expect, but also restrained and light in emotions. It’s charming for sure, but if this will indeed turn out to be his final score for Spielberg, he went out with a whisper instead of a bang. Which is not necessarily a bad thing - I just hoped this final score would’ve had a bit more emotional substance, especially given the personal subject matter of the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2022
    BobdH wrote
    Just played: THE FABELMANS - John Williams

This chamber piece from Williams is as elegant as you’d expect, but also restrained and light in emotions. It’s charming for sure, but if this will indeed turn out to be his final score for Spielberg, he went out with a whisper instead of a bang. Which is not necessarily a bad thing - I just hoped this final score would’ve had a bit more emotional substance, especially given the personal subject matter of the film.

It's a lovely score, and I was surprised by the high quality of it. Very much my kind of style these days, and unlike -- say -- THE BOOK THIEF, which noodled a bit too much all over the place for my taste, this is firmly cemented in melody and structure. This easily vies for a top 3 position among his post-2005 work, as far as I'm concerned. Whether I put it ahead of the other two, WAR HORSE and THE POST, I don't know yet. Requires a few more listens.
    I am extremely serious.