• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2022
    NP: ARMY OF THIEVES (Hans Zimmer & Steve Mazarro)

Needs some whittling to work as a listening experence, but undoubtedly one of the most fun scores of last year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2022 edited
    NP: MEET JOE BLACK (Thomas Newman)

Obviously, I had seen the film when it came out, but I actually didn't acquire the soundtrack until two years ago or so. It was about time, because this is about as classic Newman as it gets. Top 10.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Aliens: Fireteam Elite (Austin Wintory)

No, I wasn't expecting James Horner music, but I was expecting something more ... fitting. Play this at random and let people guess, the last thing anyone would guess is Aliens music. The few nods here and there to Horner's music is not worth it.

Sorry, I hardly get Wintory's praise. I just rarely connect to his music
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2022
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Aliens: Fireteam Elite (Austin Wintory)

No, I wasn't expecting James Horner music, but I was expecting something more ... fitting. Play this at random and let people guess, the last thing anyone would guess is Aliens music. The few nods here and there to Horner's music is not worth it.

Sorry, I hardly get Wintory's praise. I just rarely connect to his music

Same here. Don't get it. I haven't listened to ALIENS: FIRETEAM ELITE, but as an Alien nuthead, I've watched some of the gameplay on YouTube. Not terribly good game either. Just remember some occasional nods to the "Alien sound" here and there.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Les Combattantes (Francois Lietout)

I liked this, warm patriotic music at times. Wished it grew even stronger in several cues
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2022
    Bruno Coulais - De L'Amour

La Cabine remains the highlight of his career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2022 edited
    Just played: THE FABELMANS - John Williams

This chamber piece from Williams is as elegant as you’d expect, but also restrained and light in emotions. It’s charming for sure, but if this will indeed turn out to be his final score for Spielberg, he went out with a whisper instead of a bang. Which is not necessarily a bad thing - I just hoped this final score would’ve had a bit more emotional substance, especially given the personal subject matter of the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2022
    BobdH wrote
    Just played: THE FABELMANS - John Williams

This chamber piece from Williams is as elegant as you’d expect, but also restrained and light in emotions. It’s charming for sure, but if this will indeed turn out to be his final score for Spielberg, he went out with a whisper instead of a bang. Which is not necessarily a bad thing - I just hoped this final score would’ve had a bit more emotional substance, especially given the personal subject matter of the film.

It's a lovely score, and I was surprised by the high quality of it. Very much my kind of style these days, and unlike -- say -- THE BOOK THIEF, which noodled a bit too much all over the place for my taste, this is firmly cemented in melody and structure. This easily vies for a top 3 position among his post-2005 work, as far as I'm concerned. Whether I put it ahead of the other two, WAR HORSE and THE POST, I don't know yet. Requires a few more listens.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Strange Worlds (Henry Jackman)

Though having a serious Predator temptrack, this was fun. Sometimes old school excitement. Again, a sign these composers are getting pushed to do mediocre stuff on their action films, BUT if they get more freedom the likes of Balfe and Jackman can really deliver

Some moments that will go on my best of list for sure
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2022 edited
    Rob Dougan - Furious Angels

Vocal and instrumental versions are scattered over 2 CD's. The instrumental second CD is still wonderful as it is, even though an instrumental from the first disc is missing, not providing a fully satisfying experience. I really like everything he has done, preceeding this release, and minus the vocals, which are terrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2022 edited
    NP: AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER - Simon Franglen

It kind of reminds me of listening to The Matrix 4 last year: the DNA of the original score is there, there are flourishes that nod to Horner’s style, but it doesn’t enrichen the sonic world of Avatar. I know there are some new themes but they don’t really jump out, and after a first listen, there are no tracks that I feel particularly drawn to to revisit (even though there are some nice moments, especially in the more quiet parts, and I liked the final few tracks - I don’t particularly care for the action).

Having said that, I understand it’s a massive undertaking for someone as (relatively) inexperienced as Franglen to take over from his mentor and score the biggest blockbuster of the year, and I do think he acquitted himself well, in that he does deliver a score that is probably functional within the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nice to hear from you, Bob! Yeah, that's my basic takeaway from the AVATAR 2 score as well. My impression of the music from watching the (excellent) film pretty much held up when I listened to the album yesterday. I like the cues that have the DNA of Horner (whether direct quotes of themes or motifs, or the instrumentation), but absolutely abhor the action/military/war music that sounds like second rate trailer music (wall of sound, anonymous ostinati, chord progressions without a core etc.). It's a film that SCREAMED for James Newton Howard, but alas he was stuck with the less-than-stellar music for another "Horner project" instead -- the abysmal WILLOW TV series.

I've tried Franglen many times over the years, but he has failed to impress me so far. He was close with Terrence Malick's VOYAGE OF TIME, but that's about it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thanks. I don’t listen to music much lately, but when I do, I do tend to visit on here smile. (And I read the JWFan forum to stay up to date with what’s happening in terms of new releases).

Yeah, agree completely on your assessment of the action music. And I can’t wait to see the film! I’m gonna have to see it in 2D, regular frame rate, but I’m expecting at least a solid spectacle and an “event movie”.

I didn’t know Franglen did Voyage of Time! I thought the movie was mainly scored by classical pieces, although all in all it was mostly scored quietly, going for a certain stillness. I’m getting a MUBI account this weekend and plan to watch the shorter IMAX version soon, so I will pay attention to it (only saw the 90-min Cate Blanchett narrated one a couple years ago).
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2023
    So far today:
    - Luca by Dan Romer

A nice little animation score. Not sure if I like it more than his score for Beasts the Southern Wild but it's still pretty good.

- Claret by Oscar Leanizbarrutia

A heavy emotionally dramatic score and the first cue 'Tema Principal' is a standout.

- Iron Man 3 by Brian Tyler

Best Iron Man score by far. Can we get Tyler to retroscore the first two films?

How'd I do?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2023 edited
    KevinSmith wrote
    So far today:
    - Luca by Dan Romer

A nice little animation score. Not sure if I like it more than his score for Beasts the Southern Wild but it's still pretty good.

- Claret by Oscar Leanizbarrutia

A heavy emotionally dramatic score and the first cue 'Tema Principal' is a standout.

- Iron Man 3 by Brian Tyler

Best Iron Man score by far. Can we get Tyler to retroscore the first two films?

How'd I do?

CLARET is one of my top 10 scores of 2021. Great Delerue vibe. LUCA was OK. IRON MAN 3, I can't remember anything of. Don't care about Marvel and their scores.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2023
    NP: POSTMEN IN THE MOUNTAINS (Wang Xiaofeng)

Stunningly gorgeous score for this Chinese 1999 classic that finally got a soundtrack release some 5-6 years ago. It's like an extensive take on the the calm parts of BEYOND RANGOON.

And on to:

NP: HOTEL (Johnny Keating)

I'm just a sucker for this kind of suave 60s jazz lounge. Never seen the film, but this was a nice discovery some 10 years ago or so.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2023
    Paul M. van Brugge - Valentín

Overall, not the best of his works, but the end titles are incredible. To me, this score is one of heartfelt and nostalghia.
  4. Dead Space (Trevor Gureckis) Remake of 2023

I actually quite like this, even though it's a atmospheric dark score. But the atmosphere is sometimes spot on Aliens, and the horror moments are actually quite exciting. I know the game of course, which helps. But I really liked it, more than I thought I would
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2023
    King Arthur - Hans Zimmer

One of his best of the 2000s.

The New World - James Horner

One of his best of the 2000s.

Aliens Fireteam Elite - Austin Wintory

Disappointing, the album felt like we were waiting around for something to happen and when the score did pick up, it wasn't enough to make up for all the waiting around.

Tuskegee Airmen - Lee Holdridge

Pleasant if not a bit generic by Holdridge standards. Call of the Wild/Into Thin Air are stronger scores from the same time period.

The Legend and Butterfly - Naoki Sato

Typically lush/romantic for Sato but the album is a bit long and anonymous. The 2nd half of the album is much better than the first half.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2023
    NP: KOCHADAIIYAAN (A.R. Rahman)

2014 film that finally got its soundtrack release this year. It's quite good, although some of the music is clearly augmented with sampled instruments, and I could be without some of the RC-like ostinatos here and there. But when things are toned down a bit, I dig it. Not the orchestral masterpiece like ENTHIRAN, and I generally veer more towards Rahman's non-orchestral work, but yeah - good stuff.

(Also a bit funny that Rahman is such a big star that he's equal in size to the film's protagonist on the soundtrack cover itself).
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Carnival Row: Season 2 (Nathan Barr)

One of the better television scores I've heard this year so far. Of course it aint a LOTR one, but it's intriguing, sometimes poignant and sometimes very lovely
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2023
    Shigeru Kishida - Call Me Chihiro

Ah, Japanese and solo pianos.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuqOwCt … p;index=11
  6. I contributed to the Intrada Kickstarter initiative to record Herrmann's scores for The Man Who Knew Too Much and On Dangerous Ground.

And this meant that I got some advance audio files to listen to. They sound awesome!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2023
    NP: Star Trek: Picard - Season 3 - Stephen Barton and Frederik Wiseman

One of the best Star Trek score. Thematic, melodic, propulsive, action oriented score. So much to like.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2023
    Roy Budd music, and especially several invidual cues that defined the 70's sound;

Jazz It Up (MC/M4) - (The Marseille Contract, 1974)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKTh79zKFKU

The Car Chase - Fear Is The Key (1972)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBCS7WO … mp;index=2
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2023 edited
    Great music (the best of them being GET CARTER), but the sound effects still annoy me in "The Car Chase", though.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2023
    Yes, and yes. It puzzles me how the only relevant cue of the entire score was not preserved without it, and I somehow question if they even bothered at all?
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2023
    In other news, just reposting one of the things I still like very much like:

Bob Zimmerman & Nando Eweg - Süskind

Listen to Summer 1945 (featuring Janine Jansen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wug9k9Iumg4
  7. I've been playing Dial of Destiny on repeat - one of my favorites of the year so far! It's classic and a bit nostalgic, but also fresh and fun. Might be my favorite Indy score now, but Crusade is also high up there. I've gotten kind of tired of the Raiders March over the years, so I love that this new score doesn't overuse it. Beautiful new themes too! I haven't seen the film yet, so no spoilers please!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2023
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I've been playing Dial of Destiny on repeat - one of my favorites of the year so far! It's classic and a bit nostalgic, but also fresh and fun. Might be my favorite Indy score now, but Crusade is also high up there. I've gotten kind of tired of the Raiders March over the years, so I love that this new score doesn't overuse it. Beautiful new themes too! I haven't seen the film yet, so no spoilers please!

Although I wasn't blown away, it certainly has a couple of highlights. But I'm pissed right now that the CD has apparently sold out before it was even released. That's another item added to my forever-want-list due to the inevitable, insane prices on the secondary market.
    I am extremely serious.