• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Crimson Tide is an excellent album.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2021
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The EMI General Music GDM 2022 CD release from 2000 is much more modest than the French 1983 LP General Music 803051 release! I wonder what was the photo that was in the LP fold-out cover?

I have the "Image Music" release. So many different versions of Morricone soundtracks that it's hard to keep up.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Crimson Tide

Part of my mid-90s action series after reacquiring The Rock on physical media.

Watching the film was a forming experience for me in my cinematic taste (I miss Tony Scott and this is one of his most intelligent films on this side of True Romance and Spy Game), but the score is one of Hans' masterpieces, especially as heard in film. I get that the album programming is very controversial, though my only beef is in the material selection (how long I wanted to listen to a part of the main title cue...) rather than track length. It does work in a somewhat prog-rock concept album kind of way. Though some of the choices for these cues leave some room for complaints.

All in all, fantastic score, not just the thematic writing. It has a unique, claustrophobic atmosphere and some of Hans' very best brass writing (these French horns!).

It's an absolute cornerstone for me too. Scores like CRIMSON TIDE and THE ROCK are so much part of my film music DNA; my backbone, so to speak, that I don't know what to say about them anymore.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Perhaps one point of discussion is something that has always astonished me about this score:

It is a genre-changing score in the film. What would be a somewhat intelligent action thriller turns into a bona fide psychological thriller, because it emotionally gets right in between Hunter and Ramsey.

The score was for me a relatively late discovery when it comes to listening to it. It was just that hard to find for a while.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I see it more as the culmination of the power anthem style that was first heard briefly in BLACK RAIN. THE ROCK eventually became the more popular of the two, but CRIMSON TIDE seems like the embodiment; its zenith. So much testosterone (the male chorus signalling the cameraderie), the prog rock chord changes, the propulsive energy - that it suddenly becomes surprisingly poetic. It also became the benchmark for the middle part of the opening theme for my webcast Celluloid Tunes (composed by Eirik Myhr): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7gOW16 … uloidTunes
    I am extremely serious.
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Crimson Tide is an excellent album.

I got confused between this and The Rock! dizzy

I don't like Crimson Tide much at all! I hate the long tracks and have to crop both of them to get a couple of minutes of decent thematic material. (Sorry!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2021 edited
    Ouch! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    I see it more as the culmination of the power anthem style that was first heard briefly in BLACK RAIN. THE ROCK eventually became the more popular of the two, but CRIMSON TIDE seems like the embodiment; its zenith. So much testosterone (the male chorus signalling the cameraderie), the prog rock chord changes, the propulsive energy - that it suddenly becomes surprisingly poetic. It also became the benchmark for the middle part of the opening theme for my webcast Celluloid Tunes (composed by Eirik Myhr): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7gOW16 … uloidTunes

I beg to differ about the culmination and I have Hans on my side here: the real culmination was The Peacemaker (at least one anthem is actually missing on the original album and the hlghlight cue of that style when Clooney gets on the helicopter is missing). Hans is on record saying that rejected ideas from Crimson Tide are repurposed for that one, it's a bigger orchestra and some of Hans' best structural writing (in that regard it would be rivaled only by Pirates of the Caribbean 3, Wonder Woman '84 and the second Amazing Spider-Man) ever. Also, with the notable exception of Mission: Impossible 2, that'd be his last pure action film ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, I'm afraid we disagree there.

THE ROCK became a phenomenon. It basically spawned a whole new generation of film score fans the way STAR WARS had done decades earlier. I know, because I was right there as it happened and witnessed my friends (who are not interested in film music) get drawn in. Or saw endless new, young teenage fans starting posting about it on messageboards. It was the popular culmination. I think CRIMSON TIDE was the artistic culmination of it all.

THE PEACEMAKER is a fine score, I totally agree, but it's basically a parenthesis in the scheme of things. Power anthem style, for sure, but too loud and theme-less and overwrought to make much of an impact. For me, it was the first example of that particular style finally losing its steam - with its last hoorah being the PIRATES movies.

You and Hans Zimmer are free to disagree, of course, or to consider it underrated. But that's how I perceive the history of it.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Well, you're quite factually wrong about the themes:

The Peacemaker is not theme-less by any means and actually this is where the original album is downright weird in its programming, because most of the recurring motifs are actually gone or stated only once. Case in point: the Sarajevo theme which gets a lot of air and only two (one very, one less dramatic and that's the ideas suite Hans always does) performances on the album.

One recurring theme is actually missing on the original album and it's a pure power anthem. It gets three performances in the film, none of them is on album. What we have on album is three action themes (one defining the final act of the film), the sad dramatic theme (getting probably the most workout on the original album), a single performance of a bomb motif (which led me to dub it Zimmer's Black Sunday), a suspense motif which can be heard twice in the film. All in all, all the recurrences of more melodic motifs are downright missing.

That's why the complete score is such a revelation. The album is hard-pounding action and not much sense to it. The whole shebang is actually quite nuanced and developed throughout the picture. But what can you do if Sarajevo is all over the place in the film, including the actual finale of the film appearing somewhere in the middle of the track? Conversely, the action cues are in the film sequence, even though Chase actually consists of *two* setpieces with the beginning of the end credits thrown in for good measure.

The original album is quite frustrating. I know Jeff Rona was proud of the program he made, but he did get the score wrong in the process.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I know it's not ACTUALLY theme-less. It's more of a rhetorical point, i.e. not as striking or defined as its stylistic predecessors. Or focussed. But I might go against my principles and check out the expanded version one of these days, just to hear these themes that you're talking about more clearly. I won't budge on my evaluation of it in a historical sense, but I'm keen to like it more than I do - which is "just fine" at the moment.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. It's one of the two or three complete scores which made me reassess a score, I have to say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, you’ve sold it in well! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  7. NP: Crimson Tide - Hans Zimmer

I thought that I would give this album a spin again - my first complete play since the first time I played it when it came out - just to remind myself of what the album actually contained and to see if my memory of it may have been too harsh.

But no. This is still a Zimmer score that I just don't like much. Certainly as an album. Its long tracks just meander around not really going anywhere, quoting several musical ideas again and again in various combinations. It sounds very synthy a lot of the time and the sound gets a bit grating sometimes to enjoy.

I appreciate that this score seems to be an important one for the development of film music but I can't really understand how it has acquired that status.

I doubt that I will listen to the album a third time.
  8. NP: You Only Live Twice - John Barry

Probably my favourite Bond score, I really warm to the Barry/Bond style mixed with ethnic Japanese influences. And the song is definitely up there in my Top 5 Bond theme songs - it may even be my favourite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2021
    NP: THE LIFE BEFORE HER EYES (James Horner)

I've always considered this one of Horner's most underrated scores, from his most underrated decade (the 2000s). Slow, floating, textural, gorgeous.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Crimson Tide - Hans Zimmer

I thought that I would give this album a spin again - my first complete play since the first time I played it when it came out - just to remind myself of what the album actually contained and to see if my memory of it may have been too harsh.

But no. This is still a Zimmer score that I just don't like much. Certainly as an album. Its long tracks just meander around not really going anywhere, quoting several musical ideas again and again in various combinations. It sounds very synthy a lot of the time and the sound gets a bit grating sometimes to enjoy.

I appreciate that this score seems to be an important one for the development of film music but I can't really understand how it has acquired that status.

I doubt that I will listen to the album a third time.

It's a complex one, because this is one of the less crowd-pleasing scores of the whole lot (I'd argue The Rock and Broken Arrow are the most fun in that series, Crimson Tide being the most atmospheric and Peacemaker the heaviest and most dissonant, if, conversely, most traditionally structured and dramatic).

In a way, I think that Crimson Tide's biggest virtues, except the thematic material, which still rivals Hans' best stuff (Roll Tide is the track to keep for any future reference, especially when it comes to choral writing) are in the way it works in the film. Also there's some notable missing material, like the boxing training cue, featuring a very propulsive version of the Denzel Washington theme, the first part of the long cue where Hackman is relieved of duty (the second half of the cue, the Das Boot-like sinking-until-they're-not sequence is left intact and it's one of the most unpleasant moments of the score), with its militaristic and confident, yet sad and somewhat finite scoring featuring a beautiful melody (beautiful in terms of the style of the score). There's also the main title, but I'm the crazy guy who wanted that one and nobody ever discussed it anyway.

All-in-all except its very high functionality in the film and the thematic material, what I love on the album is that it retains the unique atmosphere of the film in its sound (on the Zimmer side of things, it's still the best electronic/orchestral hybrid score and the golden standard in integrating these elements). Its an oppressive and claustrophobic atmosphere, very fitting for a submarine. I think Crimson Tide's popularity and historical significance doesn't stem from the fact that its a highlight-ridden album, but from the fact that this particular style of film scoring was shown to be very highly effective as film music.

The album is not without its problems, the long tracks can be divisive, but there is also a significant mixing difference between Alabama and 1SQ (particularly noticeable with how the drum samples become much louder in the latter cue) and I think there has to be more to that than the mere fact that there is quite a bit of Nick Glennie-Smith in that cue. That said: 1SQ is a single long piece as featured in the film. I'd have to see (and get back to you guys about it) if there are any significant cuts. Alabama, not unlike Sarajevo in The Peacemaker, is all over the place (starting right before Hackman retakes the boat, going back to early "sightings" or rather hearings of the Russian submarine, then back to Hackman retaking Alabama...).
  10. James Horner - Southpaw

One of his final scores, which I think could be to Thor's liking in terms of being very atmospheric with some people even noticing Reznor/Ross influences. I don't know Reznor/Ross well enough to positively discuss it, but there is something very compelling. The film itself is half-Raging Bull, half-Rocky and does quite well at portraying the character's downfall, though never being fully committed to do so. Though it's nice to have a movie where the protagonist's teenage daughter chews him out for his irresponsible behavior.

Horner, who got on the project on pure passion (and reportedly took a dollar to do it, ousting the previously-hired Harry Gregson-Williams in the process), also seems more interested in the character's downfall than his later return. It makes quite a bit of sense, while it's a well-made film, Gyllenhaal's commitment seriously shows in the first half when "fall from grace" doesn't really cut what happens to his character. Therefore Horner comes in with a work that rivals the darkness of even House of Sand and Fog, let alone (indeed underrated) The Life Before Her Eyes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2021
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Horner - Southpaw

One of his final scores, which I think could be to Thor's liking in terms of being very atmospheric with some people even noticing Reznor/Ross influences.

You'd think so, but alas it didn't do much for me. That goes for pretty much everything he did in the 2010s. The only ones I decided to keep in my collection from this period are ROMEO & JULIET (rejected), WOLF TOTEM and LIVING IN THE AGE OF AIRPLANES. This opposed to the 2000s, where there's a host of great things. But by all means -- I intend to re-explore and re-assess the 2010s output again at some point, including SOUTHPAW.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2021 edited
    NP: Flinch (2021) - Miami Nights 1984

Most of the reviews I have seen for this movie talk well of this 80s synth score. And it has a nice sound to it away from the movie too. More a reflective vibe of a score rather than drum kit action type of scoring.
  11. James Newton Howard - Dinosaur

Great score, one of his very best and very mature for a "kiddie" film, which this Disney production was. Some of the music is downright serious and scary in a very dissonant and even abrasive way. That actually very much adds to why I love it!
  12. I agree completely Pawel! One of his best ever!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Flinch (2021) - Miami Nights 1984

Most of the reviews I have seen for this movie talk well of this 80s synth score. And it has a nice sound to it away from the movie too. More a reflective vibe of a score rather than drum kit action type of scoring.

I remember you recommended this to me awhile back, on Facebook. The track you shared was great, but the rest didn't do that much for me when I got around to it. But at the same time as your recommendation, one of the CT contributors also alerted me to it, and even wrote a review: http://celluloidtunes.no/flinch-miami-nights-1984/

I dig a lot of what MN1984 has done outside film, and hoping for future scores to reflect more of that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2021
    NP: THE FIRST GRADER (Alex Heffes)

This 2010 effort remains my favourite Heffes score to this day. I'm always a sucker for indigenous African music (in this case Kenyan and East African tropes) merging with western styles.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DROP ZONE (Hans Zimmer)

So I went to my digital collection to relisten to the OST after the announcement of the expanded version, only to find it wasn't there anymore. Must have deleted it years ago. So I went to Spotify, and quickly understood WHY I had deleted it. A bunch of swishes, swooshes, bangs and whizzes without going anywhere. So I don't really want to reacquire the OST, much less the expanded version.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BALLADES (Frédéric Chopin)

I needed to wind down a bit after the whimsical action excesses of DROP ZONE, but these "ballads" are also fairly busy, so all is relative. Cédric Tiberghien performs, on this 27th CD of Harmonia Mundi's 50th anniversary box.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2021
    NP: TO THE WONDER (Hanan Townshend)

The film was OK. I wasn't as enamoured with it as everyone else. I love THE TREE OF LIFE and I love A HIDDEN LIFE. Not that thrilled with the Malicks inbetween. But I love the score by Townshend. Of course, it's hard to get a grasp of amidst the classical selections in the film, but on CD it shines. Has a kind of shimmering, impressionistic, Debussy-ian quality to it.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. I can't remember now the titles I have heard but Townshend's scores to date hasn't grabbed my attention at all.
  14. Spy Game - Harry Gregson-Williams

One of my favs! I love the choral, the techno, the middle eastern instruments, love it all! It's reminiscent of two of my other most favorites as well, Powell's Bourne Supremacy and JNH's Blood Diamond. Such great work by HGW!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2021
    ^

I'm a big fan of this too!

One of HGW's best blends of electronica and orchestra.