• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. He had to cut Hard Target severely. There were no cuts to Face/Off. And actually Face/Off's final chase was planned for Hard Target originally.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Phillip Klein - The Last Full Measure

Great score, I need to see the film. And there was a lot of discussion regarding Greyhound recently. In the Americana department, I have to say that why Klein wrote the much better score, I do prefer Neely's theme. The rest not so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2020
    NP: GRAND CANYON - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

I'm initiating a binge of early Newton-Howard with this. Fantastic place to start.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: MY GIRL - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

This has never been released... I'm listening to a crude audio rip from the film. But it's gorgeous. It would be amazing if this were done properly. There are echoes of The Man In The Moon, from the same year... delicate woodwind, strings and piano led cues that match his best from the time.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Yang Bang Ean - Pik Lik Foh (Thunderbolt)

A rather unusual title if you speak Dutch. A rather cheesy, unoriginal score.
  3. LSH wrote

This has never been released....

I'm so surprised that this never got a release. With how popular (and emotional) the movie was - I think if it came out today if would have been a sure thing. And I love The Man In The Moon too, so it would have been so nice to hear a true representation of My Girl on an album. Maybe someday!
  4. NP: Horizon Zero Dawn & The Frozen Wilds - Various

I'm relatively late to the party. Started playing like two months ago or so and can't stop. Such a great, deeply disturbing but fantastic SF-story embedded in a Fantasy-like setting. This game has everything, great characters, grand visuals, gripping action, and so many different things to do...

The score is a masterpiece, full of sweeping emotion and perfectly suited to make you care for your character long before the Tutorial is even finished. And when it finishes, you will get goosebumps, I promise. Since then, it's been an amazing journey. The full score of 4 CDs is on Spotify, plus The Frozen Wilds expansion.

If you're into videogame scores, at all, this is a must play.
    If you're into playing videogames, this is a must play, as well.

Formerly a PS4 exclusive, HZD is now available for PC, with a second game, Horizon II: Forbidden West coming out for PS5 next year, and I'll be there.
  5. James Horner - In Country

One of my favorite Horner scores. A very subtle, heartfelt work for a full orchestra and piano. It's the delicate that I love about it so much. And the thematic material.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2020
    Ennio Morricone - Maddalena

I always listen to a presentation that excludes the song and disco versions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2020
    NP: EVEREST - DARIO MARINANELLI

Love this. The melodic ideas are simple... but the textures are superb. It sounds, in places, like this was temp-tracked... probably with Media Ventures / Remote Control or whatever the fuck you call them these days, but Dario has embellished it with something... I don't know... pure. And this makes me happy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2020 edited
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    LSH wrote

This has never been released....

I'm so surprised that this never got a release. With how popular (and emotional) the movie was - I think if it came out today if would have been a sure thing. And I love The Man In The Moon too, so it would have been so nice to hear a true representation of My Girl on an album. Maybe someday!

I'm glad somebody shares my enthusiasm for this score. Hardly gets mentioned. Cheers to you. beer
  6. Harry Gregson-Williams - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Nice post-MV adventure score, somewhat overlooked. Unfairly, I believe, because out of all the Bruckheimer production this seems as close to a more traditional romp as it can get. Nice theme, good use of vocals. While the action is essentially every action cue HGW ever written (The Battle of Kerak/Narnia, etc.), it still somewhat works. Not a masterpiece, but not too bad at all.
  7. Enjoyable score that one. I kinda think of it as Harry's unofficial The Horse and his Boy Narnia score haha
  8. I've been listening to A History of Violence by Howard Shore. It definitely has LOTR familiar flavors, but it's very melodic and relaxing for a cd cover that has a giant pistol in the foreground - I would have expected a more, well, intense, score with that kind of imagery and it's just the opposite. It's perfect for when you're in the mood for LOTR but you don't want the perilous sounds of the Ringwraiths, Sauran, orcs, etc. smile
  9. The intense and violent scenes are, as far as I remember, left unscored in the film. And the film is VERY graphic when the violence outbursts happen.
  10. James Horner - The Wolf Totem

To celebrate his birthday I just listened to what I think is the best score of the final stage of his prematurely ended career.
  11. Yesterday night:

King of Kings (1961) - Miklós Rózsa
    The Tadlow recording with the Prague Philharmonics and Chorus.

The CD arrived this week as I took part in the kickstarter effort. I think the recording is gorgeous and well worth the wait.
    I haven't been around for some time. I hope everyone in well!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  12. Captain Future wrote
    Yesterday night:

The CD arrived this week as I took part in the kickstarter effort. I think the recording is gorgeous and well worth the wait.

Volker

I am looking forward to my copy arriving soon.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2020 edited
    NP: DIE WEISSE MASSAI - NIKI REISER

I’m a sucker for African flavoured scores, and this is one of my favourites. Sounds slightly ‘rawer’ in than the more famous ones. The vocals and soloists shine here, even within the presence of an orchestra. The third cue, Busfahrt Nach Maralel, is just sublime. Such vibrance.
  13. My late friend loved it and, if memory serves me well, even reviewed it. I don't think I ever seriously got to it, will make amends.
  14. I've started listening to James Horner's scores from the beginning. I'm trying to find what I can from everything he scores. Most of these I've already heard, but some have been new to me. For example, I had never heard 48 Hrs before and was surprised (though not really) to heard the steel drum theme from Cocoon there, also on steel drums. I've heard lots of other familiar Horner themes on these earlier scores and realized that many of the themes and motifs that I thought were from a later score were actually in one of his very early scores. Of course I'm familiar with all his thematic recycling. It's just interesting to see how common it was even from the beginning.

One of my biggest pleasant surprises is Testament. I had only heard it once before, and I had liked it well enough, but couldn't remember a thing about it. This time around I was really impressed by just how lovely it is. It doesn't have big moments or jaw-dropping highlights. It's just really intimate and has a lot of thoughtful instrumental solos. It's quite unlike all the early sci-fi and horror music he was writing at the time. I dig it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2020
    Captain Future wrote
    Yesterday night:

Volker

Me neither.

Hope you're doing well.

Been listening to a lot of Desplat recently, unfortunately all on YouTube as I'm having difficulties with weak internet and connecting VPN so I can try and get Spotify back because it's not available in this country.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE VIRGIN SUICIDES (Air)

Lovely stuff, don't know why I waited so long to get it (I got a digital copy a few months back).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TANNA (Antony Partos & Lisa Gerrard)

I was impressed by the score when I saw the film at a festival a few years ago. Broad and poetic, but also dark and disturbing at times.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. NP: The brilliance that is... JAWS.

That is all.

wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2020
    NP: BETWEEN STRANGERS (Zbigniew Preisner)

Hard to go wrong with ol' Zbiggy (although it has happened on a few occasions). Another lovely, atmospheric score from him.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2020 edited
    NP: King of Kings - Miklós Rózsa

Listening to the new Tadlow Music recording and it's good to at last hear this project come to a conclusion. The comments I have read have all been pretty positive and it's great to hear Rózsa's score get the state-of-the-art treatment. And the performance, tempo and feel of the new recording is excellent.

I am beginning to question my headphones because I am not really hearing what other people are hearing, and it probably boils down to my own personal preferences. But, when I listen to the 2-CD release of the OST, I much prefer the sound of the original over this new version (allowing for the obviously inferior recording technology from 1961).

The original sound seems to have more clarity than the new recording: I hear the strings and brass much more defined in the OST but in the new recording the strings, brass and voices seem to be fighting for dominance in the soundscape. With everything going on it just sounds 'muddy' and difficult to differentiate the various parts. Maybe the OST would be classed as 'tinny' - hence the dominance of the strings and brass? - and that could be just down to my own preferences.

But there's also some choices in the balance of the various aspects of the orchestra that I prefer with the OST compared with the new recording. In the "Prelude" there's much more dominance of the chorus and the strings and brass are much further back in the mix. In the OST, the strings and brass dominate with the chorus much further back in the mix - perhaps being too far back in the mix. Maybe how the new recording is mixed is what was initially required but the limited recording technology wasn't able to catch the choral parts well. I don't know.

Having been used to the OST for so many years will probably have affected how I come to this new recording. But it's going to take time to get used to Tadlow's version. I was hoping for the original soundtrack given the modern-day treatment. But they are definitely two separate beasts.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2020
    It's a superb score, and "The Prayer of Our Lord" is one of my alltime favourite psalms (that isn't really a psalm). But this new version is far too long; I'm perfectly content with my old 1961, 43-minute rerecording. As you say, it has a surprising clarity for a recording this old; a pretty good dynamic range.
    I am extremely serious.
  16. Thor wrote
    It's a superb score, and "The Prayer of Our Lord" is one of my alltime favourite psalms (that isn't really a psalm). But this new version is far too long; I'm perfectly content with my old 1961, 43-minute rerecording. As you say, it has a surprising clarity for a recording this old; a pretty good dynamic range.

What version is the 43-minute re-recording?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2020
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

What version is the 43-minute re-recording?

Scroll down to MGM Records 1E2 here: http://soundtrackcollector.com/title/1927/King+Of+Kings
    I am extremely serious.