• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It's fascinating how he grew the Tony Scott collaboration into more and more sparse arrangements. This is pretty much full orchestra and choir. Man on Fire has strings and brass only (there are some French horns in that score), then it's just strings.

I know he gets a lot of flak for the collaboration, but I have to say that Gregson-Williams got to the core of what Tony Scott's later visual style was and stood for.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. James Newton Howard - Unbreakable

Actually wanted to listen to the theme only (the eponymous track, namely), stayed for the rest of the score. I seriously think it's really underrated and not discussed enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2021 edited
    A bit of a different NP post that highlights what I have been listening to for the last couple of hours or so...

I was listening on YouTube to one of my favourite war themes: Elmer Bernstein's THE BRIDGE AT REMAGEN:

https://youtu.be/A8OJd7v31Xk

And then I came across this cover version that I just love watching:

https://youtu.be/zwWDqE424i0

And that reminded me of the - to my ears - an impressive cover of Brad Fiedel's THE TERMINATOR theme:

https://youtu.be/eIRQQjVYQ78

I liked how the guy was able to recreate the sound of the original score. Looking down the side of the YouTube page I noticed that there was a video on "how the TERMINATOR 2 music was made" so I headed over to that. It's a really interesting video on the music was composed and what synths, etc the composer used to create his sounds:

https://youtu.be/nnpYowxlwsU

And then, down the side of that YouTube page was a related video on "how the PREDATOR music was made", so that took up another 20-25 minutes of my time. The reason for going from one TERMINATOR movie to a PREDATOR movie will become clear when you hear the video creator's celebrity impersonation repertiore:

https://youtu.be/Ih6zx1_435U

And then, down the side of that YouTube video was another video - "how the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK music was made". Another favourite score of mine. This one features Alan Howarth talking about the different types of synths that were used and it does take a while to get to the actual score cues but it's certainly worth the wait for those:

https://youtu.be/NBw4OXM6ad4

I really enjoy these type of video where a score is dissected. I don't really understand the music theory discussions but I like seeing and hearing how it all comes together.

And, before I know it, a couple of hours have passed.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he. I recognize that process, Alan. The "rabbit hole" of going to Youtube for something, and you end up watching something completely different. This is kinda related to that "how do choose which music to listen to?" thread you created. Sometimes, it's just about random associations or links.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2021
    NP: AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS (Victor Young)

A delightful, consonant affair from one of the Golden Age's less heralded (but no less interesting) composers - tapping into the various geographical locales through the music. This was one of his last scores.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RADIO (James Horner)

So many unheralded Horner scores from the 2000s, including this from 2003. There's a hint of Americana, but it's both broader and more intimate than that.

(I just realized I used the word 'herald' again....I love that word).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I find that I listen to scores so much less if they have tons of "songs" I have to get through beforehand. So I haven't ever given Radio much of a chance because of that. I know I liked it last time I listened though, just can't remember too much about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2021
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I find that I listen to scores so much less if they have tons of "songs" I have to get through beforehand. So I haven't ever given Radio much of a chance because of that. I know I liked it last time I listened though, just can't remember too much about it.

I don't have the CD, only a digital version. I've removed all the songs, so I'm left with a wonderful 26-minute "suite" of just the score.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Did you keep Horner's song, though?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2021
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Did you keep Horner's song, though?

I did not. But perhaps I should have.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DEN TUNNA BLÅ LINJEN [THE THIN BLUE LINE] (Martin Hederos & Irya Gmeyner)

By FAR my favourite score of 2021 so far, for this Swedish crime show. Melodic, moody electronica all the way through. Can't get enough of it. Hederos is the guy behind The Soundtrack of Our Lives.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote

By FAR my favourite score of 2021 so far, for this Swedish crime show. Melodic, moody electronica all the way through. Can't get enough of it. Hederos is the guy behind The Soundtrack of Our Lives.

I see that this was released on album back in January. Will give it a listen...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm curious to hear what you think. Our taste doesn't always converge, but sometimes it does. I forgot to say I love the use of voices too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: IL LADRONE (Ennio Morricone)

Not so much lyrical this time (well, there is some of that too), but a fairly jaunty comedy score from 1980 with a host of cool instrumentational details. Morricone was such a master arranger as well. Haven't seen the film, but it appears to be a sort of Italian LIFE OF BRIAN, made around the same time.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Filmscoregirl wrote
    I find that I listen to scores so much less if they have tons of "songs" I have to get through beforehand. So I haven't ever given Radio much of a chance because of that. I know I liked it last time I listened though, just can't remember too much about it.

This may be a(nother) terrible habit I have but I usually automatically delete any songs on an album. It's definitely an automatic delete for songs just dropped into a movie that hasn't been written specifically for the film. But I also even tend to skip songs that are written for the movie.

And I was even going to do a list of favourite songs featured in a movie! I do have a selection but they tend to be for specific titles and are mostly from older titles (and any list may be James Bond-heavy).
  7. I'm a give me all songs, or all score kind of soundtrack lover. I hate with they mix it all up, or only feature a suite a the end of a bunch of songs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ISABEL (Federico Jusid)

One of the greatest television scores composed in the 2010s. Just seek it out on Spotify or wherever and listen for yourself! I miss this Jusid; he's been bogged down in things he's not particularly comfortable with, or talented in, these last few years.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote

I've had a chance to listen to some of this album and I do have to say that I don't dislike it. I like the palette of electronica that is used but I am not sure about the prominent use of the vocals (though I love the more 'traditional' sounding vocals in 'Sara's Solitude'.).

The score as a whole works best when it focuses on laying down a more restrained electronic atmosphere rather than when it features more orchestral elements or when it has a more upbeat feel to it. But that really hearkens back to my own personal tastes in how the electronic aspects sounds.

For me, it's a better than a lot of 2021 scores I have heard so far this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2021
    Thanks for the feedback, Alan. Nice to hear that you liked it reasonably well, even though we're not at the same level of enthusiasm. It could have gone considerably worse. smile

Personally, I'm a sucker for that kind of ethereal, warm vocals being used here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2021 edited
    NP: MUSIC FOR THE FILMS OF PETER MULLAN (Craig Armstrong)

It's almost impossible to go wrong with Armstrong, and I was again delighted by this compilation from 2019 - although I could be without the dialogue. The "Orphans" theme is broad Americana in the style of JW. This is laidback - often based on cautious pianos and slowmoving strings - but very sophisticated stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    Thanks for the feedback, Alan. Nice to hear that you liked it reasonably well, even though we're not at the same level of enthusiasm. It could have gone considerably worse. smile

Personally, I'm a sucker for that kind of ethereal, warm vocals being used here.

I do think that they have created an unusual vocal effect that I haven't really heard before and that sort of innovation is something that should be applauded and encouraged. My lukewarm reception to it shouldn't put them off. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ELD & LÅGOR (Nathaniel Mechaly)

Aka SWOON in English. Lovely, old-school orchestral score -- plenty of waltzes! ("Welcome to Gröna Lund" is very Elfman) -- that few have heard (about). Certainly a highlight in 2019. Displays a completely different side of Mechaly than the Europacorp films (the TAKEN movies, COLOMBIANA etc.). Highly recommended.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WILL (Nigel Clarke & Michael Csányi-Wills)

Never seen the film, as sports-related fiction films aren't really my cup of tea, but the score for this 2011 film is marvelous. Big and epic when called for, with impressive choral forces, but also lyrical and magical à la Doyle's "Harry in Winter".
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Hans Zimmer - Drop Zone

I've been listening to the original album where the programming itself may have some issues based on the film I rewatched recently.

It's not a score without its problems, which can be pretty much summarized with a one of the album's track titles: Too Many Notes - Not Enough Rests. It can get quite chaotic and even harsh at times, but when it's good it's really good. That score's selling point is really half minute of material after the two minute track of the track I mentioned, which underscores the only openly heroic moment of the film. Hans Zimmer himself is really fond of the score, especially its guitar solos (he claims it's the best Pete Haycock guitar he had) and of that Too Many Notes theme (he dubbed it the Pirates theme and, indeed, a variation does appear in that score, the original suite for the main theme features it quoted almost verbatim with minimal change).

As opposed to the album, what I can recognize from the film features more breather main-theme based material (main title theme, to be precise). I can't really pinpoint what it's supposed to underscore (mostly features with the villains, until it's present in some Snipes scenes). A particularly nice moment is in the boat scene. There's another instance of the beautiful theme that opens Too Many Notes (itself a very clear theme of the skydiving routines as performed in the film, a nice touch that the event itself has a theme of its own). A notable difference is the Hi Jack cue which features dramatic gospel vocals over the tragic finale of the cue and it was scratched off the official album. There's not much added in terms of action, all the major moments are featured, but the full version of After the Dub (the film's action finale) features a really cool motif (not unlike Bird on a Wire/alternate Black Rain finale) that's cut from the album, while the dissonance that rounds it... is in, and a funny-in-retrospect foreshadowing of a Broken Arrow theme. Why funny in retrospect? In the film this underscores a Mexican standoff, a classic one. Because Hans foreshadowed a motif (which would become one of the main themes there) of a John Woo film in what is pretty much a John Woo trademark.

All in all, I think this score may gain quite a bit in the expansion, while featuring a bit more of the grating action (though really, just about 4-5 minutes at worst), but the non-action bits making the score more well-rounded and slightly more nuanced, might be just about worth the price of admission alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2021 edited
    NP: BAMBI (Frank Churchill & Edward H. Plumb)

Not a lot to say that hasn't been said. One of the greatest animated films of all time, and a score filled to the brink with nature poetry.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2021
    NP: LE CINÉMA DE.... (Georges Delerue)

This 6CD "box" is one of my most treasured film music "items" (even though the CD placeholders inside became unglued the minute I opened the package). Won't be playing the whole set today (7 hours and 10 minutes in total), obviously, but perfect to sample once in a while for a Delerue dose.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Now that I have Desplat's Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows Part 1 in my collection, I now have all the Harry Potter scores, so for fun, I'm going to listen to them in order from the beginning to get the whole scope and landscape. 4 different composers, but one epic story, so it should be interesting!
  12. Filmscoregirl wrote
    Now that I have Desplat's Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows Part 1 in my collection, I now have all the Harry Potter scores, so for fun, I'm going to listen to them in order from the beginning to get the whole scope and landscape. 4 different composers, but one epic story, so it should be interesting!

It will be interesting to hear from you how cohesive (or not) the listening experience is.

Having the same composer doesn't guarantee what I would call a 'cohesive sound' - especially if there is a large amount of time elapsed between start and finish (e.g., John Williams and the Star Wars franchise) but different composers makes it difficult to retain a style.

I do think for franchises where the story is so integrated between movies that how the films look and sound really needs to maintained as much as possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2021
    I think it's all rather downhill after Doyle's HP4, but there are the odd highlights in the Hooper and Desplat efforts.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Didn't get as far as I wanted in my HP journey today, so I don't have any thoughts to add just yet.