• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2021 edited
    HP1-2 are in full Disney mode, but very likable.
    HP3 is my favourite (book, movie, and score).
    HP4 is a trainwreck as a book, movie, and score, with Harry in Winter being the only saving grace.
    From HP5 on, the movies are brilliant. Hooper's scores have some truly memorable highlights.
    Desplat's finale scores are effective and satisfactory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2021
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    HP4 is a trainwreck as a book, movie, and score, with Harry in Winter being the only saving grace.

Yikes. I think it's the second-best HP score, after HP3.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WARRIORS OF HEAVEN AND EARTH (A.R. Rahman)

Great, epic score from 2003 with plenty of local colloquialisms in a time where Rahman was finally gaining international traction (post-LAGAAN).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Looking for Richard - Howard Shore

I couldn't just spend a bit of time finding this for another post and then not listen to the album. One of my favourite Shore albums that is full of various Shore musical mannerisms.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2021
    Thor wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Yikes. I think it's the second-best HP score, after HP3.

I think I might have to agree with you... and I LOVE the film!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    NP: Violation - Andrea Boccadoro

A bleak strings-based score that focuses more on setting an atmosphere rather than being melodic. Unsettling glissandi and sometimes-demonic vocals suggest somethings not right in this movie.

Apparently the movie itself hasn't gone down well with audiences but this short album is one of my highlights of 2021 so far.

The score is a digital release and is available to stream on Spotify (and possibly other streaming platforms.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I have a small request regarding the relatively less known scores you are listening to (and often later reviewing). Could you feature the information about availability (especially if it's available on streaming) in these posts? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    I have a small request regarding the relatively less known scores you are listening to (and often later reviewing). Could you feature the information about availability (especially if it's available on streaming) in these posts? smile

No problem. I will update this post when I am next at my PC and provide the information in subsequent posts.
  4. Fantastic. You listen to a lot of more obscure scores which may escape the radar and giving "accessibility" information would help getting them across more.
  5. Christopher Young - Creation

Long time no listen, time to reacquaint myself with this one (Spotify). I remember really liking it when it first came out, but never really listened to it much more.
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Fantastic. You listen to a lot of more obscure scores which may escape the radar and giving "accessibility" information would help getting them across more.

I used to have links to releases in my reviews. But once I noticed that the links to digital releases were broken (due to the music no longer being available or the link address had been updated so that my link no longer worked) I removed them. One thing that annoys me about my own and other sites is when links don't work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2021 edited
    NP: GRAND CANYON - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

Haven't listened to this in absolutely ages; I was prompted by a phone-call with my dad just a few minutes ago where he happened to mention the film.

One of my favourites of JNH's early work. It's the sort of thing that most would say hasn't aged well... but I love it for being a product of its time.
  7. Christopher Young - Shipping News

Young's a weird case on Spotify as he has two author accounts. Sadly Murder in the First is gone, so I picked a drama score that I do like a bit. Yesterday was my first listen to the first Hellraiser. Hellbound is not safe for work, so I'll listen at another time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2021
    SHIPPING is one of my top favourite Youngs. Shame MURDER is gone, because that is even higher on my list.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Oooh, yesss! Shipping News and Murder in the First are both exquisite! And I really love Hellraiser too! Christopher Young is super under-the-radar as far as popularity goes, but he's so amazingly talented!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2021 edited
    NP: VERTICAL LIMIT - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

An absolute gem that doesn't get mentioned enough, perhaps because it was over-shadowed by Dinosaur the same year.

I've always loved it but the OST is a terrible representation; all of the highlights from the first half of the score are there but it's lacking sooo much from the second. I do have the 'naughty version' - which includes the missing stuff - but the biggest problem is the recording. It feels a bit flaccid in parts which is a massive shame since there's some very vibrant writing here.

The most curious thing about it, though, is the striking melody (strong enough to be an actual theme) that appears twice in one cue - You Wanna Do This? - and is never heard again. spin

Anyway, I love it.
  9. LSH wrote
    NP: VERTICAL LIMIT - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

I've always loved it but the OST is a terrible representation; all of the highlights from the first half of the score are there but it's lacking sooo much from the second. I do have the 'naughty version' - which includes the missing stuff - but the biggest problem is the recording. It feels a bit flaccid in parts which is a massive shame since there's some very vibrant writing here.

This is one that I haven't really heard. If there was an expanded version do you think that the sound would be an issue? Or could the sound wizards sort things out?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2021
    I don't know Alan. If it's a recording issue probably not.

I'd still welcome an expansion, I genuinely think it's deserving of one. Thor.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2021
    Paul M. van Brugge - Go West Young Man
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2021
    NP: THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL - THOMAS NEWMAN

Lovely stuff. cool
  10. Thor wrote
    I think it's all rather downhill after Doyle's HP4, but there are the odd highlights in the Hooper and Desplat efforts.

Desplat's sole contribution to the hall of fame regarding Harry Potter music is Lily's theme and its amazing eruption in the dragon breakout scene. That was John Williams magic right there. The rest somewhat slipped by without me noticing it.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  11. The Thin Blue Line (Irya Gmeyner & Martin Hederos )

I think this will interest Thor, if he hasn't already heard it. Nice blend of acoustic and electronic, sometimes enhanced by choir. It sounds like it sets the mood of the series well. Nothing that will blow your mind, but it did pass the time for me.
  12. Gareth Coker - Ori and the Will of the Wisps

One of the very best scores of last year. The album is three friggin' hours long, but if there is a hour-long playlist somewhere, Thor should hear it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2021
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Thin Blue Line (Irya Gmeyner & Martin Hederos )

I think this will interest Thor, if he hasn't already heard it. Nice blend of acoustic and electronic, sometimes enhanced by choir. It sounds like it sets the mood of the series well. Nothing that will blow your mind, but it did pass the time for me.

I raved about it a few posts up. It's my favourite score of 2021 so far.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Gareth Coker - Ori and the Will of the Wisps

One of the very best scores of last year. The album is three friggin' hours long, but if there is a hour-long playlist somewhere, Thor should hear it!

I tried sampling this last year, but alas it didn't do much for me. And it wasn't so much the running time, but the music itself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GOD'S LITTLE ACRE (Elmer Bernstein)

Jazzy Americana score (with Bernstein's trademark odd meter ostinati) for a film that caused quite the ruckus back in the day. A young John Williams plays the piano.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2021
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Gareth Coker - Ori and the Will of the Wisps

I tried sampling this last year, but alas it didn't do much for me. And it wasn't so much the running time, but the music itself.

I'm a big fan of the original one but haven't given this a thorough listen yet, only bits here and there.

NP: THE HORSE WHISPERER - THOMAS NEWMAN

I would love to hear Newman do something in this vein again.... something heavily rooted in that ethereal Americana that works so well here. A Western of sorts perhaps?

cool
  13. The World to Come (Daniel Blumberg)

OMG, gave me the heebie jeebies. So many weird choices, like it's ideas just throw in the mix and the instrumental choices worked on my bloody nerves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MY LIFE DIRECTED BY NICOLAS WINDING REFN (Cliff Martinez)

Typically nice atmospheric score by Martinez, for this behind-the-scenes documentary about the making of Refn's ONLY GOD FORGIVES. I've seen that film (which also features a great Martinez score), but not this documentary from 2014. Love those spacey "glass harmonica"-like sounds he does so well that sort of fluctuate in a higher sphere.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: AVATAR - JAMES HORNER

I haven't listened to this in a very long time. It's ok, I guess. I can forgive Horner's repetition in certain contexts but this belongs in the long personal list of those which irritate me somewhat.

I prefer the soundscape-y cues to the more thematic ones. And War is a very good action cue.