• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2021
    AVATAR is among my top 3 Horners. A bonafide masterpiece. But I'm primarily in it for the otherworldy, ethereal "world music". Less so the action stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2021 edited
    I'm certainly not the only one being anxiously curious about Cameron's choice for Horner's successor. Personally, I think James Newton Howard (I'm thinking about Atlantis and Raya) would be the perfect choice, with Daniel Pemberton (Dark Crystal) a close second. The question is who'd be willing to spend the better part of this decade on the job having daily fights with Cameron? biggrin Especially knowing how Horner's original concept was like and how Cameron did everything to sabotage Horner's efforts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2021
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I'm certainly not the only one being anxiously curious about Cameron's choice for Horner's successor. Personally, I think James Newton Howard (I'm thinking about Atlantis and Raya) would be the perfect choice

Yes, we've discussed this a lot on various boards since Horner's passing. I'm totally with you. JNH is basically tailormade for this, but I don't think it's going to happen. My bet is on Simon Franglen, unfortunately.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I'm certainly not the only one being anxiously curious about Cameron's choice for Horner's successor. Personally, I think James Newton Howard (I'm thinking about Atlantis and Raya) would be the perfect choice

Yes, we've discussed this a lot on various boards since Horner's passing. I'm totally with you. JNH is basically tailormade for this, but I don't think it's going to happen. My bet is on Simon Franglen, unfortunately.

I'm still hoping for Alan Silvestri (if James Newton Howard isn't chosen). At least he knows how to work with Cameron. For the love of god, not Simon Franglen. If it's to copy James Honer, then no. Better an original voice with someone to mimic the sound of Avatar than a copy / paste job without the magical Horner touch.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Yeah, my understanding is that Silvestri knows NOT to work with James Cameron more than anything biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MORTAL KOMBAT (Benjamin Wallfisch)

I love EDM more than most people here, but the type of techno on display in "Techno Syndrome 2021" is not really my cuppa tea, especially not when it goes all dubstep (which has been out of fashion for a while now). There is some fine music in the score otherwise, though; the oriental instrumentation is nice. It's best when it's downtempo and textural, the action music feels very generic. Lots of noise, fuss and breaks. All rather uninteresting.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, my understanding is that Silvestri knows NOT to work with James Cameron more than anything biggrin

James Horner said the same thing after Aliens, so I'm still hoping for miracles
  4. Justice League (Tom Holkenborg)

up to track 10 and I'm sitting here, WHY? For the love of god WHY?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: UNA HISTORIA RECIENTE (Angel Illaramendi)

Aka the rejected score from LA LENGUA DE LAS MARIPOSAS from 1999 (director-composer Alejandro Amenàbar ended up scoring it). Hard to believe it was rejected; maybe it was too beautiful in a kind of Morricone/WHAT DREAMS MAY COME situation. Regardless, this was my first encounter with Illaramendi two decades ago, whom I consider a sort of modern-day Delerue.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2021
    NP: AMERICAN BEAUTY - THOMAS NEWMAN

First day back at work... just got back. Quick glass (or two) of wine with some of the more serene cues from this score.... and I'll be sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Don't you work at a bar? Have these opened in the UK now?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL (Thomas Newman)

Haven't played this in ages! It's Newman's classic 90s, "skewed" style combined with some latin flavours and whatnot. Quite lovely, actually.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: IN THE EARTH (Clint Mansell)

Wheatley and Mansell sounds like a match made in heaven, and I'm guessing it is. This is for the most part zithering, dark, ambient textures that are NOT an easy listen (it has more in common with Mica Levi than Mansell's previous work), but I can picture it working beautifully in the film.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. John Williams - Schindler's List

My very good friend's father passed away from COVID today. I knew the man. Felt appropriate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry to hear it, Pawel.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MADE IN FRANCE (Rob)

For me, this 2016 score is the only score of Rob's that comes close to his masterpiece MANIAC from 2012. Spacey, minormoded, cool beats and very "French".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2021
    Thor wrote
    Don't you work at a bar? Have these opened in the UK now?

Well I've always been working with my new course in Aircraft Engineering. Unfortunately the pandemic rules have taken a lot of the practical element away.

I was referring to my part time job, yes in a bar. Fucking took it out of me. Big re-opening.
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    John Williams - Schindler's List

My very good friend's father passed away from COVID today. I knew the man. Felt appropriate.

Sorry to hear that Pawel, all the best to the family
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    John Williams - Schindler's List

Sorry to hear your news Pawel.

Stay safe everyone.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2021 edited
    NP: MEENAXI: A TALE OF 3 CITIES (A.R. Rahman)

Rahman works both mornings and nights. This 2004 score is a nice display of his sophisticated arrangements skills.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2021
    NP: E RIDENDO L'UCCISE (Ennio Morricone)

I love it when Morricone plays around with classical tropes. Partcularly love the rapid trumpet run here, in "La Ferrara Delle Burle". Score from 2005.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Hans Zimmer - Drop Zone

The expansion which actually improved my opinion on the score for a couple of reasons I will explain shortly:

1. There is more filler material, which makes the score less relentless than it is. Some of it is quite cool even (Finding Swoop, for one).
    2. The vocal film version of Hi Jack is ways better than the guitar one that is presented on the original album, even if I preferred vocal was mixed louder on this CD;
    3. Some more melodic action material is missing from the original, namely the final part of After the Dub. Also nice is the fact that the "jumping theme" (featured originally only twice in Too Many Notes...) .
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2021
    NP: THE FAREWELL (Alex Weston)

The film is not all it's made out to be (it's okay), but the score is very lovely. Like Brittell does in SUCCESSION, Weston plays around with baroque-ish elements, giving it a Burt Bacharach feel at times.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Jerry Goldsmith - Islands in the Stream

Reportedly among his personal favorites if not THE favorite score of his. I haven't heard it for a very long time and I'm on a bit of a Goldsmith roll recently, mostly listening to the expansions of his mid-90s action scores (some of which become way fuller or reinstate a missing recurring theme, like U.S. Marshals).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2021
    Yeah, I never understood why he held that as his personal favourite. I mean, it's OK, but compared to some of his other stuff, I don't find it particularly noteworthy.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I actually like it quite a lot for its very impressionistic sound, but I asked an expert.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You asked an expert for what?
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Whether he knows Goldsmith's reasoning here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here's a brief mention of the ISLANDS OF THE STREAM score on the FILM MUSIC MASTERS documentary.

https://youtu.be/LQwbKImS2SY?t=1427

I think he considers it his best or one of his best works was because it was such a personal film for him to write music to. Writing the score seemed effortless because the film was, in Jerry's mind, that good.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2021
    NP: QUEEN OF THE SOUTH (Giorgio Moroder & Rayne Shockne)

Moroder's first 9 tracks are so gorgeous, they're to die for. You can read my pocket review here, if you're interested: http://celluloidtunes.no/queen-of-the-s … y-shockne/
    I am extremely serious.