• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2021
    Joep wrote
    Eleni Karaindrou - To Meteoro Vima Tou Pelargou

Such a wonderful score.

It is indeed. The film is haunting too.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    NP: FAR CRY 3: BLOOD DRAGON (Power Glove)

This computer game score by Power Glove was one of my favs in 2013. It references TERMINATOR, Faltermeyer, Moroder and everything inbetween, but with such tongue-in-cheek glee, it's to die for. Synthwave for the win!

We've had a lot of 80s-nostalgic scores in recent years and this is one of the best. punk
  2. Jerry Goldsmith - The Final Conflict

I think I got the CD in a giveaway from Volker or someone else from here.

In my most recent Jerry series I could not get back to this brilliant score series. I've only seen the first film and it's one I do intend to return to as it was a rare case of a horror that worked for me. I know that the sequels are worse. The scores don't, though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Jerry Goldsmith - First Knight

The complete score. No biggie, just a missing recurring theme. Goldsmith reportedly was offered to release the complete score, but he decided against it because of choral re-use fees.

It's a brilliant adventure score. Among his very best in that regard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2021
    NP: MUSIK IN DOKUMENTAR-FILMEN (Enjott Schneider)

German composer Enjott Schneider (born 1950) is one I've been curious about for years and years, but never really got to check out. With this impressive 3CD set, soon to be widely released, he displays an impressive range and some highly listenable material. Love the vast, east-meets-west, exotic tropes in FÄHRPASSAGEN: PHILIPPINEN, for example, which is where I'm at now.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Knowing Expanded (Marco Beltrami)

Too much of a good thing, the first half draaaaags. But the end surely remains powerful
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - First Knight

The complete score. No biggie, just a missing recurring theme. Goldsmith reportedly was offered to release the complete score, but he decided against it because of choral re-use fees.

It's a brilliant adventure score. Among his very best in that regard.

Once again one of those leitmotif scores he did. Malagant's theme early on, Lancelot's heroic theme, the love theme, hell even an ubersmall Excalibur moment in "Arthur’s Farewell' but which should be called "Never Surrender" (4.10)

Mindblowing stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2021
    THE FINAL CONFLICT and FIRST KNIGHT are both on my JG top 10.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. The complete score adds nuance and a missing theme though. I know your stance, but having a major recurring theme excised from a score is close to criminal even if your name is Jerry Goldsmith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2021
    I had a bootleg CD-R of the expanded KNIGHT once. It didn’t add much to what I already had in the OST, so I threw it in the trash.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2021 edited
    HIDALGO - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

I'm a big fan of this... always have been. Unashamed Laurence Of Arabia vibes mixed into a Wild West / Americana aesthetic. Some reviewers have said that the main theme isn't strong enough; I disagree, I think it's lovely. The final two cues are brilliant, with gorgeous renditions.

The Montage cue is worth the price alone. That middle section with the vocals and almost New-Agey backing is sublime.

It's definitely a contender for an expansion... the 'naughty version' features some lovely soft underscore that is missing from the OST.
  7. Jerry Goldsmith - Sum of All Fears

A shortened (the score only) play list of the La La Land releases. I'm not listening to the songs and the alternates, just the ca 60 minutes of the orchestral score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2021
    JURASSIC PARK - JOHN WILLIAMS

I know this is Thor's favourite score ever... it very well might be mine also.

All the ingredients are there... it's an incredibly well constructed score with some of the most memorable themes ever composed; it was written for an iconic film; and more importantly, it was the first film I ever saw at the cinema.

I FUCKING love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2021
    NP: CRUELLA (Nicholas Britell)

Some interesting tracks, some "empty" tracks that go nowhere fast. Certainly no new SUCCESSION.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2021
    NP: OPERASJON ARKTIS (Trond Bjerknes)

One of the best Norwegian scores of 2014; Bjerknes occasionally tapping into broad, beautiful, chilly Vangelis-like textures. Good children's movie too.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Immortans Fenix Rising: The Lost Gods (Gareth Coker)

Most tracks are 2 minutes long, not leaving room for development (only final tracks are longer). It's decent, but it doesn't make the impact it should

Immortals Fenix Rising: Myths of the Eastern Realm (Gareth Coker)

Now this I like. I've always been a sucker of eastern music, but at least here the ideas get time to develop. Also it feels more like themes are used here, making it a much rewarding experience.
  9. Hans Zimmer & Steve Mazzaro - The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run

Dealing with a bit of a backlog in new scores due to my Jerry Goldsmith series and starting with this. Nice, if seriously all over the place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2021
    Geez. Spambots are being all poetic and shit. :D
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Thor wrote
    Geez. Spambots are being all poetic and shit. :D

Sorted.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. John Powell - The Bourne Identity

I'd do without Mood Build and the drum'n'bass remix, but it's a great and seminal score only to be improved by the sequels.
  12. I agree with you Pawel! The sequel scores are even better! Supremacy is my favorite score of the three, but Identity is my favorite film of the three. It's hard to beat origin stories!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2021 edited
    I have the three first BOURNE scores on (digital) soundtracks, but I have to admit I don't listen to them much. I marvel more at their use in the movies, and their huge influence on the industry.

By the way, Pawel, when do we get your article "Pawel on Powell"? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2021
    NP: MUSASHI (Ennio Morricone)

Leave it to Morricone to sound absolutely nothing like his Japanese colleagues (Takemitsu, Hayasaka, Sato etc.) when writing the music for this 2003 samurai series. But absolutely like himself and some Italian drama. Still, great score.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Filmscoregirl wrote
    I agree with you Pawel! The sequel scores are even better! Supremacy is my favorite score of the three, but Identity is my favorite film of the three. It's hard to beat origin stories!

I find myself more and more drawn to Ultimatum as a score. The more I think of the trilogy, the more I realize that the score is essentially "hand-held" written. Supremacy is a really cool score, but Ultimatum sheds the cool factor, and makes it up in the earnestness factor. I'll speak more of each score in the trilogy in subsequent posts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    ULTIMATUM is the best listening experience.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. I'd say Supremacy is the most fun experience, if only because it's the most unabashedly melodic score of the lot. Not the most consistent (as fun as it gets, Bim Bam Smash feels like downright different genre at times). But Goa, Nach Deutschland, To the Roof (a severely underrated cue that's unadulterated fun), Moscow Wind-Up before it turns more action, these are very strong highlights of the whole trilogy.

Ultimatum is the most mature and consistent and has THE two setpieces of the trilogy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TOP GUN (Harold Faltermeyer)

An "unofficial" score release.....shhhhhhhh! This is among my top 3 most wanted score-only releases.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2021
    NP: L'ESSENTIEL DE... (Jean-Claude Petit)

One of the great, unheralded film composers of France (of his generation) - although doing only very sporadic things in the last 15 years. I first encountered his name in JEAN DE FLORETTE and CYRANO DE BERGERAC on television in the early 90s, like many others, but this is a great overview disc of his other great work as well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2021 edited
    NP: TREASURE PLANET (James Newton Howard)

Very rollicking (love that adjective). Perhaps a bit too much at times.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Thor wrote
    NP: TREASURE PLANET (James Newton Howard)

Very rollicking (love that adjective). Perhaps a bit too much at times.

It has been years since I have listened to this. But then I can say that about a lot of scores.

I find myself battling with listening to lots of sub-par new stuff and missing out on great older stuff. Too much music, too little time!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn