• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2021 edited
    You’re right… AND CRACKS IS TOO! Okay, that just made me feel old.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2021
    NP: A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM (Elliot Goldenthal)

I've listened to this all but twice since I got it (in digital format -- still need to purchase on CD), and it's firmly in line with his earlier theatre work (JUAN DARIEN, THE GREEN BIRD etc.) -- perhaps with shades of something like THE BUTCHER BOY. Skewed Boulevard-type music with accordions, glass harmonicas, bass guitars and other eclectic contents.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Goldenthal in that mode is a prime example of me being able to appreciate the intellectuality of it, but not enjoy it on an emotional level.

NP: IN DREAMS - Elliot Goldenthal

This, on the other hand *chef’s kiss*
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh yes, totally agreed!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MR. SKEFFINGTON (Franz Waxman)

I love how the opening theme sounds like a precursor to THE ONEDIN LINE. It's a fine score, but a little scatterbrained over the course of 63 minutes. It's always been in my "second-tier" list of Waxman titles.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: JUNGLE CRUISE - James Newton Howard

I like this. The Suite is wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2021
    NP: SWORDFISH (Paul Oakenfold)

Because I just remembered it in the techno thread. Awesome score. Young's score album is OK, but can go suck a banana. This is where it's at! Beautiful, floating EDM from my favourite DJ/EDM composer in the last 30 years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2021 edited
    NP: DEN TUNNA BLÅ LINJEN (Martin Hederos & Irya Gmeyner)

Yes, again. I think, ultimately, this is my favourite score of the year. Shame it's for television and not film, as I'm unsure if I can include it in my annual podcast.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2021
    NP: THE MURDER PACT (Matthew Llewelyn)

One of my favourite scores of 2015. Llewelyn's gorgeous synth score is wide and melodic -- not something you would expect for a horror-centered movie. He was excited when I included it in Celluloid Tunes' top 10 of the year, but it's very deserved.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2021 edited
    NP: THE POTATO VENTURE - Palu Aaltio

This is actually pretty entertaining. It’s a score for a 17th century set comedy, utilizing orchestra, (female) choir and several medieval instruments like the lute and harpsichord. At one point it even quotes Vivaldi (‘Seasons Pass’).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET - John Williams

Never heard the full score before, only bits and pieces. As I’m currently listening on my phone during the day, in the background, I’m still not giving it my full attention as I should, but I love what I’m hearing nonetheless (of course I do, it’s Williams!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2021
    BobdH wrote
    NP: THE POTATO VENTURE - Palu Aaltio

This is actually pretty entertaining. It’s a score for a 17th century set comedy, utilizing orchestra, (female) choir and several medieval instruments like the lute and harpsichord. At one point it even quotes Vivaldi (‘Seasons Pass’).

Always interested to hear more Panu (that's Panu, not Palu). I've heard about this, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    NP: SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET - John Williams

Never heard the full score before, only bits and pieces. As I’m currently listening on my phone during the day, in the background, I’m still not giving it my full attention as I should, but I love what I’m hearing nonetheless (of course I do, it’s Williams!).

It's gorgeous. Are you listening to an expanded release? Wasn't aware that one existed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    No, no expanded release, just the regular album that’s on Apple Music. When I said I had never heard the full score, I meant I had never heard that full album, just the suites on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah, OK. I'm totally out-of-the-loop in terms of expanded releases, and tend to shove them out of my area of knowledge (into mental non-existence).

It's an underrated score, regardless. Back when Williams and Yo-Yo were doing all kinds of projects together. The "Elegy for Cello and Orchestra", which he adapted from a piece in the TIBET score, is one of my alltime favourite JW concert pieces.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AGE OF CONAN: HYBORIAN ADVENTURES (Knut Avenstroup Haugen)

Knut is a good friend of mine, but I always felt his CONAN game scores were top of the pops. Huge orchestral forces, but also wonderful medieval instrumentation. Always memorable themes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2021 edited
    NP: NORWEGIAN WOOD - Jonny Greenwood

Looking into Haruki Murakami’s books (already read Kafka on the Shore and 1Q84 and want to further explore him) so figured this would be a perfect aural companion while I dig into his bibliography. Never heard the score before, even though I love Greenwood’s works for PTA’s films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2021 edited
    Thor wrote
    The "Elegy for Cello and Orchestra", which he adapted from a piece in the TIBET score, is one of my alltime favourite JW concert pieces.

I’ll need to check this one out then! The only classical work from John Williams I’ve heard is The Five Sacred Trees, of which I attended a live performance from in Chicago, the one with Williams conducting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2021
    NP: A SINGLE MAN - Abel Korzeniowski

A warm bath after the coldness of Norwegian Wood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2021
    BobdH wrote
    NP: A SINGLE MAN - Abel Korzeniowski

A warm bath after the coldness of Norwegian Wood.

Indeed. Perfect, breezy shot once in a while. Speaking of which:

NP: LOVER'S PRAYER (Joel McNeely)

Always a soundtrack I reach for when I'm stressed out (which I am now). Beautiful classical pastiche; quite Schubert at times, and Chopin-esque elegance at other times.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. James Horner - The Spitfire Grill

I'm interviewing the French horn soloist in two days.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Great guy, which reminded me of some of his other performances, like this one:

James Newton Howard - The Last Airbender

However, I am among those pissed off about muting the choir in this score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    James Newton Howard - The Last Airbender

However, I am among those pissed off about muting the choir in this score.

Luckily you can get the version as it's meant to be heard through different channels wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Reminiscence -- Ramin Djawadi

What a boring score, completely puts me off on seeing the film someday
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2021
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Reminiscence -- Ramin Djawadi

What a boring score, completely puts me off on seeing the film someday

Thought the same thing. Although there are some nice bits, the whole thing comes off as uninspired. Luckily the film gets a 38% at RottenTomatoes, so no need to see it anyway wink.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2021 edited
    NP: LUCA - Dan Romer

I like the vibe of Romer’s music, which is a good match with the film and I quite enjoyed the score in picture, but the lack of any memorable themes makes this largely forgettable once it’s over.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2021 edited
    NP: CANDYMAN - Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe

This is mainly just understated sound design, with a few melancholic reprisals of Philip Glass’ music box theme from the original (Troy Story, Troy Story Reprise) and some other vague allusions towards Glass’ score or style (The Sweet, Brianna Says His Name).

Lowe has worked on projects before with Jóhann Jóhannsson and Hildur Gudnadottir, which might tell you something of what to expect, but this is too understated and minimalist for me to get any enjoyment out of away from the film, let alone a release with 73 (!) minutes.
  6. Hearing Glass' music box theme again will be interesting. I reserve judgement on the rest. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2021
    Don’t get your hopes up wink.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2021
    I'm all "glassed out" at the present.

NP: TRADE OFFS (David Helpling)

New Age stalwart Helpling does a score that seems straight out of the A.R. Rahman textbook -- electronic textures meeting Indian instrumentation. Has some good, beat-based tracks; wish they lasted longer. The shortness of the tracks result in a rather scatterbrained listening experience. Film is from 2003.
    I am extremely serious.