• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2021
    NP: TO TOKYO (Trevor Jones)

Film is from 2018, but the soundtrack was released today. Listening now on Spotify. I think it's a fascinating score -- quite minimal, and free of the size and overtness of his famous work in the 80s and 90s (entertaining as they were). Good on him for reinventing himself a bit now that he's basically "just" a teacher at a South African college. Has kind of a Sakamoto vibe, I think. Voices and percussion/chimes. Regardless, it's rather weird to have a new Jones score out. A blast from the past.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2021 edited
    Was just listening to this as well (To Tokyo), and was about to say (kind of) the same. He apparently wrote it for his sons (low budget) own film, which explains why it’s so understated and ‘small’, as opposed to his more epic previous works. Interesting, a melodic delight after Candyman, and need to revisit this in the evening, to be in the proper mood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    After having spent some time with it, it's one of my favourite soundtrack releases of 2021, but since it's a film from 2018, I'm not sure if it's eligible for my annual lists. But hey -- it's my list, so I can do whatever I want. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Maciek Dobrowolski - Czarny młyn (Black Mill)

Maciek's newest score, just came out under the Polish film title (a family adventure film, which reviewers compared to Stranger Things). This is a contemporary score. Available in streaming form (ca 44 minutes of score) and a 63 minute expansion (about 10-15 minutes short from the complete score), that is available for purchase at iTunes, Amazon and BandCamp.

I consulted the album's programming and, a bit, the English track titles. The expanded version features English track titles. I can provide translation of the Polish titles in the streaming version, should it be necessary.

Really proud of the guy and I feel honored to call him one of my very best friends.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cool. Never really heard anything of him since he gave me a CD of CLOCKWISE all those years ago. Thanks for the headsup.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. PawelStroinski wrote
    Maciek Dobrowolski - Czarny młyn (Black Mill)

Maciek's newest score, just came out under the Polish film title (a family adventure film, which reviewers compared to Stranger Things). This is a contemporary score. Available in streaming form (ca 44 minutes of score) and a 63 minute expansion (about 10-15 minutes short from the complete score), that is available for purchase at iTunes, Amazon and BandCamp.

I consulted the album's programming and, a bit, the English track titles. The expanded version features English track titles. I can provide translation of the Polish titles in the streaming version, should it be necessary.

Really proud of the guy and I feel honored to call him one of my very best friends.

I noticed that this was out and it is on my 'to listen to' list.

I have a bit of affection for the Clockwise CD - it features a quote from my review of the score!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. The promo, yes, I remember. Good times!
  4. Thor wrote
    Cool. Never really heard anything of him since he gave me a CD of CLOCKWISE all those years ago. Thanks for the headsup.

He has a couple of things out on streaming. Check out his Apella and Ephemera concept albums and tell us what you think. I think you might enjoy at least some of that smile
  5. Not strictly playing anything but more a comment.

I am struggling to hear the over-the-top love for the improvements in the sound quality regarding LLL's new STAR TREK: THE WRATH OF KHAN release.

From most of the comments I was expecting to hear a revelatory improvement in this new version over all previous versions. But all I am hearing are the smallest of improvements, none of which are truly 'wow!' moments.

What's most obvious (to my ears) are some changes to the mixing in places that do bring some instrument groups/instrument techniques (e.g., pizzicato) more to the fore at the expense of other groups. This would probably be a good thing if it were not for the fact that it has changed the dynamic on some of my favourite parts.

Yes, improvements in sound quality to a recording but, personally, I would prefer the original mixing levels to be retained and not altered at the decision of others after the fact (if that is what has been done here.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2021
    I gave up on that particular aspect years ago. The difference needs to be so monumetal for me to take notice/double-dip that very, very few qualify. It would need to be situations like the Perseverance RAIN MAN versus the NoteforNote RAIN MAN. Then we're talking.

People have raved about the sound difference in several Williams scores (like IMAGES and THE EIGER SANCTION lately), but really, the originals sound perfectly fine. The difference is negligible.

But sound quality, along with expansion talk and various other issues SURROUNDING the music itself seems to be what everyone is talking about these days, in various fora. I just have to accept that and ignore as much as possible.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. To prolong this discussion further for a moment, I think that the difference between the content of the original THE EIGER SANCTION album and the new original score version means that they are quite different experiences. So it's a slightly different case to the sound quality situation.

The choice of tracks on the original album imposes a certain sound that may not reflect the quality of the score itself. But makes the music more of a commercial package.
  7. Thor wrote
    People have raved about the sound difference...

This is the thing. Some of the comments I have seen suggest that the differences are so great between versions that the improvements should be astounding. But they are invariably not.

I listen to an earlier version and then listen to a new version and I struggle to hear any differences, even when I am trying to hear a difference. Doing a side-by-side comparison to hear differences isn't a real life way of assessing the difference.
  8. Only Murders in the Building (Siddartha Khosla)

Quite monotonous selection (even at just 32 minutes), but quite a catchy theme.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2021
    NP: SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS - Joel P. West

It’s above average in composition, I enjoy the orchestralness and eastern touches while it lasts, but the lack of strong thematic writing makes you forget it the moment it’s over.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2021
    BobdH wrote
    NP: SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS - Joel P. West

It’s above average in composition, I enjoy the orchestralness and eastern touches while it lasts, but the lack of strong thematic writing makes you forget it the moment it’s over.

Agree with all of that, really a shame that he didn't slip a theme or two in there, would have elevated it to a fantastic score. Black Panther and The First Avenger supremacy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2021 edited
    There are themes, but they don't offer themselves on a plate. Repeated listening will reward you.

The movie is fantastic, by the way. WAY better than I anticipated, maybe because I avoided every trailer after the first one. Watching them now afterwards, I'm amazed what they gave away. Seriously, if you haven't seen any trailers yet, don't. Just go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2021
    I’ve heard it a couple times by now, because I enjoy the orchestral ambience, and I know there are themes, I just don’t find them particularly strong or compelling.

And good that you enjoyed the film, but no, I won’t be going. I’m a bit Marvelled out by now wink.
  9. Well, it's one of those Marvel movies that are a little bit less like a Marvel movie and and a bit more like something on their own. It feels like a weirdly fun mix of Doctor Strange, Hero, and Narnia, with some fantastic modern day fighting sequences thrown in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2021 edited
    Still, I’ve heard this way too many times, “no no THIS Marvel movie should be checked out, it is way different! If you only see ONE Marvel movie…!”. I’m quite sick of the whole superhero trend, and I’ve been for quite some years now. With over 20 years by now, it’s taken way too much time. I can’t be persuaded to watch any of them by now, except possibly for the ones that are made outside of those horrid “universes”. Like, I haven’t seen Joker yet, but that film at least intrigues me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2021
    My exact feelings too, Bob.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Yeah, cosigned. Genres usually come and go in popularity...surely it's high time that superheroes went?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yeah, I think the superhero trend may count as the longest ever Hollywood trend by now? The problem is of course how studio’s have become addicted to ‘built-in audiences’, giving the films they churn out to have a certain certainty of success.

Also, the fact that a complete film studio (Marvel) has been built around it, and the only property they have is superhero’s, shows this trend has no signs of stopping yet. The only thing we can do about it is, to stop buying those damn movie tickets.

I was hoping the big crescendo of Avengers: End Game would make the whole thing come to its logical conclusion, but nope, people keep buying tickets to phase number I-lost-count. And the whole thing is drenched in fan service to “stay true to the comics”, which is just killing for creativity.

Meanwhile the trend has been going on for so long that younger movie-goers know nothing else besides superhero’s so they’ve just come to expect new episodes annually. Argh.
  11. The more sinister underlying problem is the viselike grip Disney has on Hollywood now, and that they have apparently learned that they do not need quality, originality, creativity or inspiration to make money anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    True, as painful as I find it to admit it. I recently read Walt Disney’s biography and, knowing what kind of person he was, it’s hard to imagine he would be happy with where his company ended up. The only originality coming from Disney being Pixar, despite the Toy Story sequels.
  12. I don't know about that romantic view of Walt Disney...he was a businessman first and foremost. A well-meaning one, certainly, but I don't think he would have minded being essentially the benevolent dictator of all film.

Put it this way: I can see him being disappointed with the studio's current output, but very pleased with its current place in the industry.
  13. Cinderella (Mychael Danna)

So sad nearly every track doesn't last over a minute, it does sound nice and charming. You wish ideas were developed here
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2021
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Put it this way: I can see him being disappointed with the studio's current output, but very pleased with its current place in the industry.

That’s probably a good way of putting it. I was thinking of how extremely critical he was of the studio’s output, in terms of creativity, originality and craft. I still think the artistry of the studio was at its peak when it was under his leadership.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2021 edited
    NP: BLACK MILL (Maciek Dobrowolski)

Per Pawel's previous recommendation. This new score was a surprise. Rather broad electronic landscapes, a combination of synthwave and Zimmer's more chugging, ambient landscapes in recent years. Not on CLOCKWISE's level, and it's a bit uneven (some parts are a bit generic), but I like it!
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Which version did you pick?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2021
    Judging from the cover and track titles, it appears to be the Polish version. It was through IFMCA.
    I am extremely serious.