• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. That's a companion piece to an artbook.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2021
    I know, but you don’t know what its contents are. Might include that fuller version of the Atreides theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2021 edited
    (redacted)
  2. Jóhann Jóhannsson - Arrival

Yesterday it was his birthday so I elected not to listen to Dune that day, but, in respect for the man, Sicario. Today it's Arrival, which was my favorite film in the year it came out (and as the thinking man's SF film it seriously resonated me. The communication themes also resonate with me big time).

I know I'm a rarity, but this was actually my favorite score the year it came out and I think I still stand by this opinion. The use of voice to communicate the idea of communication was a great thing. The more atmospheric elements of dread in the score harken at Sicario (especially the brilliant First Encounter, shortened from the film version; there is a complete FYC version that came out on one of the studios).

I know Richter's On the Nature of Daylight is a hit and all, but Jóhannsson wrote a great and impactful score for the film. He was shut out of the Oscar nominations, which would be very well-deserved, because just of the added value and ingenuity of the score in film.

My idea yesterday was not to denigrate anyone or anything. I was just respectful of the fact that Jóhannsson and Villeneuve were supposed to reunite for Dune and that the Blade Runner situation was an amicable split. The director, though, was very happy with the Blade Runner 2049 score, so it was a no-brainer who would do the adaptation.
  3. Celebritas (Nicolas Labrikanis)

Recommended by Christopher. Quite nice, orchestral, pleasant and upbeat orchestral rhythms. Choral from time to time. It misses for me the ultimate punch at the end though (a way a concert work needs to explode at the end), but for 30 minutes it was fun to discover

Thanks for the recommendation Christopher, never would have heard this without you wave
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2021
    I'll give that a whirl too. Be sure also to check out COLISEUM by Marc Timon Barcelo, which is something I thought of when Christopher mentioned that.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Jóhann Jóhannsson - Prisoners

Dark, somehow religious (the faith of Hugh Jackman's character plays a huge part in the film and it's actually quite fascinating that this particular world was explored by the film's score), in fact for such a tense and dark film, the score is very Pärtesque. That was my introduction to Denis Villeneuve and Jóhann Jóhannsson. I even remembered who I went to see it with!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jóhann Jóhannsson - Prisoners

Dark, somehow religious (the faith of Hugh Jackman's character plays a huge part in the film and it's actually quite fascinating that this particular world was explored by the film's score), in fact for such a tense and dark film, the score is very Pärtesque. That was my introduction to Denis Villeneuve and Jóhann Jóhannsson. I even remembered who I went to see it with!

My favourite score of 2013.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thought this would rock your boat.

There is a certain heaviness people usually don't like about Jóhansson's work, but I happen to love it. Hence his "lightest" score (The Theory of Everything) is actually my least favorite of his.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yup, agreed.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. You might not like The Theory of Everything due to the temp track love in that one.
  7. Thor wrote
    I'll give that a whirl too. Be sure also to check out COLISEUM by Marc Timon Barcelo, which is something I thought of when Christopher mentioned that.

Heard that one already several years ago, indeed some good tracks there too
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2021 edited
    NP: PAVITHRA (A.R. Rahman)

I've always had a soft spot for Rahman's early efforts, like PAVITHRA (1993) -- especially the gorgeous chord progressions of the opening song "Azhahu nilave".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2021 edited
    NP: THE HANDMAIDEN (Jo Yeong-wook)

Still have fond memories of catching the morning premiere of Park Chan-wook's THE HANDMAIDEN in Cannes in 2016, altough it was way too early for my taste. Great film, although I didn't like it as much as my colleagues. The sweeping and seductive score by Jo Yeong-wook is pure class (although Yeong-wook frequently uses co-composers, so I don't know how the credits are here).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2021
    NP: THE JUNGLE BOOK (Basil Poledouris)

I don't care much for big and boisterous orchestral action music these days, but I will never lose my love of the ones in that idiom that I heard in my formative years. This is a good example. Perfectly curated album too (I've deleted the songs from my iTunes).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2021
    NP: L'INCORRIGIBLE / VA VOIR MAMAN, PAPA TRAVAILLE (Georges Delerue)

The big, waltzy show music doesn't do much for me, but fortunately there are some of Delerue's trademark bittersweetness here. Some of it sounds kinda like Francis Lai, which is a compliment.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Just finished listening to CLARET by Oscar Martin Leanizbarrutia. It's quite beautiful. The opening track is the grandest on the album, so don't expect it to get bigger than that, but It's a solid score that will almost certainly be in my top 10 by the end of the year.
  9. christopher wrote
    Just finished listening to CLARET by Oscar Martin Leanizbarrutia. It's quite beautiful. The opening track is the grandest on the album, so don't expect it to get bigger than that, but It's a solid score that will almost certainly be in my top 10 by the end of the year.

Hear a lot of good things about this. Sometimes I wonder, would your impression (rating) be different if they placed the best track last? Because then you're ending the album on the highest note? Instead of starting with it.

For me this definitely changes things
  10. It's interesting to see albums that used to be LPs and then released on CD/digital. The album would start off on a high to lure the listener in and then there would be two highlight tracks in the middle that would have ended side one and started side two on an LP. It would sound a bit weird on a CD.

With the demise of the main titles sequence in film the rousing opening to an album is a lot less common. The same goes too for end credits tracks bringing an album to an end.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2021
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's interesting to see albums that used to be LPs and then released on CD/digital. The album would start off on a high to lure the listener in and then there would be two highlight tracks in the middle that would have ended side one and started side two on an LP. It would sound a bit weird on a CD.

I actually like it. Gives the experience a kind of "Act 1", "Act 2" thing.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Personally, I think it works for LPs as there's a physical break in the listening - almost like an intermission.

But, it's a bit of an artifact on CD as I think there's an expectation that the arc of the listening experience on CD wouldn't have the gap in the middle.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I wouldn't call it a gap. It's not uncommon for concert works to reach some sort of midway crescendo, so a film score could be experienced the same way. It can often make structurally sense.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Thor wrote
    I wouldn't call it a gap. It's not uncommon for concert works to reach some sort of midway crescendo, so a film score could be experienced the same way. It can often make structurally sense.

I am not getting into a long, drawn out discussion on album structure! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Damn! And here I was hoping....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ROMEO & JULIET (James Horner)

I've only played this rejected score once since it "leaked". It's pretty good (and pretty much a what's what of Hornerisms throughout the decades), but can't measure up to Korzeniowski's wonderful replacement score, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Thor wrote
    Damn! And here I was hoping....

biggrin
  14. Venom: Let There be Carnage (Marco Beltrami)

Busy year for Beltrami. Anyway begin and end are good (especially the end), but the middle is way too long. Could have deleted a lot of the middle, which sounds like one action spectacle after another. The music all blends into one big action track, and therefore isn't memorable anymore.

The final tracks are good though, quirky and show Eddie or Venom's theme well
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2021
    NP: LES PLUS GRANDS SUCCES DE... (Vladimir Cosma)

Cosma has been so insanely productive in his career (he still is), so finding your way into his work can be a cumbersome affair. Also because he juggles all kinds of styles and idioms with superb ease. But this 2CD set from 2002 is a good start, or a nice session if you just want a taste. Covers the orchestral, the jazzy, the poppy and everything inbetween pretty well.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. NP: Servant - Season 2 (Trevor Gureckis)

Certainly nothing to listen to for TeaTime, but absolutely PERFECT as background music for any horror-themed P&P RPG games.

And it works very well for this spectacularly ignored TV show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2021
    Yes, it's a great show. So slow burn it almost burns itself out, but ultimately rewarding.
    I am extremely serious.