• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I think about this topic off-and-on and thought that I would ask the question in open forum to see what kind of a discussion we get going.

As with music buying, the role of the film music review has changed a lot from when I first started listening to film and TV music. Back then (late seventies and early eighties) there was very little chance to get an idea of what the music was like other than to go see the movie or watch the TV show. Then, based upon that experience, you would either buy or not buy the music (if it had been released).

As the amount of music was increased (on LP and later CD), there was very little opportunity to hear what the music was like save for watching the film or TV show. As the internet started to become more popular and I found places like the FSM store clips of 3-4 tracks began to appear so you got a sense of the music. But, the sellers would showcase the best bits so you still didn't really get a good idea of what the whole album was like.

Then I came to magazines like Music from the Movies (?) and Film Score Monthly became essential reading and these featured album reviews to albums you couldn't hear or to albums you didn't know existed. Reading these reviews allowed me to get a sense of what the album would be like and I could decide whether to take a chance and buy it. Also, I would probably be forming my opinion on composers and their music, beginning to know what the chances of me liking another Jerry Goldsmith score would be based upon my previous experience of his music.

So, for ages this was the status quo.

Then, with the appearance of places such as Amazon, you got a chance to sample 30 seconds of all the album and you could listen to these alongside the reviews I was reading (in magazines and, increasingly, on websites). As time went on streaming services and places like YouTube allowed you to listen to entire albums and you could decide yourself whether to buy an album or not buy it but bookmark it to listen to online from now on.

This is where I wonder whether film music reviews are worth it nowadays? Or whether they are still useful but their role has changed? Why read (or write) a review if you can listen to the score yourself and form your own opinion. Do we need 4-5 reviews of an album everyone knows has been released and you were probably going to buy/listen to anyway? Is a review today not about finding out something about an album you couldn't otherwise know anything about but rather abdicating your own need to listen to something and have someone else tell you you need to listen to it?

Perhaps today reviews need to move away from reviewing albums that everyone knows is available and focus rather on finding titles that people don't know are available and signal to them that they should be listening to it? (I may be a bit biased towards this since I feel my own reviews fall into this latter category.) Should reviewers be actively hunting for the top-quality obscure titles or waiting for composers sending them the top-quality obscure titles to review?

This is just a stream-of-consciousness post to get a discussion going. The points may not be in much of a coherent order but hopefully it makes sense enough for a discussion on any of the points to get started.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I don't read reviews to make purchase decisions because I just like to wing it and be surprised. But I think for me, I care less about reviews that focus on whether the writer found the music "good" or not - since like you said, it's very subjective and with streaming services you can just listen to whatever you want to form your own opinion. But what I DO love about reviews is when a listener/writer does a deep dive into identifying certain motifs and their roles throughout the score, or different color choices by the composer that somehow reflect the film's landscape better, or ways the music was recorded or made that brought unique elements into the score. That type of information from reviews I think makes the listening experience so much more fun and interesting, and I can appreciate it even more. So I guess, the reviews that aren't just an opinion on quality, but also provide context and background in creating the score are still relevant to me. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2021
    I think Cailin is on to something here. In this day and age, reviews aren't so much buyer directions, but provide information and context to something you've already heard, or are in the process of hearing.

I find myself struggling to write reviews for my own site, because the audience is so low. So who am I writing for? Myself? Probably. But maybe someone, somewhere down the line, will find some useful observations that help contextualize their own opinion on the score. At least that's my hope.

I also try to balance the obscure with the well-known, and that goes for the other contributors to the site as well (whose preferences and interests range considerably).

I can't speak for other review sites, but what I try to offer is a "good pen", insightful observations and covering scores that may have passed many people by in the huge jungle of available material out there. My annual top lists reflect that, for example, and I know you have a similar ideology, Alan (even if our taste often diverges).

I also remember the days of reading reviews in FSM, Music for the Movies etc. I have a huge collection of film magazines back when they existed, and I look forward to delving into them again at some point - just for the sheer entertainment value of it all.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. My own reviewing history is quite weird as I've started with crappy short reviews and went into even crappier track-by-track analyses of a score (I'm so happy that site is actually gone). It took me a long time to write (while still long) in a more condensed and synthetic manner.

Because my love for film and its music is so intertwined, I have to say that for me I am looking for the semantics and try to break them down. What are the themes, what do they represent and what do they do in the picture? I have written without picture (what made my change permanent was getting the War Horse CD two months before the film premiered and deciding to write the review, because, as I told Thomas during the Zoom meeting, I thought Williams wouldn't surprise me. He did, but I got a huge backlash for reviewing it without picture and stating that the review will be supplemented by an in-film assessment when it actually comes out; I've actually been accused of piracy. No, Sony sent the CDs early). To me the marriage, the symbiosis of film and music are "it".

Do I inspire purchases? I don't know. Do I inspire discussions? Not so much anymore, people just comment with their opinion now. But still I can give it a bit of thought and break a score down. In my writing for a music quarterly here in Poland, I write condensed texts about "what music can do" in a picture, hoping (maybe naively) that it will inspire some composers to look at potential approaches to a picture.

I also try to watch my language when it comes to composers. Assess the music, not the man. Sadly I've not always been this way on message boards...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Filmscoregirl wrote
    But what I DO love about reviews is when a listener/writer does a deep dive into identifying certain motifs and their roles throughout the score, or different color choices by the composer that somehow reflect the film's landscape better...

So you much prefer reading a review where the music is discussed in terms of how it fits with the movie? That is, the more interesting reviews are where the reviewer has seen the movie?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Not necessarily - as most scores, I will never see the movie they come from. I mainly mean as a parameter for creating the music, as the music must serve the movie. The information on how the film is made, directors vision, time period, etc. and how that impacts how the music is created is what is interesting to me. Like how Daniel Pemberton in his score to Steve Jobs (a movie I've not seen, nor heard the score) said in some interview that he only used synth/electronic technology that existed in the 70s/80s during the parts of the movie that were happening in that time period to represent the growth and dynamic change of computer/phone technology throughout the film. He chose to use a limited palette to better serve the movie and that information really got me excited to hear the score and experience that specific environment he created. I haven't heard it yet, but just knowing the depth of thought behind his choices I know would make me appreciate it so much more than if I had no idea going into it.