• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2021
    With your newfound(?) love of great beers, you would have loved those brewery visits, Alan.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2021 edited
    Thor wrote
    With your newfound(?) love of great beers, you would have loved those brewery visits, Alan.

Well, I love distillery tours, and the one visit to a vineyard I've done was great. So I imagine that a tour of a brewery would be good too!

wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2021 edited
    OK, so we're now at Ghent 2015 -- to date, the last WSA trip I've taken.

Guests this time included Alan Silvestri, Patrick Doyle, Daniel Pemberton, Dirk Brossé. Maybe others I've forgotten.

I brought along a friend of mine from Norway this time - one who has no particular interest in film music, but for whom it was a holiday trip to experience Ghent. He did come with me to the British film music concert the first day, but not the WSA itself. I took him around town for some sightseeing - we saw an old abbey, went to many pubs (often with Bregt & the gang) and we had a big dinner at Bregt's place with lots of guests. Some Disney karaoke ensued as well. And once again, I emptied Bregt's beer inventory.

But yeah, the big thing for me this time was the interview with Silvestri. You can hear it, as well as see the picture of me and him, here: http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … l-edition/

One night, my friend and I went to a pub where Silvestri was sitting with a group. As he got up, we talked a bit about the amazing beer selection (as you know, he has his own vineyard, so I assumed he was interested in beers too).

I have loads of great pictures from these Ghent trips (only a fraction of them are available on Facebook, and I've basically stopped doing "albums" now). It would be great to show them to you some day, and in some fashion. Many of you are represented on them.

Hard to believe it's been 6 years since my last trip. Many reasons for why, I suppose -- not been thrilled with the guest lineups, there are no more cheap RyanAir flights to Belgium and I've had economical and other problems in my life that have prevented it. But health permitting, I certainly aim to be back with a vengeance once this covid nonsense is over.

OK, so now I'll reboot and do the Krakow film music festivals for the next "installment".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2021 edited
    OK, moving on to Krakow and the film music festival there.

If my archives are correct, I first went there in 2012. Guests included Goldenthal (again!), Julie Taymour, Tom Tykwer, Reinhold Heil. There was a Live-to-Projection concert of PERFUME: STORY OF A MURDERER. Wojciech Kilar was there too, to receive a special lifetime award.

This is where I had my favourite Goldenthal interview. I went to the steel mill where the concert was being held later that evening, to attend the rehearsals. The rehearsal was in this big auditorium-type builiding with pillars and vast, empty rooms. I sat on a chair at the back of the room. Goldenthal was sitting in the middle of the orchestra. In a break, he and I went down the stairs for the interview. We sat down - on the stairs - for the conversation, and at some point an entire boy's choir walked by. He said they were there for the INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE segment. The interview didn't last more than 10 minutes or so, and Goldenthal was either inebriated/hung over or struggling with the head injury (maybe both), but it was a good talk. Alas, there is no picture of this. It would have been great -- in that big hallway, with pillars and pompous stairs and no one else in sight. Like something out of CITIZEN KANE.

Otherwise, I did a bit of sightseeing and met up with the regulars. Pawel, of course, and Maciek. Plus loads of Streamingsoundtracks guys. I hung out a lot with Francis (where is he these days?), we went to the salt mines, among other things. And we got fined for not stamping our bus tickets. Jon Broxton was there too, to host some Q&A.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Nice. Goldenthal would be an interesting guy to meet up with.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I can confirm he's a great guy. He comes to Kraków every other year and I always manage to pull off a chat with him.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2021 edited
    Another installment.

I only made one more film music trip to Krakow -- i.e. two years after the one above, in 2014. Guests this time included Goldenthal, Zimmer, Patrick Doyle, Dario Marianelli, Garry Shyman and Johan Söderqvist. I was invited as a special guest to conduct the Q&A with Söderqvist; there was a special Scandinavian focus in this edition, and they showed KON-TIKI live to music in the steel mill. There was also a huge GLADIATOR and James Bond concert in the sports arena.

I don't believe I conducted any other interviews here, except recording the Zimmer Q&A (hosted by Simon Greenaway, Gavin's brother) for an episode of Celluloid Tunes.

My favourite part was the afterparty. I chatted a bit with Zimmer (so did Pawel) and Doyle, who I had met and interviewed in Helsinki earlier in the year. Struck up a few conversations with Goldenthal too, but no interview this time, as I'd already done two before. Did not exchange any words with Marianelli or Schymann. Hung out with Söderqvist and the Norwegian delegation, mostly.

Didn't do much sightseeing this time, it was all very much "event"-focussed for me. But a great edition. It's difficult to believe that I've not made another trip to the Krakow film music festival since then, but I aim to.

Alas, by this point, I had more or less stopped doing "photo albums" on Facebook, so I would need to upload photos from my harddrive. Bit of a hassle.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Marianelli is a nice guy. He was at the first SONCINEMAD event in Madrid. It was around tge time V FOR VENDETTA was out - I have a posed photo of him in front of the film poster (the event was held in a cinema multiplex).

I remember that he seemed very unsure what to do when he was there. He hadn't much experience of meeting fans or being the centre of attention.

If I remember correctly Marianelli is the only film composer to say that I have a lovely voice/accent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2021 edited
    Rebooting with a different event...

My first visit to Hollywood in Vienna was in 2013, for the James Horner concert. It was also my first visit to Vienna and Austria in general.

This is where I had the chance to interview Horner. In the breakfast restaurant at the top of Vienna's most luxurious hotel, with Marian Schedenig (of FSM and JWFAN fame) as "photographer". I was alloted 10 minutes, I stretched it to 13 before the organizer gave me the "cutthroat" sign, so I had to quit (which is a shame, because I had intended to ask him about the danger motif, among other things). But we had a nice and fruitful conversation, which you can hear here: http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … l-edition/ (also includes a photo with me and him).

I also got to interview David Newman, who was there to conduct. This was at the afterparty, where Horner popped by for a quick hello. I ran into Newman at the airport toilet too, upon returning, and we exchanged an awkward "hello again".

Earlier in the day, I also interviewed director Joe Dante for a group interview, and got to ask him about the Goldsmith and Donaggio collabs, among other things. Photo here.

But this is really a legendary trip for other reasons. Obviously, there was the sightseeing. I saw all the sites of the city, took a trip out to the Schönnbrunn castle and visited Mozart's grave. But I also organized a pre-concert dinner with 20+ people from JWFAN, FSM, Maintitles etc., in the basement of a restaurant near the venue. Held a welcome speech that only lasted about a minute, but one particular guy from JWFAN (who's not to be named) talked loudly over it. Very rude.

Some of us hung out after the concert too. I remember James Southall and wife, Tim Burden, Basil Boehni and our own resident underwater photographer going out for a drink. At some point, I wanted to sing karaoke, and we went to James' hotel asking for it, but to no avail. Karaoke is not something you find in Vienna.

I went directly from Vienna to London to meet some of you for the Elfman concert at Royal Albert Hall (his first Tim Burton concert). But that's a story for a different time. I did not meet Elfman then, alas.

Hollywood in Vienna is a bit too "high class" for me, with dress codes and glitter. But at this point, I managed to find a good tone with the organizers beforehand. That helped me in towards my second visit too, which I'll get to next.

In any case, I'm extremely happy I got to interview and meet Horner before his tragic demise a couple of years later.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. The closest I got to that event was purchasing the recording of it on Blu-ray! Do you remember where you were sitting? I should pause it when they pan across the audience to see if I can find you, haha! smile What an amazing experience and memory Thor! You're super lucky to get to meet/see James Horner when you did! It seemed like it was a really special night for all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2021
    Yes, I was sitting just two rows behind Horner, slightly to the right. I don't own the Blu-ray, but I think I can be glimpsed in it. I was sitting next to James Southall and wife. I'm envious you own the Blu-ray!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2021
    It's only Tuesday, but I'm back from my holiday in the South of Norway, and thought I'd do another installment over a glass of white wine in the beautiful Oslo summer sun.

So, we're doing Hollywood in Vienna. I've only ever been to one other installment of this, the Danny Elfman event in 2017.

I travelled with Eirik Myhr this time, who's also an Elfman fan. We rented an Air B&B apartment fairly close to the city centre. Unfortunately, the press "junket" was several days before we arrived, so I came too late for a sit-down interview with Elfman. In return, the festival producers said I could be first in line for the red carpet interview just prior to the concert. And they were true to their word - I was not only alloted the first spot (even BEFORE the national news media), but also had a few extra minutes compared to those. I also interviewed conductor John Mauceri, Sandra Tomek and Robert Townson on the same red carpet. The results of this can be heard in this podcast episode:

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … l-edition/

Here's another pic from Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZs3JW1HcSm … _copy_link

To be honest, I can't remember much of what else we did, and I have no photo album of it (other than the red carpet photos). We probably did some more sightseeing, but not as much as my first trip. I know I accompanied Eirik to a few "nerd" stores.

I sincerely hope to make it to their 2022 edition, which highlights Alan Menken. He's on my third place of desired interviewees (after Williams and Zimmer.....well, and a longer, sit-down interview with Elfman, obviously).
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Must have been another dream come true meeting a legendary composer and being able to talk to him
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2021
    Yes, him, in particular. Although my interest in his work has waned over the last decade (except some great indie efforts), he's kinda always been my no. 2 after Williams. But I don't think I came off as a fanboy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2021 edited
    I'm trying to think of what the next installment should be, because now we've moved away from festivals into various single events.

Well, sort of. There's the Nordic Film Music Days that I've attended for many years now, wherever it has been (Berlin, Cannes, Helsinki, Trondheim come to mind). I've met many Nordic composers here -- some that you know (like Atli Örvarsson or Jóhann Jóhannsson) and some that you probably don't. They've also had international guests once in a while, and I've usually done interviews with them. Like Patrick Doyle, for example. It would be too much to list all of these. I interviewed Patrick Doyle by an indoors swimming pool at an hotel in the suburbs of Helsinki.

A few other single events:

I interviewed Giorgio Moroder a few years ago, when he was in Oslo for a concert. Met him at his hotel room in the most fancy hotel in Oslo. My friend came along as a "photographer". I was pleased when, at the end of the interview, he said "I've told you many stories I've never told anyone before". That was a win.

I interviewed George Fenton when he was in Oslo for a concert. Also a nice little chat in a small room at the Oslo Concert Hall.

I interviewed Trevor Rabin a couple of years ago (my last interview with a big-time composer). Also very nice, and he put me on the guest list (two tickets) for a concert he was having with Yes later that afternoon.

I interviewed Christophe Beck when he was in Oslo for the premiere of THE 12TH MAN, the Harald Zwart movie. I had to conduct the interview in a terrible auditorium-type room with lots of chatter and noise. I tried to cancel some of it in post-production, but alas it came through in the finished episode.

I'm sure there are several more, but now I really have to think back.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2021 edited
    Well, I just remembered another event.

Back in 2012, I went to LA to see Williams live at the Hollywood Bowl. But earlier in the day, Peter Hackman (of FSM and later Varese fame) hosted a film music event with multiple composers: Marco Beltrami, Robert Folk, Deborah Lurie, Graeme Revell, Theodore Shapiro, Richard Sherman, Bruce Broughton, George S. Clinton, Trevor Morris, Walter Murphy, Craig Safan and Edward Shearmur.

This took place at the Beverly Garland hotel.

I took some selfies here. One with Richard Sherman, just because he's a legend. One with Bruce Broughton, because of same. One with Marco Beltrami (who I was supposed to have met many years earlier, in Oslo, as he was here for the I AM DINA premiere -- but he was jetlagged and stayed in the hotel, while I trot around Oslo with his orchestrator Bill Boston instead). And one with Graeme Revell, who I've loved forever. We chatted a bit, mostly about US micro breweries, not film music.

The day before, I had attended a pool party at Henry Stanny's house (who goes by the name "Morricone" on FSM). Composer Stu Phillips was there, and greeted me with the words "Ah, the legendary Thor" when I arrived. That was a treat...and a bit awkward. He occasionally posts at FSM (he's 91 now, obviously about 10 years younger then). Also present was conductor and composer William Stromberg. Here's a late-night pic with the three of us.

After Peter Hackman's event, I was invited to a party at Christopher Young's house the next day, which I sadly had to decline because I had already pre-booked a trip to Catalina island. I regret it to this day -- the Catalina trip wasn't that good. It was a place mostly geared at couples.

OK, I'll take a break now while I think of other 'meet the composer' situations. Sorry. I don't intend it as gloating, but it's very useful for me personally to chart these events.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. That was a good mix of people to meet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2021 edited
    Gosh, I completely forgot about Pula, Croatia and their small film music festival there (the ISFMF - The International Sound and Film Music Festival), which I attended in 2018. It was a mixed experience, that's probably why it isn't in the forefront of my memory.

I was there at the time because they had launched a collaboration with the Camille award, and I was in the Norwegian jury of that award, so I travelled with the Norwegian composer organization NOPA (and our Norwegian nominee Ginge Anvik; Ola Fløttum -- who we also nominated and who eventually won for THELMA --- could not come in person). Other composers present included Richard Bellis, Ivan Palomares, Gary Marlowe, Rupert-Gregson Williams, Stephen Warbeck (who's somewhat of a festival "hound") and a few other less famous composers. Also present was famed Varese producer Robert Townson (also a festival "hound").

Can't say that we (i.e. I and the Norwegian delegation) felt particularly welcome. The organizers were more concerned with the big names and composers. So we mostly kept to ourselves. On one of the last days, there was a bus trip to a space observatory about an hour from the enclosed, desolate hotel where the festival was being held. Clearly, it was for the VIPs, and we were not invited. We basically had to "beg" to come, but were allowed in the end. Pretty nice trip, though....talked a bit with Robert Townson. I remember when we were in the observatory, they were playing music softly on the speakers, and I said "wouldn't it be perfect if they played something from Horner's DEEP IMPACT?", and sure enough -- two minutes later, they did. That made us smile a bit. There was also wine tasting.

During the closing party, I remember I belted out some Disney song in the hotel's lobby while someone accompanied on piano. No doubt fun to some, irritating to others.

But there was something about the whole "vibe" of the trip/event that felt off to me. For many years, I had wanted to go to Croatia, so I had high expectations for Pula. Came two days early to explore a bit, since the festival was being held far away from the city. OK town, but not the medieval glory I had expected (there are probably more impressive Croatian villages down the coast). And night life was basically non-existing. After I made my way to the labyrinthine, huge hotel resort where the event was being held, it felt impersonal and detached. Sure, there was a view to the sea, but there was nothing intimate or genuine about it. Then there was the detached organizers, and then there were the seminars, which were vacous and superficial. Can't say that I recommend this very much to people considering going (unless they've made some radical changes in recent years).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2022 edited
    Sorry to butt in with another brag post, but similar discussions over on FSM reminded me to add Zbigniew Preisner to the thread. This summer, I interviewed him (via Zoom) at the Norwegian Short Film Festival. I think he was in Greece at the time. Preisner is not only the greatest living European film composer who lives and works in Europe (IMO), but also a personal favourite, so this was a pleasure. Of course, Zoom is not the same as IRL, but still. Alas, there was no video or audio recording of the interview/Q&A (that also had director Jonas Matzow Gulbrandsen live in the auditorium, who worked with Preisner on his best score to date, VALLEY OF SHADOWS from 2017), but an acquaintance of mine took a Snapchat photo that I lated published on Facebook:

Preisner.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2023
    Anyone else have any more stories to share?
    I am extremely serious.