• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hi all - first time poster here, introducing myself. I'm the producer and host of Play Morricone For Me, an online radio show focusing on film soundtracks, which can be streamed anytime on Mixcloud, and is also syndicated on a number of radio stations in the US, UK and Australia. We focus on a different theme each week: here's a smattering of recent shows that I thought the folks in this forum might enjoy.

The Ecstasy of Goldsmith: Jerry Goldsmith's West
    Jerry Goldsmith's name doesn't come to mind as readily when thinking of the great composers of western film scores, but it should. As evidenced by this program, bookended by selections from Intrada Records' world premiere release of FACE OF A FUGITIVE and Varèse Sarabande's expanded re-release of LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION, Goldsmith proved to be exactly the right man for the job, musically speaking, as the western genre grew up and became alternately dark, gritty, referential and self-reflexive. Special thanks to Yavar Moradi of the Goldsmith Odyssey podcast for his assistance curating this playlist.

The Many Moods of Sylvia Kristel with guest Jeremy Richey
    Play Morricone For Me welcomes guest co-host Jeremy R. Richey, author of the forthcoming book, 'Sylvia Kristel: From Emmanuelle to Chabrol.' In a conversation punctuated by music from her films, Jeremy and Jack discuss how Kristel's role in the erotic blockbuster EMANUELLE overshadowed her more subtle turns in films like LA MARGE and ALICE, OR THE LAST ESCAPADE, and eclipsed the complicated and brilliant woman onscreen.

Outlaw Biker Movies
    Spring is in the air, the open highway beckons, and those leather chaps aren't gonna wear themselves. Play Morricone For Me presents this program on outlaw biker gang soundtracks, from the many moods of Davie Allan and the Arrows to the recent reissues of IT'S A REVOLUTION MOTHER and WEREWOLVES ON WHEELS.

Motion Picture Primates
    The nine-decade reign of the King of Skull Island continues with 2021's GODZILLA VS. KONG. Play Morricone For Me invites you to listen to this film music-filled tribute to the Eighth Wonder of the World and other cinematic great apes.

1951, The Year in Film Music
    Play Morricone for Me puts the spotlight on films and soundtracks that celebrate their 70th anniversary in 2021. Travel with us from Tennessee Williams' New Orleans to Ancient Rome to Bollywood to outer space in just the span of two hours.

Sea Shanty Soundtracks and Maritime Melodies
    Let go your shank painter and haul up your crew garnetts, as Play Morricone For Me voyages through the uncharted tides of sea shanty soundtracks and maritime melodies. Featuring a galleyfull of rousing tunes, from Erich Wolfgang Korngold to 'Assassin's Creed IV,' plus, we settle the matter for good on who performs the best version of "Spanish Ladies."

Black Cowboys
    For Black History Month 2021, Play Morricone For Me delves into the history of real-life African-American cowboys, exploring onscreen racial representation (and the lack thereof) in the western genre. Featuring music from the films of Herb Jeffries, Woody Strode, Jim Brown and others, from THE BRONZE BUCKAROO to DJANGO UNCHAINED and beyond.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2021
    Thanks for the heads-up! There are, like, a million podcasts/radio shows about film music out there (and to be honest, I'm more concerned with keeping up my own radio show/site), but seems like you have many great topics. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I took a listen to some of the Goldsmith Westerns show. Interesting and informative.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Thanks for the compliments, guys! Here's the latest show:

1961, The Year in Film Music

From pop to peplum, from Tiffany's to Navarone, Play Morricone For Me's epic, two-part musical survey of the cinematic year of 1961 includes, timeless classics, hidden gems, Oscar winners, horror, Bollywood, Disney, and more, and the film debuts of Ennio Morricone and Quincy Jones.