• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2021 edited
    Two film music events announced as part of the Film Fest Gent 2021. The film festival focuses on Greek cinema this year, so no wonder the music programme is breathing a Greek air.

Great Greek Composers (22 October 2021, Opera Gent)
    The concert Great Greek Composers with film music by - among others - Eleni Karaindrou, Mikis Theodorakis and Evanthia Reboutsika

https://www.filmfestival.be/en/news/fil … rs-concert

World Soundtrack Awards (23 October 2021, Opera Gent)
    Best known for her close collaboration with director Theo Angelopoulos, Greek composer Eleni Karaindrou will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award. She will accompany the Brussels Philharmonic conducted by Dirk Brossé, on piano.

Composer Max Richter will be the guest of honour at the World Soundtrack Awards Ceremony & Concert. The composer of Mary Queen of Scots, HBO's The Leftovers, Waltz with Bashir, BBC's Taboo, the hit series My Brilliant Friend and almost a dozen solo albums is coming to Ghent and will be working on a special WSA concert programme with Brussels Philharmonic and Dirk Brossé.

https://www.filmfestival.be/en/news/wsa … karaindrou
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2021 edited
    That's nice. Karaindrou is a good composer (love her THE BEEKEEPER score, as well as other Angelopoulouses), but not one I have a close connection to or anything.

But at this point, I'm just more eager to return to Ghent and you guys there, for the social stuff, than any particular attractions on the WSA programme. Probably won't happen this year, but I'm keen to make it happen as soon as the pandemic and the personal economics allow.

But.....a focus on Greek film music, and no mention of Vangelis anywhere?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2021
    I updated the original post. An other concert has been announced: Great Greek Composers.

Cool!

Eventhia was already a guest at the concert many years ago. No word of Vangelis, but I can't imagine they'll not play something of him, even though that might be harder in a concert setting.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2021 edited
    ''Her music has featured in popular films, notably the blockbuster Mad Max: Fury Road in which two of Karaindrou’s compositions were used, proving the fact that her scores have a cultural impact outside the films they were written for. Her latest film score will be heard in Terrence Malick’s new feature film, currently titled The Way of the Wind.''

While I think WSA does deserve some credit, these kinds of remarks are completely ridiculous. Cultural impact, which I strongly dislike, is not decided by the once in a life time re-use of a certain piece of score in a Mad Max films. It says nothing. Yes, another piece by her has also been re-used by Malick for Voyage of Time. Nobody knows what on earth is going to be featured in Way of the Wind, original score or re-use material. Such assumptions....

It recalls the Lifetime achievement award for Penderecki, which was almost a 100 procent based on re-used material.

I have no clue how these Lifetime achievements are decided, but I doubt anyone knows the full score scope Karaindrou' career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2021
    Joep, I agree with the language. often they reference Hollywood/American movies, as if it is only then there's importance, but at the same time, these festivals try to show and schedule films and shows far from Hollywood etc, to show there's more to it then that part of the world. It's a bit weird indeed.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Awards are one thing, I agree with that.

But in doing an obituary or overview article, and in the case of Penderecki, it makes sense to mention all the iconic moments in films where his existing music has been used (THE SHINING etc.). It would be disingenious to just mention his relatively obscure Polish production of original film scores. Both need to be mentioned. In my own obit, I mentioned his original Polish production, his concert music as well as the most famous examples of tracking his music in films.

In the case of Karaindrou, she has a far more famous original film music production due to her collaboration with Angeloupoulos. Penderecki never had that. In fact, I don't really know a lot of instances where her existing music is used in film outside the ones mentioned above. Both aspects should be covered.

But I'm guessing the Greek master of slow cinema is not "sexy" enough to sell tickets to a big WSA audience, so one needs to mention those big titles to draw crowds.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I agree in coverage, all aspects must be covered, but only if they are relevant. The thing is, WSA doesn't know what cultural impact means. How many people have been baffled by her music in Mad Max, quote referenced it, etc....
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2021
    Max Richter is Guest of Honour!

Composer Max Richter will be the guest of honour at the World Soundtrack Awards Ceremony & Concert. The composer of Mary Queen of Scots, HBO's The Leftovers, Waltz with Bashir, BBC's Taboo, the hit series My Brilliant Friend and almost a dozen solo albums is coming to Ghent and will be working on a special WSA concert programme with Brussels Philharmonic and Dirk Brossé.

https://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/n … ack-awards

Tickets are almost sold out unfortunately.
    Kazoo
  1. Bregt wrote
    Max Richter is Guest of Honour!

https://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/n … ack-awards

Tickets are almost sold out unfortunately.

Insane they're almost sold out. Not that I'm going, but still is this due to COVID? Limited seating?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2021
    Mainly due to change of venue. In the Opera there are only 1000 seats, in Capitol there were 2000. 't Kuipke had much more.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2021 edited
    I would have loved to see/hear/interview Richter. He's high on my list of desired interviewees, and I have pretty much 90% of all his stuff. But again -- if there are limited seats now already, and I can't plan anything untill late September at the earliest, it doesn't look well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2021
    Besides the concerts, there are again a few days of talks, seminars, panel talks at Film Fest Ghent (from Wed. 20 until Sat. 23 October):
    https://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/p … ustry-days

On the programme: Austin Wintory, Natalie Holt, Daniel Pemberton, Nainita Desai, Max Richter, Eleni Karaindrou, Evanthia Reboutsika, Gavin Brivik, Florencia Di Concilio, Benji Merrison, Anthony Willis, Emile Mosseri, Carlos Rafael Rivera, among others.

The Great Greek Composers concert still has some 'listening' seats available.

Hope to see some of you in Ghent again this year, after this very long covid period!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2021
    This starts today!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2021
    Wish I could have been there! Enjoy, fommes!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2021 edited
    I was there!

And my film music friends too. After almost two years, seeing them, chatting, having dinner, was the highlight.

Max Richter and Eleni Karaindrou were the guests of honour, the former taking up most of the concert part. But, to me, the highlight was the piece from The Weaping Meadow. Not only is it a fantastic theme, but I have very fond memories of this score, because I first heard it after Demetris send some selections to me, via postal mail, early in the days of scorereviews.com. Good times! Fitting the melancholy of the music. Eleni performed herself on the piano. There was an old type of violin of the 18th century too!

Clearly most of the people who bought a ticket, were here for Max Richter. Obviously On the Nature of Daylight was part of the concert, a piece from his album The Blue Notebooks, but used in Arrival, Shutter Island and many others. An other highlight, and the loudest part of the concert was a suite from The Leftovers, short but impressive. Also the two pieces from Werk Ohne Autor (Never Look Away) were good stuff. But it is also clear that Richter has a limited set of tricks in his bag. There isn't much difference in Mary Queen of Scotts or Never Look Away or Miss Sloane. It has the same buildups, same tempo, same long notes, ...

The concert was at the Opera building at the Kouter. We bought our tickets 5 days after the WSA announcement, and were only able to buy tickets at balcony level 4. Not a good view. Because of this, I missed the intimicy of the music, even though it was all excellently performed. I hope it's never there again.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2021
    Thank for the report, Bregt! What about the social stuff? What did you do?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2021 edited
    Kaat and I had to drop off kids at my parents for the day and night, so we joined the fun Mario and Thomas had a bit later. We went for a pre-concert dinner closeby the venue, so no hurry. Classy restaurant, separate room, with 9 people. Similar to the years you were in Ghent actually. Before the dinner we went to the same place Kaat en I often go when we are in Ghent, because they make the most delicious waffles with vanille. We convinced other people to do as well. biggrin

After the concert we went for a drink next to the Vooruit (Vooruit itself had a party, but we weren't into that).

It was great that the concert was on a Saturday again. That was a long time ago (the past few years, the concert was on a Wednesday or Thursday, not allowing or enthusiasming people to take holiday that day, to make space for dinner, drinks, chats, ...)

Looking forward to next year!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2021
    Sounds great. Obviously no partying untill the wee hours of the morning, since you're all so grown-up now, but seems like you made the most of the day.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2021
    Yes, we have all become very serious people.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2021
    Extremely serious, even.
    I am extremely serious.