• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Oh Cailin, you started something now wink

American Football:
    Remember the Titans (8)
    The Longest Yard (yes the Adam Sandler version, you got to accept the comedy but the game is quite thrilling) (7)
    Greater (though the trailer gave basically the whole story away haha) (8)
    The Replacements (Hackman outshines the rest, but there's a lot of depth in this one, typical underdog film, the trailer makes it look more stupid but there's a lot of heart in this)
    Rudy (8) With the legendary score by Jerry Goldsmith, slow movie but touching
    Concussion (8) Not perse a sports movie, but an intriguing look at the after effects of the sport. Terrific performance by Will Smith
    Invincible (8) Love this one, typical but true underdog story)
    We Are Marshall (7)
    Gridiron Gang (8) Love this one, true story and another good score by Trevor Rabin
    My All American (7)
    Touchback (8)

Baseball:
    A League of Their Own (adore Tom Hanks in this, mindblowing score by Zimmer) (8)
    Hardball (7)
    Field of Dreams (more intimate drama but really magical due to James Horner's score)
    For Love of the Game (7)
    The Rookie (7)
    The Final Season (7)

Basketball:
    Hoosiers a little dated by Hackman and Hopper are terrific (8)
    Glory Road (7)

Boxing:
    Warrior (8)
    Million Dollar Baby (10)
    Rocky (7) and Rocky 2 (8)
    Real Steel Really emotional, thanks to Hugh Jackman and Danny Elfman's score (8)

Car Races:
    Days of Thunder (7)
    Rush (8)

Golf:
    The Legend of Bagger Vance (7)
    The Greatest Game Ever Played (8)

Hockey:
    The Mighty Ducks trilogy (grew up with this) (7)
    Miracle (7) riveting final track by Mark Isham
    Mystery Alaska (7) All Star cast and a lot of heart, the trailer captures it decently

Horse Racing:
    Seabiscuit (8)
    Secretariat (8) Prefer it over Seabisquit
    Dreamer (7)

Surfing:
    Soul Surfer (true story about Bethany Hamilton) (7)

Tennis:
    Wimbledon (7)

Wrestling:
    Fighting with my Family (8) I love this one, has a lot of heart. Great role by Vince Vaughn as well, very mature

Other good sports movies
    Cool Runnings (7) John Candy is sooo good in this film
    Eddie the Eagle (8)
    Draft Day (7) I like this one, it's actually quite interesting because it focuses on buying and selling players. Good and funny cast too
    McFarland USA (8) Funny, another one by Kevin Costner, but it's good. Cross Country sounds boring but it works
    Million Dollar Arm (8) Typical Disney, but it works
    Racing Stripes (7) the trailer sucks, but the comedy is actually very funny, the heart is all over the place and it's got a fabulous Mark Isham score
    Moneyball (8) it's more technical and less about sports but it's so damn well acted by Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill
    Dodgeball (7) for its utter silliness but I adore it, perhaps not for you but who knows wink

I'm sure I'm still forgetting some, but I have never seen Ford vs Ferrari, The Natural, so still gotta catch up on some others wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2021 edited
    Wow, those are a lot of selections!

I did an episode on sports movie scores once. Only ten in it, so it pales in comparison to Thomas', but you can view them here (press "view playlist"): http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … rtsfilmer/

Not really a fan of the film genre, but it has spawned many great scores, for sure.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Wow, cool! So are those ratings next to the films? Like a 7 out of 10?
  3. I've only seen four of the football ones. And also When The Game Stands Tall with Jim Caviezel, based on the coaching career of Bob Ladouceur (which, fun story, it one of my mom's oldest friends. She and my dad even coached him for his interview for the coaching job at De La Salle, isn't that wild?) Have you seen that one?
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote

Dodgeball (7) for its utter silliness but I adore it, perhaps not for you but who knows wink

You might be surprised by this, but Zoolander is one of my favorite comedies of all time - I just think it's SO hilarious! (And none of my siblings understand why.) So Dodgeball might be my jam after all! I'm pretty sure I saw it in the theater when it came out, but don't remember a thing about it! So either, a) I didn't like it and blocked it from my memory, or b) was laughing so hard that I don't remember what was happening...clearly, I need to see it again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2021
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    1) Thor
    2) Cailin
    3) Bregt

I'm not the last one but the third one! biggrin

Good stuff. Thanks Thomas. Listening to the Great Raid now. cool

Will listen to the full cues too. Thanks!
    Kazoo
  5. Filmscoregirl wrote
    Wow, cool! So are those ratings next to the films? Like a 7 out of 10?

Yes, 7 or 8 means out of 10
    I only listed the good ones. 6 or lower I didn't list here
  6. Filmscoregirl wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

You might be surprised by this, but Zoolander is one of my favorite comedies of all time - I just think it's SO hilarious! (And none of my siblings understand why.) So Dodgeball might be my jam after all! I'm pretty sure I saw it in the theater when it came out, but don't remember a thing about it! So either, a) I didn't like it and blocked it from my memory, or b) was laughing so hard that I don't remember what was happening...clearly, I need to see it again!

Haven't really seen Zoolander, but perhaps you'll enjoy Dodgeball then. smile
  7. Filmscoregirl wrote
    I've only seen four of the football ones. And also When The Game Stands Tall with Jim Caviezel, based on the coaching career of Bob Ladouceur (which, fun story, it one of my mom's oldest friends. She and my dad even coached him for his interview for the coaching job at De La Salle, isn't that wild?) Have you seen that one?

Yes I did, I gave it 7 out of 10. So another one that I forgot on the list wink

Anyway, even if you see and like a couple my work has had some meaning smile
    If you see one, tell me what you think of it. I might be biased on some, but they may all look the same and I would still like em. Just a couple of "meaningfull" dialogues or lessons of life and I'm sold smile
  8. Bregt wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    1) Thor
    2) Cailin
    3) Bregt

I'm not the last one but the third one! biggrin

Good stuff. Thanks Thomas. Listening to the Great Raid now. cool

Will listen to the full cues too. Thanks!

Cool cool

I can start another game soon? Or Thor do you want to do yours?
  9. Thor wrote
    Wow, those are a lot of selections!

I did an episode on sports movie scores once. Only ten in it, so it pales in comparison to Thomas', but you can view them here (press "view playlist"): http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … rtsfilmer/

Not really a fan of the film genre, but it has spawned many great scores, for sure.

The Natural is one to check out, never really paid attention about Cobb. But might be worth checking out
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2021
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I can start another game soon? Or Thor do you want to do yours?

No, by all means, start another. I'll let people know when mine is ready. There's an upcoming summer holiday coming, so I can't tell when that's gonna be.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Let's start quizzing, round 2

Game Quiz 2

I know this will probably frustrate you, but my goal is actually making sure you get interested in the score (or specific track) solely by these selections. For those who want to know more, I can always upload the (full) cues I have of this particular score afterwards wink

Oh and remember: 1 composer gets 5 selections here, 1st of 5 is found in sample 4
    1 point for the score, 1 point for the composer (3 if you guess the 2 together)

Hints
    1) Sparks are literally flying around, this unknown composer gives animation another magical encore. Jon Broxton had this to say about it (So, again, I implore the world’s independent soundtrack producers to take a chance on ... Trust me, you won’t regret it. )
    2) French composer channeling John Williams, stars a young Magneto too
    3) These naughty dogs truly the best games, and the composer breaks ground with this exhilarating cue for the 4th game of the series
    4) Shockingly never before released score, but this film about animals soars through this composer's fabulous score. Marks first of 5 selections of this composer
    5) The fun on this journey never ends. This composer doesn't deliver this riveting stuff anymore, but once he was considered the next hot adventure composer to go to.
    6) Rarely were goosebumps felt once seeing this over the New Line Cinema logo, stars take it or leave it actor of funny faces
    7) You can't go wrong with these Sid Meier games, the composers always deliver the best for the countries of the game. This one's from 2016.
    8) There's nothing private about this life, but this legendary composer gets one re recording after another. So it surely sounds amazing even though it's quite old.
    9) Two beloved heroes who's story always begins like this: The year is 50 BC. Gaul is entirely occupied by the Romans. Well, not entirely” And this French composer gives it all he's got.
    10) Ah a sport's movie, perhaps I'm bragging how fabulous this score is no?
    11) The horror composer doing a monkey movie? Well epic never sounded more chilling than hell.
    12) Everything collides together in this film, quite a classic and a stellar cast make for a memorable film. Directed by the person who wrote several screenplays for Bond movies.
    13) A wolf at the gate? Hmn these Warcraft games are always full of spectacular moments
    14) Hero's always get rousing scores. This composer made Police movies and masters the genre well
    15) The games starring Mark Hamill were legendary, but this movie adaptation tried to do it with Freddie Prince Jr. Pfff never the same thing.
    16) Losing someone is always hard. I guess the composer found the perfect theme for Isaiah
    17) Dreams really come true in this factory. The German composer makes it shine.
    18) I didn't say it out loud, but this composer made bullet time sound fascinating.
    19) Wow another sports score? Man it sounds miraculous.
    20) Quite the revelation. This game score from 2014 just has a fabulous theme.

Good luck everyone
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2021
    Damn....I was supposed to have a productive writing day today, but now I'm more tempted by this. You'll have some attempted answers soon. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    OK, sent my answers! Many of these, I don't know (or haven't even heard), but your clues helped a lot in many cases.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. That's review writing out the window! Love a good quiz.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. FalkirkBairn wrote
    That's review writing out the window! Love a good quiz.

And at least now you can play smile
  13. Thor wrote
    OK, sent my answers! Many of these, I don't know (or haven't even heard), but your clues helped a lot in many cases.

And Thor starts out strong: 39 points

Who can beat that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not bad, but I would be utterly helpless without the hints!
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Thor wrote
    Not bad, but I would be utterly helpless without the hints!

That's why they are there. I know I present them too difficult. But I'm sharing the love of these tracks wink
  15. I have to apologize, but I made a mistake for hint 4. It's not Disney but it's about animals. Changed the hint
  16. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

And Thor starts out strong: 39 points

Who can beat that?

Thor upped his score up to 49: he's missing all but several scores.
    People will have to get a nearly perfect score to beat him here smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not sure the 'second chance' should count, though, but you make the rules. As long as everyone else gets a second chance too! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  17. Thor wrote
    Not sure the 'second chance' should count, though, but you make the rules. As long as everyone else gets a second chance too! smile

Yes, it's still about having fun wink
  18. So far Thor Thor leads comfortably with 49 points. Alan enters the field and takes a first stab with 9 points, but now he's gonna dissect all those hints. So beware smile
  19. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    So far Thor Thor leads comfortably with 49 points. Alan enters the field and takes a first stab with 9 points, but now he's gonna dissect all those hints. So beware smile

Nine points is a woeful score! shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  20. I certainly won't beat Thor's score, as I'd only heard a couple before, but enjoyed listening and guessing some!
  21. Cailin steps up and gets 17 points, got all the 5 selections correctly.

1) Thor: 49
    2) Cailin: 17
    3) Alan: 9

Who wants to add their thoughts?
  22. I'm happy with 17! Mostly relieved that the ones I had heard before (and actually own) I was able to get correct. I wanted to guess the rest based on the clues, but gosh, I was just stumped even then! I'm sure I'll go, "Oh, of course!" when you reveal the answers, but it's hard if you feel like you don't have a reference point to start from, haha!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2021
    17 is decent! If it had been a straight 'guess the score' game without any clues, I think most of us would be...well, clueless. I only recognized a couple through sheer sonic familiarity -- like no. 12, which is one of my alltime favourite scores.
    I am extremely serious.