• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Okay, gonna rap this up, results are out.
    Sadly only 3 contestants but it makes sure everyone has a place on the podium punk

1) Thor
    2) Cailin
    3) Alan

Fun facts:
    Thor and Cailin guessed the Mark Isham angle

Anyway, here are the answers and the full clips for you to enjoy

Game 2 Complete Cues

Mark was our main composer with 5 selections:

Game 2

1) Sparks are literally flying around, this unknown composer gives animation another magical encore. Jon Broxton had this to say about it (So, again, I implore the world’s independent soundtrack producers to take a chance on ... Trust me, you won’t regret it. )

Spark (2017) (Robert Duncan) It was literally in the hint, SPARK wink

2) French composer channeling John Williams, stars a young Magneto too

Angel (2007) (Philippe Rombi): The young Magneto was Michael Fassbender in one of his earlier roles. The composer is mostly known for the excellent Joyeux Noel.

3) These naughty dogs truly the best games, and the composer breaks ground with this exhilerating cue for the 4th game of the series

Uncharted 4 (2016) (Henry Jackman): Naughty Dogs in the famous company that made the cinematic Uncharted and Last of Us games, and Jackman does wonders here with a thrilling action piece.

4) Shockingly never before released score, but this Disney fare soars through this composer's fabulous score. Marks first of 5 selections of this composer

Fly Away Home (1996) (Mark Isham): never before released, feels like Disney fare but it isn't. But one of his ever best scores of our composer of the game.

5) The fun on this journey never ends. This composer doesn't deliver this riveting stuff anymore, but once he was considered the next hot adventure composer to go to.

Journey 2: Mysterious Island (Andrew Lockington): rarely has Lockington done better, but this thrilling adventure score is his ever-best. Film series of course stars Dwayne Johnson that sadly never got that 3rd Journey adventure.

6) Rarely were goosebumps felt once seeing this over the New Line Cinema logo, stars take it or leave it actor of funny faces. As a gift from me, you get my personally composed suite.

The Mask (1994) (Randy Edelman): typical opening of Edelman, funny film starring Jim Carrey. The full suite is for you to enjoy (though it's as crazy as the film)

7) You can't go wrong with these Sid Meier games, the composers always deliver the best for the countries of the game. This one's from 2016.

Civilization VI (2016) (Geoff Knorr): these game scores always have the best tracks of the year. Their entire score for this game house some of the all time bests of the series.

8) There's nothing private about this life, but this legendary composer gets one re recording after another. So it surely sounds amazing even though it's quite old.

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970) (Miklos Rosza): One of the many re recordings, this Tadlow edition holds many riches. A suite to get the real taste of the score.

9) Two beloved heroes who's story always begins like this: The year is 50 BC. Gaul is entirely occupied by the Romans. Well, not entirely” And this French composer gives it all he's got.

Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra (2002) (Philippe Chany): Starring Monica Bellucci as Cleopatra, this score is found mostly in European circles but it has a fabulous western theme (you hear here) but also a thrilling action piece that you have to discover in this full suite.

10) Ah a sport's movie, perhaps I'm bragging how fabulous this score is no?

Racing Stripes (2005) (Mark Isham): hinted this in the many sports movies. A fun film with a fabulous score. This is the thrilling race theme.

11) The horror composer doing a monkey movie? Well epic never souded more chilling than hell.

The Monkey King (2015) (Christopher Young): Naturally our horror composer is Young, but nothing horrific about this fabulous epic for the Monkey King series.

12) Everything collides together in this film, quite a classic and a stellar cast make for a memorable film. Directed by the person who wrote several screenplays for Bond movies.

Crash (2004) (Mark Isham): The director wrote several screenplays, and the movie is quite a spectacular collision of stars.

13) A wolf at the gate? Hmn these Warcraft games are always full of spectacular moments

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor (2014) (Jason Hayes): This track is called Wolf at the Gates and I just had to include it. Such a fantastic cue in the grand tradition of the Warcraft games

14) Hero's always get rousing scores. This composer made Police movies and masters the genre well

Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Tome (1991) (Robert Folk): Naturally Folk is mostly known for his Police Academy films (and theme) but he did sure other legendary scores too. This failed adventure film houses a fabulous main theme in an 8 minute tour de force. Recommended!

15) The games starring Mark Hamill were legendary, but this movie adaptation tried to do it with Freddie Prince Jr. Pfff never the same thing.

Wing Commander (1999) (David Arnold & Kevin Kiner). Kevin Kiner composed the score, but he had David Arnold's (in true Stargate / Godzilla fashion) theme as cornerstone. The games were quite epic and starred Mark Hammill, but this movie adaptation sucks.

16) Losing someone is always hard. I guess the composer found the perfect theme for Isaiah

Losing Isaiah (1995) (Mark Isham): It was once again in the hints, but I utterly adore this theme.

17) Dreams really come true in this factory. The german composer makes it shine.

Dream Factory (2019) (Philipp Noll): One of the surprises of 2019, the final cues are magical.

18) I didn't say it out loud, but this composer made bullet time sound fascinating.

The Unsaid (2001) (Don Davis): Bullet time? Naturally The Matrix, but Davis is more than that. This is an intriguing drama / thriller score.

19) Wow another sports score? Man it sounds miraculous.

Miracle (2004) (Mark Isham): It's in the hint again haha. Yes, a fabulous final track make for a memorable Mark Isham moment.

20) Quite the revelation. This game score from 2014 just has a fabulous theme.

Revelation (2014) (Neal Acree): The absolute highlight of an otherwise laidback game score, this theme is sensational. And of course it was right again in the hints wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2021
    Angel (2007) (Philippe Rombi): The young Magneto was Michael Fassbender in one of his earlier roles. The composer is mostly known for the excellent Joyeux Noel.

Ah, so there WAS another Frenchman scoring a Fassbender movie! My wrong guess here was Desplat's THE LIGHT BETWEEN OCEANS.

Uncharted 4 (2016) (Henry Jackman): Naughty Dogs in the famous company that made the cinematic Uncharted and Last of Us games, and Jackman does wonders here with a thrilling action piece.

Was chanceless here. My lack of knowledge about contemporary videogames became apparent. Not even the clues could save me. Now, if it had been 90s videogames, on the other hand....

Fly Away Home (1996) (Mark Isham): never before released, feels like Disney fare but it isn't. But one of his ever best scores of our composer of the game.

A-ha! I actually own that score (actually a pretty great boot) and love it. But I haven't played it as much as I should have. The Disney thing threw me off.

Dream Factory (2019) (Philipp Noll): One of the surprises of 2019, the final cues are magical.

Another one I didn't get. I think I sampled a promo back in 2019, but it failed to engage me much, so it was quickly deleted. But I agree -- the cue you chose is pretty nice.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    17 is decent! If it had been a straight 'guess the score' game without any clues, I think most of us would be...well, clueless. I only recognized a couple through sheer sonic familiarity -- like no. 12, which is one of my alltime favourite scores.

Totally! I only recognized 3 immediately based on hearing alone, but was pleasantly surprised that I even knew that many, haha! Feels like validation that all my money hasn't been wasted on film scores, since I must be listening to them! biggrin
  3. So fun to see the answers! I've only heard the Mark Isham scores, so I need to do a lot more exploring! Great selections Thomas, as I didn't hear a single clip I didn't like!
  4. I have heard most of these at least once but my recall is pretty poor. Not a big fan of Isham so I was unlikely to get many more of these.

And looking at the titles I haven't played any of the games and only seen one of the films!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Filmscoregirl wrote
    So fun to see the answers! I've only heard the Mark Isham scores, so I need to do a lot more exploring! Great selections Thomas, as I didn't hear a single clip I didn't like!

that's what I want, people liking the selections wink
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I have heard most of these at least once but my recall is pretty poor. Not a big fan of Isham so I was unlikely to get many more of these.

And looking at the titles I haven't played any of the games and only seen one of the films!

Thing is Alan, you are like me. Always exploring the next hidden treasure. So you don't immediately go back to the past. And therefore you don't remember these well. I wonder if I'll do better if any of you ever do a quiz. I'll probably have the same problem.
  7. Thor wrote

Ah, so there WAS another Frenchman scoring a Fassbender movie! My wrong guess here was Desplat's THE LIGHT BETWEEN OCEANS.

Was chanceless here. My lack of knowledge about contemporary videogames became apparent. Not even the clues could save me. Now, if it had been 90s videogames, on the other hand....

A-ha! I actually own that score (actually a pretty great boot) and love it. But I haven't played it as much as I should have. The Disney thing threw me off.

Another one I didn't get. I think I sampled a promo back in 2019, but it failed to engage me much, so it was quickly deleted. But I agree -- the cue you chose is pretty nice.

About Dream Factory, I think I only kept the last 2 tracks. So probably you had the same response of the first part like I had.
  8. I have other selections standing ready (just need to do the hints)
    I can honestly say, the next should be (a little hehe) easier

Or if someone else wants a go? By all means
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2021
    I'm currently on my summer holiday, so no chance of creating a quiz untill mid July at the earliest. So go ahead, Thomas!
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I have other selections standing ready (just need to do the hints)

One of the good things about the quizzes you do is that I now have the clips and the answers and I can revisit the clips again and again.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I have other selections standing ready (just need to do the hints)

One of the good things about the quizzes you do is that I now have the clips and the answers and I can revisit the clips again and again.

Yes I hope people are downloading the full clips too. One of the things in the upcoming quizzes is that I don't take the best moment anymore, but the second you hear a full clip (usually with a suite) you'll uncover some wonderful never before heard music that I mixed together.

Because I'm giving away a lot of "unreleased" music wink

Trust me, more great music to come
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2021
    Ohnoe! I missed it. I haven't seen the answers yet, so I'll play, but only this weekend.
    Kazoo
  11. Bregt wrote
    Ohnoe! I missed it. I haven't seen the answers yet, so I'll play, but only this weekend.

Oh good, I'll upload my new quiz as well, you can do 2 in a row then wink
  12. Let's start quizzing, round 3

Game Quiz 3

I know this will probably frustrate you, but my goal is actually making sure you get interested in the score (or specific track) solely by these selections. For those who want to know more, I can always upload the (full) cues I have of this particular score afterwards wink

Oh and remember: 1 composer gets 5 selections here, 1st of 5 is found in sample 1
    1 point for the score, 1 point for the composer (3 if you guess the 2 together)

1) We immediately kick off by our composer of those 5 selections. This should have been a classic, but the movie failed (though it had one of the greatest actors directing it). Apparently playing a long list of historical figures isn't the same when you actually have to direct a feature. Luckily he chose the right composer for the job
    2) This fun animated movie even received a sequel (though never as good as the original). Must have been because we didn't have BA in the sequel. Anyway this is the first one, housing immediately the great main theme
    3) One of the best games ever made. Pure movie story telling in a game. This composer is just lately bringing out wonderful stuff, but he got it right way before and centered the game around multiple themes, this is our leading lady's theme
    4) Crappy sound, that's why they re recorded it and threw 3 selections on the same composer's other re recording released by Tadlow. Anyway one of the all time greats at work here.
    5) Ah, another amazing Netflix series here, and this time 2 composers creating the magic. A dance in a cement truck, who would have thought this would give us this throwback to the 80's?
    6) A king, horses, wind? What's that all about? Well this composer doesn't care and creates another classic for this Newmarket Race
    7) Merely seconds away and you'll guess the composer, but which score? Because this is surely used in several scores no?
    8) Ah we're back to the games where we get the yearly best cues? I'm always picking the cues by the same composer. He truly must make them memorable, especially this Attila the Hun cue
    9) If you don't know his lesser works by this famous composer, then you really ought to discover them. The theme alone is gorgeous
    10) The love theme, and then the adventurous main theme, I adore this composer so much. Because he makes his scores center around themes. Very obscure film, but it did star Christopher Lee and John Rhys Davies?
    11) A Queen of the river? Starring the pre-cog that starred just several years before in a Steven Spielberg classic. Anyway, this theme is stellar
    12) The sequel to a game where soldiers battle on frozen planets. Not really a good game, but the score does kick ass. Composer does B movies now, but he should have stayed in the gaming world where he tackled Pirates of the Caribbean, LOTR, The Golden Compass and other game classics.
    13) Famous composer for a strong bloody film. I have a full suite, but here we focus on Solomon's theme
    14) My fellow countryman kicking ass in Hollywood, has the same name of a score that just recently received a deluxe edition. Anyway a fabulous suite housing the main theme and the love theme for the actress that became our very own Ellie
    15) a symphonic tribute concert held twice in Cologne, Germany on 23 August 2008 featuring video game music. The concert was held in honor of the German-born video-game composer ??? and featured orchestral arrangements exclusively based on ??? works throughout his 22-year-long career
    16) Featured in the film, but not on CD. Ah drats, that's why we have extended scores out there.
    17) Another cue that didn't make it on the CD. At least the themes should give it what we're on?
    18) Probably the biggest conquering theme of all, William never received a finer time
    19) All that fuzz to catch an owl? Anyway, the games never received the same stardom as the books or the film
    20) This is so unfair of me, but this extended cue was never commercially released. So how can you recognize it? Well the chaotic choral end was featured in the shortened cue that did made it to the original soundtrack. Only they omitted several minutes, which you hear here. Truly an outrage, and therefore I urge the world to hear it. From 2 composers who worked together only once. One did an Aliens movie, the other a film about funny faces
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2021
    Nice! I don't know how long you intend to keep it open, but I'm still on my summer holiday. Will probably be back in Oslo by the weekend, so I'll get to it then.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Will keep it open, no worries. Enjoy your vacation.
  14. It's been a busy week so haven't had a chance to look at this yet. But I will go this weekend.
  15. no problem, it stays open for a while
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2021
    Alright, gave it a shot. This was - by FAR! - the most difficult of them. Your clues helped in some instances, but in others not. Lots of obscure stuff here -- especially for someone who is completely out of the loop in terms of contemporary videogames. Let's see how it goes! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  16. Thor is definitely a master at this, but he needs competition people. Just give it your best shot smile

1) Thor: 39 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2021
    Yes, please participate! Thomas has put a lot of work into this! (there, that should make you lurkers feel guilty enough! wink).
    I am extremely serious.
  17. Thor just used his bonus card and added some extra points, an impressive 53 points now

Come on people, if not to beat Thor, ,do it for the fine selections wink

1) Thor: 53 points
  18. I've not been well the last few days and still feel crappy. But I will try and take a look in the next couple of days.
  19. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've not been well the last few days and still feel crappy. But I will try and take a look in the next couple of days.

Ow, no worries Alan. At your own time when you're better
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2021
    Feel better, Alan! We want you in shape for the next Zoom chat!
    I am extremely serious.
  20. when is this exactly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2021
    Not planned yet.
    I am extremely serious.
  21. I'm guessing people can't play this round for various reasons. Do I need to upload it again?
  22. I only know 2.5 of them, and thought with those odds, it would be silly to just throw wild guesses at the rest. But if you'd like to me to, I can submit my pitiful answer sheet! smile