• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I can close this one, just give you all the full clips wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2021
    Go ahead!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Please somebody tell me the title of the Horner piece from the quiz! I couldn't believe it was one of the very few that I don't own/haven't heard, so I'd love to know what it was! smile
  3. Sorry this seemed to fall at a bad time shame
    Anyway, here are the answers

Game composer with 5 selections: the amazing John Scott smile

Here are the full clips for those who want to hear the rest, I fully recommend it, lots of long suites I made myself. You'll see my recommendations with the answers wink

Full Clips

Game 3 Answers

1) We immediately kick off by our composer of 5 selections. This should have been a classic, but the movie failed though it had one of the greatest actors directing it. Apparently playing a long list of historical figures isn't the same when you actually have to direct a feature. Luckily he chose the right composer for the job

Recommended Anthony and Cleopatra (1972) by John Scott: Charlton Heston directed this one, didn't receive good reviews. But Scott does miracles with his themes.

2) This fun animated movie even received a sequel (though never as good as the original). Must have been because we didn't have BA in the sequel. Anyway this is the first one, housing immediately the great main theme

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009) by Mark Mothersbaugh: Mr.T (B.A. Baracus) was one of the hilarious features in this fun animated movie. The sequel should be avoided.

3) One of the everbest games ever made. Pure movie story telling in a game. This much attacked composer got it right and centered the game around multiple themes, this is our leading lady's theme

Recommended Beyond Two Souls (2013) by Lorne Balfe: It's a cinematic experience, courtesy of Balfe's amazing music. Multiple themes, this is the glorious Jodie's Theme.

4) Crappy sound, that's why they re recorded it and threw 3 selections on the same composer's other re recording released by Tadlow. Anyway one of the all time greats at work here.

The Chairman (1969) by Jerry Goldsmith: was featured on The Blue Galaxy re recording, and luckily because this main theme is just amazing.

5) Ah, another amazing Netflix series here, and this time 2 composers creating the magic. A dance in a cement truck, who would have thought this would give us this throwback to the 80's?

Cobra Kai (Season 2) (2020) by Leo Birenberg & Zach Robinson: these composers deliver some magic in series 2, and this is one of the highlights. A wonderful 80's nostalgic trip

6) A king, horses, wind? What's that all about? Well this composer doesn't care and creates another classic for this Newmarket Race

King of the Wind (1990) by John Scott: Newmarket Race was actually the track title, but I'm giving you a suite I made myself, housing the wonderful themes of the score.

7) Merely seconds away and you'll guess the composer, but which score? Because this is surely used in several scores no?

Sneakers (1992) by James Horner: I'm sure many of you were just wondering, my god where is this from? The composer's style is all over the place but it did feature in several scores.

8) Ah we're back to the games where we get the yearly best cues? I'm always picking the cues by the same composer. He truly must make them memorable, especially this Attila the Hun cue

Civilization V: Gods & Kings (2012) by Geoff Knorr: Always this Knorr fella, but he does write some amazing stuff. The Attila the Hun cue is catchy.

9) If you don't know his lesser works by this famous composer, then you really ought to discover them. The theme alone is gorgeous

Sabrina (1995) by John Williams: I omitted the main theme, but surely everybody guessed the composer immediately.

10) The love theme, and then the adventurous main theme, I adore this composer so much. Because he makes this score centers around theme. Very obscure film, but it did star Christopher Lee and John Rhys Davies?

Recommended Shogun Mayeda (1991) by John Scott: very obscure film, but Scott does wonders again by delivering wonderful themes. A love theme and a main theme.

11) A Queen of the river? Starring the pre cog that starred just several years before in a Steven Spielberg classic. Anyway, this theme is stellar

Recommended River Queen (2005) by Karl Jenkins: the pre cog was Samantha Morton of Minority Report fame. This suite I'm giving you you've got to hear, it's so good.

12) The sequel to a game where soldiers battle on frozen planets. Not really a good game, but the score does kick ass. Composer does B movies now, but he should have stay in the gaming world where he tackled Pirates of the Carribean, LOTR, The Golden Compass and other game classics.

Recommended Lost Planet 2 (2011) by Jamie Christopherson: wonderful ballsy suite housing game music at its finest

13) Famous composer for a strong bloody film. I have a full suite, but here we focus on Solomon's theme

Recommended Blood Diamond (2006) by James Newton Howard: I'm giving you a full suite here, but the wonderful African theme for Solomon's theme is such a treat as well.

14) My fellow countryman kicking ass in Hollywood, has the same name of a score that just recently received a deluxe edition. Anyway a fabulous suite housing the main theme and the love theme for the actress that became our very own Ellie

Recommended Lionheart (1990) by John Scott: Did I already tell you how much I adore Scott? Well it's because of stuff like this. Jean Claude Van Damme and a movie about him fighting, and yet you get Goldsmithian music. The daughter in the film because the voice actress for Ellie in the Last of us games.

15) a symphonic tribute concert held twice in Cologne, Germany on 23 August 2008 featuring video game music. The concert was held in honor of the German-born video-game composer Chris Hülsbeck, and featured orchestral arrangements exclusively based on Hülsbeck's works throughout his 22-year-long career

Symmphonic Shades (2009) by Chris Huelbeck: I know this is very obscure, but it's such wonderful re orchestrated game music that you must here. I'm giving you all my selections as bonus.
    16) Featured in the film, but not on CD. Ah drats, that's why there are the extended scores out there.

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) by Hans Zimmer: this was heard in the film, and yet Zimmer never released on his album. So you have to get it from other sources then. I'm sorry but when I want to hear cool music, you got to find every source available. I love the “Dogs Chasing Cars” moment in the end.

17) Another cue that didn't make it on the few selections on the CD. At least the themes should give it what we're on?

The Polar Express (2004) by Alan Silvestri: Yes another cue that didn't make it to the song / score release. But you must have gotten the main theme as an action statement no?

18) Probably the biggest conquering theme of all, William never received a finer time

Recommended William the Conqueror (1990) by John Scott: Another obscure score of him, but what a stellar theme. The name was in the hint.

19) All that fuzz to catch an owl? Anyway, the games never receive the same stardom as the books or the film

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) by James Hannigan: the games did have some wonderful music too. And this cheerful / magical cue is one of the finest. Makes you think of William's Buckbeak flying cue.

20) This is so unfair of me, but this selection never made it to the original soundtrack. So how can you recognize it? Well the chaotic choral end was featured in the cue. Only they omitted the glorious first minutes. Truly an outrage, and therefore I urge you to hear it. From 2 composers who worked together only once. One did an Aliens movie, the other a film about funny faces

Recommended Gods & Generals (2003) by John Frizzell & Randy Edelman: sequel to Gettysburg, this movie was not as memorable (nor was the score). But perhaps it's because they omit the grandest cues of it? This amazing heroic encore is a tour de force that was never heard, but it did feature the atonal sizzling choral end (released commercially in the shortened VMI Will be Heard From Today)
  4. I knew Sabrina and Blood Diamond right away, but that was it! It really goes to show how much film music there really is out there! And how much I haven't heard! Thanks for making these quizzes Thomas, definitely "ear" opening, haha!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2021 edited
    Ah, SNEAKERS!! How annoying I didn't get that. I've listened to the soundtrack many, many times.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. As long as you guys listen to those full clips. Some stunning material there wink
    And if you want to hear more samples just let me know. Some I turned into suites, but some I have several tracks off